Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2017 NFL Combine

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    TJ watt- 4.71, and looked like he ran out of gas at 30 yards
    That's really bad if you're a safety. However, if you're an OLB, I think the first 20 is more important. Explosiveness over long speed. I see him listed at 4.69 which is 12th among LB's. Other than Peppers (is he really a LB?), the best time among LB's was 4.58.

Clay Matthews ran a 4.62. His 10 yard time of 1.49 at the time was the fastest ever for a player 240 LB#. Any word on Watt's start?

Other Numbers:

Matthews weighed 240. Watt was 252.

Watt tied with Peppers for best broad jump among LB's.

Watt tied for 2nd best vertical jump among LB's.
    Last edited by Joemailman; 03-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.

nothing wrong with that time for a LB

i think 90% of the guys in that group ran between a 4.66 and 4.73 or 4

so watt was right smack in the middle. but like i said, it looks like he ran out of gas. can he go sideline to sideline?

jabrill peppers just ran a 4.47

he says he's a safety, but the nfl is making him work out with the line backers

he also measured in at 2 inches shorter then he was lister, just like calvin pryor a few years back
    Peppers is closer to Nick Collins than Clay Mathews. Just my 2 cents. I could see him playing ILB like Ryan Shazier, but I think Safety is more a fit for him at only 5'11"
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

peppers weighed in at 213 pounds (he was listed at 205)

shazier weighed in at 237

big difference

i could see peppers doing the morgan burnett hybrid type thing, but theres no way hes gonna be a full time LB

peppers and collin are very close, both were 5'11, collins was 206, peppers at 213 and similar 40s

i'd take him if he somehow falls to us. kid shits talent, he's got so much of it

Blog Entries
    I'd be ok with Peppers ....or TJ Watt in Green n Gold
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

jabrill peppers just ran a 4.47

he says he's a safety, but the nfl is making him work out with the line backers

he also measured in at 2 inches shorter then he was lister, just like calvin pryor a few years back
    He will be working out with the other DBs tomorrow.

peppers weighed in at 213 pounds (he was listed at 205)

shazier weighed in at 237

big difference

i could see peppers doing the morgan burnett hybrid type thing, but theres no way hes gonna be a full time LB

peppers and collin are very close, both were 5'11, collins was 206, peppers at 213 and similar 40s

i'd take him if he somehow falls to us. kid shits talent, he's got so much of it
    Soemthing about Peppers gives me pause. I can't see him putting on 25 pounds and keeping his quickness.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Pretty decent day for edge rushers and I am sure the Packers are going to have some options if they are looking to improve QB pressure in 2017 with a first round draft pick.

Haason Reddick flashes his speed hitting a 4.52 in the forty at 237 pounds. I am not sure this guy falls to the Packers but he has the instincts on film, a quality showing at the Senior Bowl, and now the Combine numbers to back up a 1st round selection. He could play inside or outside.

Takkarist McKinley listed at 252 pounds and blazed a 4.59 forty. He is another guy that was popping up in mock drafts late in the first round but with his times at the Combine he might not be available to the Packers.

Zach Cunningham from Vandy ran decent and showed decent at the combine but he is more of an olb in a 4-3 or an inside guy in a 3-4. He would need ten more pounds to hold up as a OLB in a 3-4 defense and his 16 reps in the bench demonstrates that he needs to get stronger, but he did nothing to tarnish a selection in the top 40 of the 2017 draft.

Ryan Anderson from Alabama was listed at 252 pounds and ran a 4.78. I will take those numbers as an edge player along with with his consistency on film.

TJ Watt was mentioned earlier in this thread and he did everything he needed to do at the Combine. I don't think he is a finished product by any means but at this point he would be an intriguing first round selection.

Vince Biegel demonstrated that his foot was healed and did a nice job running a 4.67 and posting a solid vertical. He solidified getting his named called in the 2017 draft. He probably moved up some draft board by at least a round, maybe two. To be honest I would rather draft Biegel in the 4th round then draft Watt in the first round.

Tyus Bowser from Houston isn't a name I have been hearing a lot in terms of contention of being a first round pick but his film is pretty good and his combine numbers are pretty damn good. He listed at 6'3" 247 pounds and ran a 4.65 forty and a 37.5" vert. Watching film on him he is fluid in coverage and does a really nice job of using his hands during his pass rush. His speed off the line doesn't startle you, but he does a nice job of recognizing plays and using pretty good tech. He is a guy I have my eye on.

Jordan Willis from K-St was the fastest listed defensive end at the combine with a 4.53 in the forty, and a huge 39" vert. I watch his film against Texas and I didn't see those numbers translate to the field. He is a hand down defensive end and would be another tweener in a 3-4, not explosive enough and several times was swallowed up by a offensive tackle.

Maybe Ted comes away with the feeling that Peppers is a must have talent if available at 29, but safety is the one position I have limited concerns about. Safety and most tackle actually.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Derek Barnett didn't help himself with a move to outside linebacker running a 4.88 forty.

Charles Harris was also a bit slow with a 4.85 in the forty. These times are not bad for a defensive end but for a move outside I think the specifically for the Packers they are going to get burned again with getting a one dimensional edge rusher that will take more time to develop than actually drafting a player with the instincts to play as an outside linebacker

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Maybe Ted comes away with the feeling that Peppers is a must have talent if available at 29, but safety is the one position I have limited concerns about. Safety and most tackle actually.
    He is a talent, but where is the defensive fit? He is an upgrade talent wise for the Packer defense. I could see this just being the most important aspect of this draft is just finding better talent and finding a position to upgrade, but he isn't an edge rusher, and he isn't a cornerback.

I could see Watt or similar if you don't resign Perry.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

why not resign perry AND draft watt (or some other kick ass olb)? lateral moves don't get us anywhere.

It looks like this DB class is as good as advertised. This is the right year to need a CB...

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    why not resign perry AND draft watt (or some other kick ass olb)? lateral moves don't get us anywhere.
    There are other needs and options. Jones and Peppers could be signed for Perry's contract. Frees up money for Lang or Tretter.

Late first round ass rush is a crap shoot. You can find it but busts at better than 50%. Like a CB there better depending on how things break.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There are other needs and options. Jones and Peppers could be signed for Perry's contract. Frees up money for Lang or Tretter.

Late first round pass rush is a crap shoot. You can find it but busts at better than 50%. Like a CB there better depending on how things break.
    but perry is better than either one of those guys.

Yeah, but more expensive an Jones plus Peppers gives you some depth and less injury worries.

I honestly don't know if I would sign Perry to the deal he is about to get. Good chance at buyer's remorse if he continues to get injured. Matthews in that place now.

when healthy

which is about 10% of his time in the nfl, so far

when healthy

which is about 10% of his time in the nfl, so far
    his hand got stepped on.

his hand got stepped on.
    yup, somehow in a contract year he was able to play through an injury for once

think he'll play next year if he gets the same injury?