Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Osweiler and 2nd Rd pick to Browns

Osweiler and 2nd Rd pick to Browns

lol Its an NBA level salary dump and a great move by Cleveland.

Why did this need a separate thread on a Packers forum?

Don't do it again.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Do it as much as you want, the 5 people that post here can get over it.

Wow a second for a salary dump.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

They got completely taken. Osweiler is terrible, not sure even QB whisperer Hue Jackson can fix him.

Or this:

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier 25m25 minutes ago
    I like the Osweiler deal from the #texans side, in that "we've found a rope to climb out of this pit" sort of way.

EDIT: IGNORE MY STUPIDITY. THOUGHT THE BROWNS TRADED THE PICK. NICE MOVE BY BROWNS TO PICK UP A 2ND AND SPEND SOME SPACE THEY GET BACK NEXT YEAR.
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-09-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Thing is, Cleveland has so much cap room it would be hard to spend it without significantly over paying a lot of players. This way they get a 2nd and a 6th for a 4th and take a 16million cap hit if they cut him. Plus limit the salary structure impact of overpaying too many average guys in FA. It does nothing to hurt their team this year, but enhances their roster by adding a potentially high 2nd rd pick in 18.

Heard they are now trying to move him for a 3rd and are willing to eat half his contract. Maybe trying to get Jimmy Garoppolo from the Pats via the extra picks?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Your on something, I mean, you're on to something: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...get-garoppolo/
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Personally, I think the move is more genius than it is idiotic. They have cap space to burn (and a minimum floor to spend), and they get a round 2 draft pick out of it. Regardless of what they do with that pick, they added two kinds of value: eating up cap space and adding a draft pick.

Very outside the box, but bold.

I wonder if the Browns are actually going to not be the Browns for long. Who will be the new Browns? The Jets?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Wait, so the Texans sent Osweiler and a second round pick to the Browns for . . . ? Nothing?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Personally, I think the move is more genius than it is idiotic. They have cap space to burn (and a minimum floor to spend), and they get a round 2 draft pick out of it. Regardless of what they do with that pick, they added two kinds of value: eating up cap space and adding a draft pick.

Very outside the box, but bold.

I wonder if the Browns are actually going to not be the Browns for long. Who will be the new Browns? The Jets?
    The Bears.

On a side note, I'm thinking of getting a larger avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Wait, so the Texans sent Osweiler and a second round pick to the Browns for . . . ? Nothing?
    The Texans got a pick and $16M

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Wow, Cleveland and the Texans are starting to think outside the box.

Bold move by the Browns. Seems they could've gotten better value by signing some middle of the road FA's to plug holes, but what do I know. I don't like or dislike the move....BUT:

What is making me crazy though is everyone over-stating what the Browns received. It's always "Texans traded Brock and a 2nd rounder to the Browns". No, they traded next year's second rounder, and got this year's 4th rounder from the Browns. /nocontext

I've heard when using the trade value chart you de-rate a pick for every year away it is, i.e. the second round pick from next year would be valued the same as a third round pick this year. If that's the case, the Browns actually only move up about half a round - from the middle of the third (where the Texans will probably be next year, but could be lower) to the first pick of the 4th.

Is $16M a fair price to move up half a round? I don't know, there's no precedent. But dammit, stop saying they got a second round pick!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Does anyone have thoughts on what happened with Osweiller? He played decently enough when Peyton was down, didn't he? I know the defense was winning the games, but he was also not losing them. Last year this time we were talking about the Texans stealing him away from the Broncos, who were making a good offer to him to stay.

--
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Only problem with the Browns move is the price they paid, $16 mil., did not net them a clean #2 pick. They gave some back.

Browns get Texans' 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick (No. 188 overall). Houston will get Browns' 2017 fourth-round pick (No. 142).

So Browns get a 6th rounder this year for losing their 4th rounder this year AND get a future 2nd rounder (2018).
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I always thought if you traded someone you had to absorb the remainder of his cap number. Was I just wrong or did the rules change?

Sparky is right, this is the NFL becoming the NBA. And not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They got completely taken. Osweiler is terrible, not sure even QB whisperer Hue Jackson can fix him.

Or this:

Mike Tanier @MikeTanier 25m25 minutes ago
    I like the Osweiler deal from the #texans side, in that "we've found a rope to climb out of this pit" sort of way.

EDIT: IGNORE MY STUPIDITY. THOUGHT THE BROWNS TRADED THE PICK. NICE MOVE BY BROWNS TO PICK UP A 2ND AND SPEND SOME SPACE THEY GET BACK NEXT YEAR.
    I agree with you said - before you changed your mind and went bold. The Texans got out from under a bad bad contract. The only way Cleveland breaks even or better is if Osweiler snaps out of it and becomes decent - which I really doubt happens. You have to wonder where the Browns stand with the cap in light of this as well as the Zeitler and Tretter deals and whatever else they are paying for.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Only problem with the Browns move is the price they paid, $16 mil., did not net them a clean #2 pick. They gave some back.

Browns get Texans' 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick (No. 188 overall). Houston will get Browns' 2017 fourth-round pick (No. 142).

So Browns get a 6th rounder this year for losing their 4th rounder this year AND get a future 2nd rounder (2018).
    But what if they succeed in getting a 3 for Osweiler from someone after agreeing to take on some significant portion of his salary? (Can they do that?) And who would be so dumb as to give up a third for Osweiler, you ask? Well, if the Redskins end up giving in to Cousins' trade demand, they aren't known for placing a high value on draft picks.

Somewhere I read that the browns were looking to dump Osweiler for a thrid, but would eat half his salary. Completely unsubstantiated rumor and I have no clue if that is next years salary or what.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Why did this need a separate thread on a Packers forum?

Don't do it again.
    Way to go and promoting this place and new members.

You have an easy out.

Admit your post was 'a joke'.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau