Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: malcom butler...

where do you get its a compensatory pick?

its a real pick. if a team signs a restricted free agent, the original team first gets the right to match it (in this case), if the original teams does not decide to match the contract, then the second team gives up the pick for the upcoming draft

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons (six or more regular season games with a team)[1] of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players, known as a "tender") from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a five-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.
    quote from wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    where do you get its a compensatory pick?

its a real pick. if a team signs a restricted free agent, the original team first gets the right to match it (in this case), if the original teams does not decide to match the contract, then the second team gives up the pick for the upcoming draft

quote from wikipedia
    ok so it's not a true "compensatory pick" but the fact stands that they get your first pick as compensation. it doesn't matter though, as i said, our biggest problem is solved and he's signed for several years.
    Last edited by gbgary; 03-13-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Unless we got him for 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't even consider this.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Unless we got him for 4 or 5 years, I wouldn't even consider this.
    well right. gilmore signed for 5/65 so yes you'd want it to be 4+ years. butler is 27 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    I would be willing to bet a weeks pay that Hoody can do a lot more good/damage with that late 1st round pick than TT. Being that they aren't a division opponent it really wouldn't come around to bite the Packers. But Ted will never do it, dem draft picks is gold.
    Just be a little careful. Hoody is a better coach than GM. He has a lot of draft misfires on his resume.

The Gilmore signing is a risk. Gilmore has been hurt and he hasn't graded well in the last two years. I am certain Bill thinks he can use him more to his strengths, but the Gilmore move carries risks that even his first round picks don't.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Just be a little careful. Hoody is a better coach than GM. He has a lot of draft misfires on his resume.

The Gilmore signing is a risk. Gilmore has been hurt and he hasn't graded well in the last two years. I am certain Bill thinks he can use him more to his strengths, but the Gilmore move carries risks that even his first round picks don't.
    Where Hoody succeeds as a GM is that he drafts players that fit his systems. He also doesn't have a lot of patients to wait for guys to maybe develop their potential. He sees most of the angles that makes him a great combo Coach/GM

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    Where Hoody succeeds as a GM is that he drafts players that fit his systems. He also doesn't have a lot of patients to wait for guys to maybe develop their potential. He sees most of the angles that makes him a great combo Coach/GM
    Identifying players that fit the system is good and something I wish the Packers did more of on defense. But he has drafted a large number of turds early, especially on Defense.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Basically a 2nd round pick is nothing to get a top flight CB.
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Basically a 2nd round pick is nothing to get a top flight CB.
    It is to Ted, he would give vital organs before losing draft picks.

My original instinct is there is no way that tt brings him here. But TT is acting a bit different this year.

he wouldn't be losing anything. butler is better than ANY cb that will be left for them at 29. HE is the draft pick, if you will. 27 year old known NFL quantity vs another question mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Upnorth View Post
    My original instinct is there is no way that tt brings him here. But TT is acting a bit different this year.
    he's being un-Ted...and it needs to continue.

fuck! hearing the cooks to n.e. was part of a wink-wink/nod-nod deal with the saints involving butler. now it makes sense why n.o. did such a dumb thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I am in full a agreement that TTs biggest problem is that he has an abundance of patients every damn year.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I am in full a agreement that TTs biggest problem is that he has an abundance of patients every damn year.
    Sublime.
    [QUOTE=George Cumby] ...every draft (Ted) would pick a solid, dependable, smart, athletically limited linebacker...the guy who isn't doing drugs, going to strip bars, knocking around his girlfriend or making any plays of game changing significance.

TT isn't giving up a 1st round pick for a guy about to get his second (and big) contact.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    TT isn't giving up a 1st round pick for a guy about to get his second (and big) contact.
    If the Packers have him rated high, what difference does it make if it's his second contract. Payday contracts do carry risk, but on some level it's worth giving up a first round pick for the right to get a guy like Butler, even if they would have to turn around and give him a big pay day. They were willing to take a risk on Sam and they are not paying him anymore, so why not find someone else who can take his role on the team. Even with House back in the fold for one year, I still say make this move, if it's possible to make.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    if he's all-in he will. he has in the past. that's the perfect time to do it. not when they're on the 3rd contract and in their last years.

he needs to do the butler thing anyway but if the saints thing is true he REALLY needs to get in there and do it!

It cracks me up that some of you are getting so worked up over Butler, when we have heard of zero contact or even interest from the packers

No one outside of a few packer fans are even thinking about butler to green bay

Butler is rumored to be going to New Orleans in a quid pro quo for the Brandin Cooks deal last week. Swap of first round picks and players. If Butler can come to terms with NO.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Butler is rumored to be going to New Orleans in a quid pro quo for the Brandin Cooks deal last week. Swap of first round picks and players. If Butler can come to terms with NO.
    I mentioned that several posts back. why can't we hijack the situation?