Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Packers sign Martellus Bennett

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    We need to let Lacy walk as well; spend that money on defensive help, and draft a RB in the draft.
    In my opinion, Lacy is the best RB they've had since AG. I was never a big Ryan Grant fan. He ran hot and cold. But Lacy carried the offense when Rodgers was out with his collarbone injury. If Lacy can control his weight, he's a top 8 RB. He's someone who makes things happen, and someone with the kind of talent and especially vision the Packers didn't have in a decade.

I want him back. Not for top 8 money, but top 15 money I would pay.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

At this point we love Martellus Bennett. He's coming off the best year ever for a Bears Tight End and yes that includes Mike Ditka. And he had 7 td's last season, with 55 receptions for 701 yards.
    So, Jared Who?
    Put it this way, usually there's not much to get excited about at this time of the off season.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 03-11-2017 at 12:32 AM.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
    Maybe TT will STILL sign Cook and jettison Rodgers......now THERE'S an upgrade!!!
    Those two TE sets would be killer. You could get really creative if you are MM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Yeah, I think the important thing to note is we have all been bitching about TT not doing anything in free agency, so he finally signs somebody and some folks are still bitching about it. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Yeah, I think the important thing to note is we have all been bitching about TT not doing anything in free agency, so he finally signs somebody and some folks are still bitching about it. Just saying...
    They are probably grousing because the FA isn't a defensive player (they ignore the Perry signing, of course).

What are the odds we can still get Cook? Can you imagine a 2-2-1 with monty in the backfield?

Fans say Ted never signs "real" free agents.

Fans say Ted's always scraping the bottom of the leftover free agent barrel.

Ted signs a "real" free agent.

Ted signs a guy who is ranked as the #1 free agent at his position.

Fans bitch.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I like this signing. I remember the last time Bear fans thought the Lombardi Trophy was theirs for the taking there was all that talk about "the NEW monsters of the midway"! They were talking about Bennett, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffrey. Now all gone, bear fans! Bennett was a beast to match up with. I recall watching AJ Hawk looking like a JV player trying desperately to stay with him. I like this signing.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    In my opinion, Lacy is the best RB they've had since AG. I was never a big Ryan Grant fan. He ran hot and cold. But Lacy carried the offense when Rodgers was out with his collarbone injury. If Lacy can control his weight, he's a top 8 RB. He's someone who makes things happen, and someone with the kind of talent and especially vision the Packers didn't have in a decade.

I want him back. Not for top 8 money, but top 15 money I would pay.
    I see both sides. Lacy is the best RB, hands down, since Ahman Green. Not as good as Ahman Green, but the best since Green. So I get what you're saying. But then again, the dude was in a contract year and he still couldn't keep the weight off, and likely there is a connection between his extra weight and his stream of injuries. Do you really want to give a guy like that a multi-year contract, or let him suck up a big chunk of your sal cap? It would be a gamble. But it could be worth taking. Depends on whether you as coach and as GM really believe the guy is maturing and is capable of changing - soon.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post

Fans say Ted's always scraping the bottom of the leftover free agent barrel.

Ted signs a "real" free agent.

Ted signs a guy who is ranked as the #1 free agent at his position.

Fans bitch.
    who's bitching?

and this was like, what, his 5th "real free agent" signing in 12 years i think. i also think it was the first time he's played in the first few days

"There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Rob Demovsky of ESPN Wisconsin reported was $20.25 million over three years, including a $6.3 million signing bonus and $2 million roster bonus in March 2018.

Color me crazy, but does this mean could be a one year deal if it goes south?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

whew, numbers are in

3 years 21 million

6.3 million dollar signing bonus

2017 cap hit- 3.85 million
    2018- 8.55
    2019- 8.6

total breakdown

2017- $900,000 base salary, 2.1 million pro rated signing bonus, 600,000 roster bonus, 250,000 in workout bonuses

2018- 3.6 million salary, 2.1 pro rated signing bonus, 2.6 million dollar roster bonus, 250,000 workout bonus.

2019- 5.65 salary, 2.1 signing bonus, 600,000 roster bonus, 250,000 workout bonus

if he is cut after year one, the team saves 4.3 million in cap space. if he's cut after year 2 the team saves 6.5 million

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post

Contract structure, bonus, guarantees all could make similar deals friendlier to either side. The one note I keep seeing about Bennett's deal (even while there is confusion between $18 and 21 mil total) is that its clean, with no games being played with likely or not likely to be earned incentives.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Rob Demovsky of ESPN Wisconsin reported was $20.25 million over three years, including a $6.3 million signing bonus and $2 million roster bonus in March 2018.

Color me crazy, but does this mean could be a one year deal if it goes south?
    looks like the team can easily get out of it after 1 year

This is great and all, but I'll get more optimistic if we get some key guys on D. Our O may be lopsided because it relies too much on 1 guy, but that's Ok because it's good enough to get to and win a Super Bowl (as long as he's healthy).
    But that is not the situation on D. Our D was just too inconsistent to go to and win a Super Bowl. Currently, it would require too much luck and I don't know if we can patch it fast enough with only the draft (i.e. fast enough meaning before AROD starts showing age or gets hurt). I think we need to put the odds a little more in our favor on D with a few proven assets.

yeah, at this point we really haven't improved the team much over last season

if anything, we've still gone backwards without a #1 RB and a starting guard

hopefully bennett wasn't our one free agent signing, cause the D needs help

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    yeah, at this point we really haven't improved the team much over last season

if anything, we've still gone backwards without a #1 RB and a starting guard

hopefully bennett wasn't our one free agent signing, cause the D needs help
    I think they're still about 27 million under the cap. TT won't carry that much into next season. I think there will be about 3 more moves. Maybe Lang/Lacy/Defense. Maybe concentrating more on defense.

Well so far La Canfora has been much more accurate than Demovsky or Wilde. At this point would not be surprised if the Cook offered more turned out to fizzle too.

Code:
    CONTRACT:3 yr(s) / $21,000,000	SIGNING BONUS$6,300,000	AVERAGE SALARY $7,000,000
    GUARANTEED:$7,200,000	FREE AGENT:2020 / UFA

YEAR	BASE SALARY	SIGNING BONUS	ROSTER BONUS	WORKOUT BONUS	CAP HIT		DEAD CAP
    2017	$900,000	$2,100,000	$600,000	$250,000	$3,850,000	$7,200,000
    2018	$3,600,000	$2,100,000	$2,600,000	$250,000	$8,550,000	$4,200,000
    2019	$5,650,000	$2,100,000	$600,000	$250,000	$8,600,000	$2,100,000

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    cuz times running out. spend more and fix it later when Rodgers is gone.