Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TJ Lang goes to Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    TT fucked up AGAIN, big shocker there. He lets Tretter and Lang go, Yet signs two TE's that they will never use to their potential.

Busting drunk drivers in Antarctica since 2006

TT fucked up AGAIN, big shocker there. He lets Tretter and Lang go, Yet signs two TE's that they will never use to their potential.
    Care to cite the number of spectacular 30 year old offensive guard free agency signings in recent years?

$9M a year for a 30 year old guard is way too steep of a price. It was wise to not pay that kind of money for Lang, even if he was a good player. Overspending for anyone is what kills you with the salary cap.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

We'll see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    Care to cite the number of spectacular 30 year old offensive guard free agency signings in recent years?

$9M a year for a 30 year old guard is way too steep of a price. It was wise to not pay that kind of money for Lang, even if he was a good player. Overspending for anyone is what kills you with the salary cap.
    We will see if you feel that way when a patch work line gets Rodgers hurt.

We will see if you feel that way when a patch work line gets Rodgers hurt.
    This sounds just like what we heard when Sitton was released and Lane Taylor stepped in - Rodgers is going to get killed without our Pro-Bowl LG. I'll be surprised if Lang lasts as long as the contract he just signed.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    that 20 million guaranteed could be mostly bull shit

gotta see the numbers

most teams will consider everything involved in the first 2 years to be guaranteed, because they just signed the guy, they plan on keeping him

so a guy with a salary of 3 million his first year, with a 2 million dollar roster bonus in year one, plus a 3 million dollar salary in year 2 with a 3 million dollar roster bonus, plus just a 9 million dollar signing bonus, becomes 20 million "guaranteed

smoke and mirrors, i bet when the end numbers come out, its not gonna be that much more then green bay offered him

green bay could have played the same gme by saying bennetts deal was a 3 year 21 million dollar deal with 14.5 million "guaranteed"
    You might be right, and the 'real' money is closer to what the Packers offered. If the announced numbers are anywhere near accurate, it sounds like a market setting deal. Sitton got 3yrs/$21 million with a $2M bonus, long way from these numbers. These numbers could be inflated, but this contract could also be similar to Marco Riveria's final deal.
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Not going to lie, was firmly convinced Lane Taylor was the sky falling.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Lang's deal -- reportedly three years for $28.5 million with $19 million guaranteed -- is in line with the averages for players like Warford and Ronald Leary, but the Lions had to pay extra in terms of guarantees to win over Lang. He got more in guarantees than Warford ($17 million) and nearly as much as Leary ($20 million) despite the fact that they each picked up four-year deals. No other guard in football with a multiyear, non-rookie contract has more than 52 percent of their contact guaranteed. Lang is at 66.7 percent, making it likely he'll see all three years of this deal.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...gent-deals-nfl
    Go PACK

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 52m52 minutes ago
    G T.J. Lang received a three-year, $28.5 million deal with $19M fully guaranteed, according to source.

Rob Demovsky‏ @RobDemovsky
    Was told Packers best offer wasn't close: 3 years, $21.5M with $6.5M guaranteed. Lang would have stayed if it was close. Clearly it wasn't
    If these numbers are correct, Ted was right to let him go. Congrats to Lang for skinning the Lions. I think we will be OK in the O Line whichever way it goes - Bulaga at guard and Spriggs starting sounds good. It's Aaron Rodgers' mobility that makes all these guys seem better anyway.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If these numbers are correct, Ted was right to let him go. Congrats to Lang for skinning the Lions. I think we will be OK in the O Line whichever way it goes - Bulaga at guard and Spriggs starting sounds good. It's Aaron Rodgers' mobility that makes all these guys seem better anyway.
    Everybody knows, or everybody should know, it's a game of replacement. More power to the players who get a big pay day. A player deserves whatever the market will bear. I am thankful that our GM doesn't panic and sticks to his guns about what he thinks a player is worth in terms of cap hit.

Even though some fans perceive there to be a lot of money under the cap, that doesn't mean it has to burn a hole in the GM's pocket, or cause him to panic about life without that player, or overpay to keep that player. Every GM knows it's a game of replacement, and have to operate like that, with a long view of the future. Fans just want to win now, which I get with a franchise QB. Nobody wants to go back to the scary cap days of Sherman. 2005-2006 was pretty lean around our franchise QB. If going all in means a cap mess later, count me out.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Lang was a good player. Borderline elite for a few seasons. Not quite. He was not a Hall of Fame must-keep. So, we don't keep for $10mil/year. Seems reasonable to me. Thanks for the comp pick, Leos!

Forrest Lamp is a possibility in the 1st round. Played OT in college, projects as an OG in the NFL. We know how TT loves that shit. Also, he played very well at OG in the Senior Bowl.

Ryan Wood‏ @ByRyanWood
    Great stuff from @TomSilverstein: #Packers opened at $7M APY, raised offer to keep TJ Lang. Didn't get close enough.

Spoon says that significantly might be poor choice of word, subsequently says that Packers raised their offer but did not get to Lions offer level.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Lang was a good player. Borderline elite for a few seasons. Not quite. He was not a Hall of Fame must-keep. So, we don't keep for $10mil/year. Seems reasonable to me. Thanks for the comp pick, Leos!

Forrest Lamp is a possibility in the 1st round. Played OT in college, projects as an OG in the NFL. We know how TT loves that shit. Also, he played very well at OG in the Senior Bowl.
    Lamp also had a nice showing at the Combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Everybody knows, or everybody should know, it's a game of replacement. More power to the players who get a big pay day. A player deserves whatever the market will bear.
    You ain't Lion.

As a distant Packer fan, I kept seeing Lang on the injury list and/or helped/carted off the field. I hear he's Packer People, but I don't think he's got 30 of 48 fourth quarters in the regular season left in him.
    I believe in God, family, Baylor University, and the Green Bay Packers.

I love Lamp.

This is not enough to make me think he is the unquestioned starter, but its not exactly vet minimum either.

@BobMcGinn 21m21 minutes ago
    C-G-T Don Barclay's one-year, $1.025m deal with #Packers contains $150,000 s-bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $775,000 minimum base salary.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    This is not enough to make me think he is the unquestioned starter, but its not exactly vet minimum either.

@BobMcGinn 21m21 minutes ago
    C-G-T Don Barclay's one-year, $1.025m deal with #Packers contains $150,000 s-bonus, $100,000 workout bonus and $775,000 minimum base salary.
    Yuck. Normally guys round into form at Donnny's age, not drop off a cliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Yuck. Normally guys round into form at Donnny's age, not drop off a cliff.
    M3 at one point last year thought injuries and the recovery cost Barclay on the field. I seem to recall him scoring better during his fill-in stints in 2016.

They might be believers again.

Good for Lang, but the oline in general got really expensive this year. Kind of wish we got barclay on a 2 year deal as backup.