View Poll Results: If you can sign one more Defensive FA, who would it be?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Connor Barwin

18 85.71%
  • Davon House

3 14.29%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: You Make the Call: House or Barwin

I want Barwin. Living in Eagles country, I remember a news story on Barwin that came out a year or two after he became an Eagle. I don't remember every detail, but I came away wishing he was a Packer. He is such a good player and even a more genuine person off the field. He reminds me of Aaron Kampman: Insane motor that never stops, gives 110% EVERY play and brings his lunch pail to work every single day. Off the field, he gives back to the community and was always involved with things going on in Philly. To me he screams Packer Person. It's a no brainer.

The Packers are going to have options to help the secondary in the draft. From what i've seen and read, this draft is stacked with DBs, which I can only guess is why Hyde was not retained - kudos to him by the way.

However, I think the signing of Perry, the potential in the draft and the curse of Bretsky solidifies that Barwin will not become a Packer. It doesn't seem like TTs style to devote alot of money to one position. I hope I'm wrong.

Barwin's last deal was 6 years and $36 million. Does he sign for between $4 or $5 mil per year?

House likely cheaper.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Dear Captain Obvious...of course House is cheaper
    Not many really care if they get House or not. He's a cool but whatever signing.

Barwin...no brainer
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pittstang5 View Post
    I want Barwin. Living in Eagles country, I remember a news story on Barwin that came out a year or two after he became an Eagle. I don't remember every detail, but I came away wishing he was a Packer. He is such a good player and even a more genuine person off the field. He reminds me of Aaron Kampman: Insane motor that never stops, gives 110% EVERY play and brings his lunch pail to work every single day. Off the field, he gives back to the community and was always involved with things going on in Philly. To me he screams Packer Person. It's a no brainer.

The Packers are going to have options to help the secondary in the draft. From what i've seen and read, this draft is stacked with DBs, which I can only guess is why Hyde was not retained - kudos to him by the way.

However, I think the signing of Perry, the potential in the draft and the curse of Bretsky solidifies that Barwin will not become a Packer. It doesn't seem like TTs style to devote alot of money to one position. I hope I'm wrong.
    \

From day one I expected TT to sign House, and I'm ok with that as a depth move but it doesn't excite me

I'm familiar with Barwin the person too. This is too dam easy. Of course...you are probably right here.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So...

Sign Davon House and draft T.J. Watt?

OR

Sign Connor Barwin and draft Sidney Jones?
    you never have enough pass rushers.....or...CB's. BPA in the draft

HELL....wouldn't it be vintage TT to let Lang go and draft a OL in round one.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    So...

Sign Davon House and draft T.J. Watt?

OR

Sign Connor Barwin and draft Sidney Jones?
    Damn. Didn't mean to jinx you Sidney. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eft-leg-injury

If we don't keep Lang and Lacy we could sign both?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    If we don't keep Lang and Lacy we could sign both?
    honestly, we can probably sign them all, and still have some left over to roll into next year

It it's either/or, I'd rather see Barwin added to the mix. We need to replace Peppers and Datone Jones on the outside and it would give us more flexibility with moving Clay inside or out. Plus he's a proven high effort vet and he played pretty well in a 3-4 D. Bring better pressure to help the backend of the defense out.

Fuck the poll. Tt is drunk right now, sign barwin, sign house, draft watt, then trade up and draft jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    Fuck the poll. Tt is drunk right now, sign barwin, sign house, draft watt, then trade up and draft jones.
    Maybe Red is up in GB, pushing Ted back down into his Barcalounger, "No, Ted, don't get up. Have another swig of the Jack here. And I programmed Connor Barwin's agent into your speed dial."
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Maybe Red is up in GB, pushing Ted back down into his Barcalounger, "No, Ted, don't get up. Have another swig of the Jack here. And I programmed Connor Barwin's agent into your speed dial."
    Or some version of Saw. If Ted doesn't sign a FA/cut off a limb, red won't tell him where Brian Gutenkist is tied up.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

i like these ideas

bring them both in now, and maybe sign another good CB

Well, house is visiting the Steelers and barwin is in Cincinnati today

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    Well, house is visiting the Steelers and barwin is in Cincinnati today
    I blame the 16 of you that voted for Barwin. You have hurt House's feelings.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    For the poll, I said Barwin, because I think he's more of a difference maker. If the GM asked me what to do (right) I'd say see if you can fit them both under our cap this year. It gives you vets, one of which is going to help to move the QB's feet, which wasn't done very well by the end of the year when Perry was wearing a club, Clay's shoulder was a mess and Peppers was not as spicy as he once was. I know some hate the injury "excuse", but sometimes guys gutting it out to help the team aren't as effective as they normally would be. At this point in free agency, there probably isn't a guy to throw money at. I know there is another thread for this, but the more I think about it, Malcolm Butler for Green Bay's 1 this year might be just what the doctor ordered. Think how many times you've said "meh" about a first-rounder after they've been with the team a few years. To have a "broken in" cornerback who can legit cover the other team's number 1 receiver is worth the failure rate of first rounders.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

the problem with butler is that its not just as easy as flipping NE a first round pick

you still have to negotiate a long term deal for him, which will be nowhere close to cheap

if you can't come to a long term agreement with him, then you just spent a first round pick on a one year player

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the problem with butler is that its not just as easy as flipping NE a first round pick

you still have to negotiate a long term deal for him, which will be nowhere close to cheap

if you can't come to a long term agreement with him, then you just spent a first round pick on a one year player

IMO this discussion is a waste of time. TT is not going to pay 13MIL a year PLUS give up a 1st rounder.

Barwin is a realistic and at least a start. You guys know Free Agency is the season of disappointment

Bretsky nailed it. Case closed.