Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Perry Signed: Five Years

No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

I'm going to guess 5 years, $49M. $14M bonus.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Well let's hope the light stays on and he plays well this year too.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Twitter rumors are between 11 and 12 million per year.

Anyone else having trouble accessing the site?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Anyone else having trouble accessing the site?
    iPhone (AT&T) & iPad (Verizon) keep getting a "This site available" screen.

Laptop is getting through.

Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    iPhone (AT&T) & iPad (Verizon) keep getting a "This site available" screen.

Laptop is getting through.
    I am on TDS and getting that message, but only intermittently. For a while yesterday and then this morning.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

JSO Silverstein wrap-up: http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...kers/98944480/

1. Perry and Packers meeting today to look at deal. Slightly non-committal but everyone seems to agree this meeting doesn't happen today if they don't have general agreement on terms. Spoon says likely north of $10 mil per year, but under Matthews $13.2 mpy. Perry and Sheard were last two pass rushers available. So Perry played this very well.

If its a five year deal, he is going to get north of $20 million of bonus/guarantee.

2. Packers have shown only slight interest in retaining Hyde. Have not committed to matching deals he gets.

3. Says Packers don't seem willing to sign Lang at the price he is going to get.

I wonder what it would cost to get Connor Barwin. Matthews, Perry, and Barwin would be an intriguing trio of OLBs to rotate. Matthews could play inside when they wanted to get all three pass rushers on the field.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I wonder what it would cost to get Connor Barwin. Matthews, Perry, and Barwin would be an intriguing trio of OLBs to rotate. Matthews could play inside when they wanted to get all three pass rushers on the field.
    He really fell off last year, you think it was switch to 4-3 that cost him?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    JSO Silverstein wrap-up: http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...kers/98944480/

1. Perry and Packers meeting today to look at deal. Slightly non-committal but everyone seems to agree this meeting doesn't happen today if they don't have general agreement on terms. Spoon says likely north of $10 mil per year, but under Matthews $13.2 mpy. Perry and Sheard were last two pass rushers available. So Perry played this very well.

If its a five year deal, he is going to get north of $20 million of bonus/guarantee.

2. Packers have shown only slight interest in retaining Hyde. Have not committed to matching deals he gets.

3. Says Packers don't seem willing to sign Lang at the price he is going to get.
    1. Perry was the must sign of the free agent season for the Packers. Even with his injury history, we could not afford to lose his QB pressures or his run contain.

2. Light interest in Hyde doesn't surprise me. I think the Packers view him as a safety and they have up and comers at that position. Although he made some plays in the regular season and the playoffs as a corner, his lack of speed was evident. He functions as a barely adequate slot corner and rarely was used on the outside, even when we had no CBs available. I think his most valuable role is as a punt returner. He might be the best we have.

3. Again, this does not surprise me. Lang is a free agent during a year in which the draft class is weak in OL and the salary cap jumped precipitously. He will be highly sought after and the Packers will not pay more than $10 million per year for a guard. In their minds, they proved last year that they would not skip a beat on offense, even after releasing a Pro Bowl guard. They would rather have the draft pick as compensation. It wouldn't surprise me if Barclay is the starting RG next year. My guess is Tretter will also be highly valued and will leave in free agency. We had a luxury with 2 starting centers and he will start at C for someone else. They will not move Bulaga who played at a pro bowl level last year and Spriggs is not and will never be a guard.

The big question for me is Jones. I think we need him and will try to re-sign him. With Perry off the board, his value has got to be higher.

Good Signing - if Perry plays like he should. The fairly large bonus which keeps the cap number down tells me maybe Ted will sign something more - hopefully.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Good Signing - if Perry plays like he should. The fairly large bonus which keeps the cap number down tells me maybe Ted will sign something more - hopefully.
    Just know the fairly large bonus in my post is completely my speculation. The details of the contract they are supposed to be discussing have not leaked yet.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Now Thompson is overpaying for his own players, instead of just paying for his own players. That is too much money for Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Now Thompson is overpaying for his own players, instead of just paying for his own players. That is too much money for Perry.
    is he? the market is what it is. it had to be done regardless. the object is to get better after all. can't take a step back at ANY defensive position.

with the cap being what it is and the fact that perry is one of the best free agents this year, top 15 anyway, im not suprised, and he is a better deal than cobb imo

Over payed per his production in Green Bay. He is often injured, I get what the market states but that has nothing to do with it, any team that was going to sign him to deal of over ten million a year over payed for him. Even with him the Packers defense was a giant turd. As an outside linebacker in this 3-4 defense the minimum amount of sacks an OLB should have is 8. Perry did well this year, and it was an improvement from years past but he is still one dimensional living off one statistic. There cheaper options out there. If he stays healthy and continues the production of 2016 with getting to the QB then it will be worth it, but if he falls back to his 2013-2015 form the Packers screwed up.

^ That is the entire critique of Free Agency right there. Market prices for whatever detritus is left over.

Perry just happened to be the best left and the devil they knew. If he stays healthy, he is worth every penny. If not, I hope they can dump the deal after two years.

He isn't that great of a player even when he is healthy, is he a quality starter? I certainly didn't think so up until last year. The path is clear for him to play 50 to 60 plays a game and with what the Packers are paying hopefully the production is there.

He isn't that great of a player even when he is healthy, is he a quality starter? I certainly didn't think so up until last year. The path is clear for him to play 50 to 60 plays a game and with what the Packers are paying hopefully the production is there.
    Not a game changer but healthy you are looking at 10 sacks/year and in the 20-30 range for pressure. He is also the best OLB run defender by far. He can play three downs effectively.

The downside, beside injury, is that he is not constantly disruptive. His best pass rush move is a bull rush which will collapse a pocket and cause lesser QBs to pause, but won't affect the better ones unless he wins outright.

He needs a partner to flush the QB. Datone Jones should pair well with him (as would Daniels if he wasn't double teamed) but Jones cannot finish a sack to save his life. Jones' best move is catching a fleeing QB.

again...had to be done. no one better out there or on this squad.

looks like it's 5/60 w/18.5m bonus.

perry-receives-5-year-60m-deal-to-re-up-with-packers