Thread: Rodgers v Glennon: Contract Demand

Rodgers v Glennon: Contract Demand

How a $15 million per year Mike Glennon deal started a Twitter fueled contract controversy for Aaron Rodgers.

1. Bears are rumored to be leading contender for Mike Glennon this spring, and he is rumored to be getting offers in the $15 mil per year range.

2. Rodgers gets asked about by Wilde on his radio show about whether this means by transitive property that his salary should increase.

Speaking in an interview on ESPN Wisconsin's Wilde & Tausch that aired Wednesday morning, Rodgers was asked if reports that Glennon, with 18 career starts, might get $15 million per year on the open market should lead to discussions about his own contract.

"I think it has to," Rodgers said. "I think it has to."

Rodgers then chuckled and added, "I don't think I need to expand on that."
    3. You can imagine what happened next. Culminated by PFT doing what PFT does (overhype something and link back to what they have previously written in poorly reasoned fashion):

ProFootballTalk‏ @ProFootballTalk
    Aaron Rodgers, grossly underpaid in light of recent cap increases, finally makes it clear he wants a new deal https://t.co/Az88PgYCeA

4. This catches some attention, until Rodgers bats it down, by taking a swipe at old foe PFT:

Aaron Rodgers‏ @AaronRodgers12
    Actually, I said 4 words. And was referring to comparing contracts between players that play the same position. #fake news

5. Nagler also tried to pump this up. But lost in translation is that Rodgers never gave a timeline. He is clearly underpaid now, but even QB contracts don't get ripped up with 3 years to go.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This is the problem with every starting NFL QB getting about the same money

There is a huge difference between an elite QB and an a stage starter

And there should be a huge difference is salary too

I call in the Jordan problem

In the mid nineties, after getting away with paying Michael Jordan next to nothing for years, the bulls made up for it by giving him a massive deal worth 25 or 30 million a year. It was a make up deal for a once in a lifetime talent

What happened, anyone who ever played in an all-star game started demanding the same thing, and now you have guys that average 4 points a game making 15-20 million

But the NFL, NBA and teams make shitloads of money off us no matter what

So, what ever

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

What happened, anyone who ever played in an all-star game started demanding the same thing, and now you have guys that average 4 points a game making 15-20 million
    That wasn't Jordan, that was a spectacularly bad version of the salary cap that could be circumvented like no one's business. Plus incentives to had out max contracts like candy to your own players.

They cured it by handing the good players even more and stifling the middle and bottom. Then during the last lockout they stiffed the top end too.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    If AR wanted a new contract he would get a new contract.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Quite. If he even hinted at wanting a new deal Russ and Ted would be sitting at his dining room table within the hour.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Quite. If he even hinted at wanting a new deal Russ and Ted would be sitting at his dining room table within the hour.
    He would send them the contract that he wanted, signed and wait for the direct deposit.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

he already hinted when he said what he said.
    Speaking in an interview on ESPN Wisconsin's Wilde & Tausch that aired Wednesday morning, Rodgers was asked if reports that Glennon, with 18 career starts, might get $15 million per year on the open market should lead to discussions about his own contract.

"I think it has to," Rodgers said. "I think it has to."

Rodgers then chuckled and added, "I don't think I need to expand on that."

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    he already hinted when he said what he said.
    Yes, but the hint was the market (and his price/value) has changed. Not that he wants an immediate upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Yes, but the hint was the market (and his price/value) has changed. Not that he wants an immediate upgrade.
    agreed. qb is such a valued position the sky is limit on $. cousins is asking $20m+.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/s...33819359178752

I have no idea how to embed a Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    if a-rod says that we have to be in it to win, then loses tretter, lang, cook and lacy because of tightwad teddy, then he might just pull a barry sanders

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    if a-rod says that we have to be in it to win, then loses tretter, lang, cook and lacy because of tightwad teddy, then he might just pull a barry sanders
    If he did that because of TT screwing the pooch, that would be funny as hell.

Quite. If he even hinted at wanting a new deal Russ and Ted would be sitting under his dining room table within the hour.
    FIFY
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack