Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cook and Packers Have Broken Off Talks

Cook and Packers Have Broken Off Talks

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
    Contract talks between the Packers and free-agent TE Jared Cook have broken off, per source. Cook expected to visit other teams.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

not good

Thompson is just too damn cheap to be running an NFL team these days. There is no doubt Cook wants to be in Green Bay...and our offense was only remarkable when he was on the field. Get it done.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    not good
    Basic disagreement over deal. Packers saying if you can get this price on open market, go ahead. Packers have room, I doubt they are trying to squeeze him. He might be looking for last big multi-year deal.

Its not over yet, like Pickett or Woodson, if they find a higher market, they can bring that back to the Packers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm not sure what to read into this without knowing the numbers and contract lengths being thrown around.

I wouldn't be surprised if the agent asked for an outrageous dollar amount right upfront to see if the Packers would blink.
    Jack Doyle (Colts) is projected to make $8M in 2017, $5.25M in 2018, $5.65M in 2019.
    Not sure what Jermaine Gresham (Cardinals) signed for yet.
    I certainly don't believe Cook is worth more than either of these two players.

This may be part of the game, but I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    I'm not sure what to read into this without knowing the numbers and contract lengths being thrown around.
    This...and add in that Cook has never looked so good as when Arod was tossing the pigskin. We all thought Cobb was a must sign as well.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter
    Contract talks between the Packers and free-agent TE Jared Cook have broken off, per source. Cook expected to visit other teams.
    There is one thing we may all be assured:

Ted Thompson will never suffer the financial woes of Oliver "Daddy" Warbucks on the Green Bay Packers. Ted only knows one game:

Playing it safe and that game never wins big.

Is that English clear enough for your impeccable taste pbmax?
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

With the crazy cash getting thrown around today Cook is exploring his options on the open market. If he makes it though the first few days of free agency Jared will be wearing the Green and Gold for the next 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Thompson is just too damn cheap to be running an NFL team these days. There is no doubt Cook wants to be in Green Bay...and our offense was only remarkable when he was on the field. Get it done.
    That would be too obvious for TT to see with his ego and minding the safe.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Cook's agent is apparently asking for $8M+ a year, which would put him in top 6 TE pay. I like Cook but there's no way he's a top 6 player. I think the agent will go out, see there's not interest at that price point and the Packers will get him for between 6-7M a year.
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by Bossman641 View Post
    Cook's agent is apparently asking for $8M+ a year, which would put him in top 6 TE pay. I like Cook but there's no way he's a top 6 player. I think the agent will go out, see there's not interest at that price point and the Packers will get him for between 6-7M a year.
    And when this too blows up in Ted's face? They will once again be absolutely fucked at TE.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    R-E-L-A-X...it's business. If they are willing to let him shop around and set his market, and give Green Bay right of first refusal, they are still in good shape.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    And when this too blows up in Ted's face? They will once again be absolutely fucked at TE.
    So if Cook was asking for a 3 year $24M contract with $16M guaranteed, you think TT should step right up and sign him? This is all conjecture, but I bet the agent may have even asked for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    So if Cook was asking for a 3 year $24M contract with $16M guaranteed, you think TT should step right up and sign him? This is all conjecture, but I bet the agent may have even asked for more.
    If TT weren't so cheap and so full of himself and so in love with his own draft picks he would offer Cook all of that and then some more: how about $36M for three years?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    We want him here, he wants to be here, this is just negotiation chicken IMO. Dude is what he is which is a low-end starter TE who can make some mismatches. Everyone knew he'd have his best year with Rodgers throwing him the ball, but its not like he put on a show. For 31 teams in the league he's worth 4M or 5M. He needs this worse than GB does. Wait him out.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    You can't just pay any player whatever he wants. You'd be the first one in line to call TT an idiot for overpaying.
    Go PACK

yup, couldn't get this deal done, but damnit, we did get guion to redo his deal freeing up 100K in cap space that we'll never use

priorities people

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yup, couldn't get this deal done, but damnit, we did get guion to redo his deal freeing up 100K in cap space that we'll never use

priorities people
    Guion was a phone call from TT telling his agent that he either restructured or he would be on the street. Not much choice there.

the Packers HAVE to face the fact that they'll have to over pay some to get the free agents they want. it's not exactly the entertainment capital of the world so you have to give the ONLY incentive you really have to attract people...and that's money. when you have a qb like Rodgers you have to go the extra mile (or dollar). go into cheap mode and fix it later when he's gone.