Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: malcom butler...

malcom butler...

nfl-rumors-malcolm-butler

didn't sign his tender so he's free. would have to give up a 1st round pick for him. they have plenty to get it done. they should do it. if they don't dallas will find a way to do it.

I was and still am hoping for the Packers to grab a quality FA Corner, but this restricted FA thing and giving up a first round pick is too much. I think Amukumara and Bouye and maybe a couple of others are still out there. Better to go that route. Butler may have been not quite as good as his stats due to having a lot of quality around him on the Pats.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Think the Butler/Antonio Brown commercial is hilarious. I'd have to do some serious consideration about trading for him. Is our first founder even good enough. The saints first rounder was waaay before ours. If its just our 1? I think about it. Anything more and I'm out. And that's without looking at his contract so that could sway my thought process.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Both are already signed. Amukamara signed a 1 year, $7mil deal with the Bears. Bouye signed a huge deal with the Jags.

As for the restricted tender status, the Patriots would have right of first refusal to assume any contract he signed with us. As far as the 1st round pick compensation, any first round pick fulfills that requirement. If we had the 1st overall, the 13th overall, AND the 32nd overall, we could send the 32nd and it would fulfill the compensation requirement. The only option they have with respect to refusal is if they want to match the contract. If not, they'll take 29 and have to smile.

*rounder not founder

Sorry typing on my phone

1st rounder Plus the big contract he will expect... I don't know. Why not go with Coleman who is great in nickle... Big contract but no loss of 1st rounder

idk...it fixes our #1 problem with a proven #1 from a great team, not fodder left over from a team that gets torched deep every game like dallas (clayborn/carr). it gives us some flexibility with our 1st pick THIS year to go at best-player-available, he's young, and again...money isn't a problem.

Not TT's style, but at the rate 1st rounders flop, and ours being all the way at the end, I would at least talk to him and see what he wants. I get that if its reasonable NE will match it, but you could try to poison pill it.

We need a bonafide #1 CB to drop the coverages of the other guys down the depth chart. It solves a huge problem. I wouldn't cry if TT did it...say a shields type contract.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Not TT's style, but at the rate 1st rounders flop, and ours being all the way at the end, I would at least talk to him and see what he wants. I get that if its reasonable NE will match it, but you could try to poison pill it.

We need a bonafide #1 CB to drop the coverages of the other guys down the depth chart. It solves a huge problem. I wouldn't cry if TT did it...say a shields type contract.
    Yes, I just don't see Ted giving up a first round pick for a FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Yes, I just don't see Ted giving up a first round pick for a FA.
    but ted is being the un-ted this year and it's not like our 1st round pick next year is going to be in the top 10.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    The more I think about giving up a first rounder for an established corner who can cover another team's number 1 WR, the more I would think about it if I were in TT's shoes. If you look at this article http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftology408_1.php it shows the success/bust rate of first rounders and has a link for second rounders too. I know the data is kind of old, but I'm guessing if someone did a more recent study, they would find it to be a similar success rate. It may be a risky move, but so could it be to not risk anything when you know Butler is going to be a stud for some team.

Bring him in and Connor Barwin and now you're cooking with heat.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

After reading the page of remarks, I'm gonna flip flop and come out in favor of signing Butler. Ya got a green light, Ted.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    idk...it fixes our #1 problem with a proven #1 from a great team, not fodder left over from a team that gets torched deep every game like dallas (clayborn/carr). it gives us some flexibility with our 1st pick THIS year to go at best-player-available, he's young, and again...money isn't a problem.
    how would we have flexibility with our 1st round pick, if new england has it?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    how would we have flexibility with our 1st round pick, if new england has it?
    we'd still have this year's pick. they'd get next years. even if i'm wrong and it's the first pick in the upcoming draft it would be worth it as no cb of his quality will be there when we pick.
    Last edited by gbgary; 03-13-2017 at 03:39 PM.

TT would give up all of the salary cap before he would give up any draft picks, much less a first rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    we'd still have this year's pick. they'd get next years. even if i'm wrong and it's the first pick in the upcoming draft it would be worth it as no cb of his quality will be there when we pick.
    its this years pick

and he still wants to be paid like an elite CB, thats why he can't get a deal in NE. so he's looking at 14-15 million per year, IF he decides to sign

or, like i said, he will walk next year for free, after we gave up a first rounder this year

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    TT would give up all of the salary cap before he would give up any draft picks, much less a first rounder.
    I agree, its certainly not TTs M.O. to do something like this. But.... the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Not that my thoughts are special. Like Smuggler pointed out, any first rounder satisfies the requirement and N.E. couldn't stop it. Butler is 27 and one of the closest things in this league to a shut down corner as there is, with respect to P.Peterson etc. I think a late 1 is a small price to pay for attaining his rights. This year he's only owed just shy of $4 million. Although that changes when you do a contract extension. And thats where the money comes in. The issue is do you want to pay dat man his money. It'd take what 12-14 million per year to keep him around? Thats a few shy from what Shields made and with the increase in salary cap, i'm intrigued. No way do I think it will happen. But its fun to think about. That would be a huge upgrade.

Ahh, Hoody Genius. He's sitting on Garappolo of whom he says he wouldn't trade for four first round picks (so two will do?). Now he's got another ace in the hole with Mr. Butler.

Shoot, glad I just follow the news and observations.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I agree, its certainly not TTs M.O. to do something like this. But.... the more I think about it the more I like the idea. Not that my thoughts are special. Like Smuggler pointed out, any first rounder satisfies the requirement and N.E. couldn't stop it. Butler is 27 and one of the closest things in this league to a shut down corner as there is, with respect to P.Peterson etc. I think a late 1 is a small price to pay for attaining his rights. This year he's only owed just shy of $4 million. Although that changes when you do a contract extension. And thats where the money comes in. The issue is do you want to pay dat man his money. It'd take what 12-14 million per year to keep him around? Thats a few shy from what Shields made and with the increase in salary cap, i'm intrigued. No way do I think it will happen. But its fun to think about. That would be a huge upgrade.
    I would be willing to bet a weeks pay that Hoody can do a lot more good/damage with that late 1st round pick than TT. Being that they aren't a division opponent it really wouldn't come around to bite the Packers. But Ted will never do it, dem draft picks is gold.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    its this years pick

and he still wants to be paid like an elite CB, thats why he can't get a deal in NE. so he's looking at 14-15 million per year, IF he decides to sign

or, like i said, he will walk next year for free, after we gave up a first rounder this year
    i heard he wants 8ish but even at 10-11-12 it shouldn't be a problem. and if it's this year's pick (i would think it's next year's as it's a compensatory pick) who cares? our biggest problem will be taken care of for several years. and he wouldn't be walking anywhere as (we tendered an offer that ne didn't match) he'd be signed.
    Last edited by gbgary; 03-13-2017 at 06:21 PM.