Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers sign Martellus Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Bennett is good...not sure he is a definitive upgrade to Cook. The Patriots know how to use a TE...and if Cook was in New England, he'd put up some pretty good numbers as well.

As long as we have one of them, I'm good.
    Bennett had 916 yards in a season playing with Jay Cutler though, so it's not all Brady.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

One thing to note. A lot of Bennett's game is run blocking and play action. Neither of which the Packers do much of. If his numbers are way low, it's probably from lack of proper scheme for the type of player he is. It's not like stubby will change things.

Quote Originally Posted by MadtownPacker View Post
    Thats right you mouthy kneegrow, so STFU!
    lol dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotarace View Post
    I guess the answer Cook received was thanks but no thanks. Like the move and think this is a lateral move if not a upgrade. It also brings joy that the Patriots have lost a weapon. I tip my hat to Ted on this one.
    i think it was probably the other way around.

Holy schnikees. Having lived in the Flatland for a while, I remember the Black Unicorn's (his self assigned moniker) stint with the Bears.

The elder posters on the board will remember Bill "Spaceman" Lee. He and Martellus are cut from the same cloth.

The guy's got a TON of talent. My hope is that his maturation will sync up with his talent. He has the potential to be the best thing at TE for the Packers since, maybe even before, Jermichael Finley.

Maybe TT will STILL sign Cook and jettison Rodgers......now THERE'S an upgrade!!!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/icebowltickets.png

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    Maybe TT will STILL sign Cook and jettison Rodgers......now THERE'S an upgrade!!!
    i like it but that ship has sailed i think. besides cook wouldn't want to be a back-up.

not terrible

not sure its that much of an upgrade though

be interesting to compare the two contracts, i can't imagine bennett (who was in demand) came cheap

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    not terrible

not sure its that much of an upgrade though

be interesting to compare the two contracts, i can't imagine bennett (who was in demand) came cheap
    Packers can't afford to be cheap anymore.

one thing that jumps out at me

he's missed 9 games in 9 years, 5 of those games came in one year

Blog Entries
    one thing that jumps out at me

he's missed 9 games in 9 years, 5 of those games came in one year
    He missed 6 for us last year.

Maybe his career total is 15 games, eh?

Blog Entries
    I am surprised; the reason is I thought Bennett was an asshole with character issues. Am I incorrect ??
    What is the speed comparison ? I've always thought Bennett was full of talent but I thought Cook was a no brainer resigning. I expected Cook; got Bennett.....good move.

By rule I'll applaud any free agent signing by Ted Thompson; normally he's hiding at this time. But I undoubtedly still want a pass rusher or CB who can start.

Wonder how the contracts will compare up ??
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    He missed 6 for us last year.

Maybe his career total is 15 games, eh?
    bennett, bennett missed 9 games for his career, this is the bennett thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post

Wonder how the contracts will compare up ??
    i already said that

fuck off

Blog Entries
    bennett, bennett missed 9 games for his career, this is the bennett thread
    Errps.

Yer right, you know?

We don't run block with TE's much, but Bennett is a consistent blocker.

Maybe this is a good move.

This is a clear upgrade. Bennett is one of the best TEs in the NFL. Cook is solid and had athleticism that we lacked, but Bennett is clearly a better all around TE. Hopefully, his mouth won't cause issues. I'll be interested in the contract compared to what Cook was asking for.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Errps.

Yer right, you know?

We don't run block with TE's much, but Bennett is a consistent blocker.

Maybe this is a good move.
    Do you think this indicates anything about bringing Lacy back? Richard Rodgers' blocking leaves a lot be desired. Do you think that Bennett's blocking is just a bonus asset, or do you think they plan to run more, and possibly bring back Lacy?

Oh, and he gets #88 since Monty is becoming a RB.
    Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 03-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Do you think this indicates anything about bringing Lacy back? Richard Rodgers' blocking leaves a lot be desired. Do you think that Bennett's blocking is just a bonus asset, or do you think they plan to run more, and possibly bring back Lacy?

Oh, and he gets #88 since Monty is becoming a RB.
    I've always felt that the Stub would love to run an effective two tight end offense, much like BB had in NE with Gronk and Bennett.

He did a little of that when they had a healthy Fin.

Like to see chubby Eddy come back, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Bennett is good, but I think Cook is a better fit for the team. I watch a LOT of Patriot games as they are my 2cnd favorite team. Bennett sure didn't seem to have the speed/quickness that Cook does. Bennett was injured much of last season and played through it though. I personally would prefer Cook.
    I watch NE as much as I can as well. They are my second favourite team.

We saw Cook run a lot of successful routes to his LHS last season. It seemed to me that the Patriots favoured Bennett running to his RHS. Bennett was valuable to the Patriots offense early in the season and down the stretch his role seemed to change when Stud TE Rob Gronkowski was out with injuries. Bennett focused more then on his blocking yet still managed to set a new career high with seven touchdowns in the regular season. He has averaged about 5 TD a season over the past five. He is a taller and bigger man than Jared Cook and not as fast yet an effective blocker. They are virtually the same age.

This appears to me to be an upgrade at TE.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I've always felt that the Stub would love to run an effective two tight end offense, much like BB had in NE with Gronk and Bennett.

He did a little of that when they had a healthy Fin.

Like to see chubby Eddy come back, but I doubt that will happen.
    Although, in this article MM said:

“We’d like to get Eddie back,” McCarthy said. “He’s our guy. He’s one of our core players."

I get that the money still has to line up, but I hope they get him back, especially if he's committed to being in shape.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan