Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: House back to Packers

House back to Packers

Yahoo ticker says CB Davon House is returning to the Packers.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Still need a #1...
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Kind of odd, did House not play that well? I thought the Jags had a lot of cap room. He had 4 INTs and 23 PD his first year with the team (PD number led the league I believe). Then they bench and cut him. Were those numbers just a sign the opposing team was throwing his way all the time?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

depth. he'll fight it out with all the other backups we actually have starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Oday View Post
    Still need a #1...
    butler.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Meh

He provides depth, replaces Micah Hyde on the depth chart. Not a great tackler, or pure cover guy. This signing doesn't make the defense better, but if Randall can't get it together in his third year there is at least a veteran presence.

If House plays like 2014-2015, it will make the defense better. We didn't have enough depth at OCB last year. Hyde was a slot guy. They tried to make Rollins an outside guy, but he isn't cut out for that. Right now, he'd start, but we'll see what happens in the draft.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

They needed more corners than they could draft, so in that sense it's a good pickup. Not sure why he fell out of favor in Jax, but he was a decent nickel back when he was here last. Maybe Jax realized he was a nickel being paid like a starter and cut him because of that. A good corner is still a priority in the draft.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Not sure why he fell out of favor in Jax, but he was a decent nickel back when he was here last.
    They played more zone last year and House is not a zone guy. His strength is Man coverage. His weakness is Zone coverage.

More Zone = Less House

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

If Ted were gonna sign a top notch Corner, he wouldn't have needed House. I'm assuming this means no Butler or anybody else of consequence. Between Randall, Rollins, and Gunter, somebody better step up. Otherwise, we again play the season without a true #1 Corner in a D scheme that tends to rely on man coverage. Just the same, I'm not too negative on the situation. Remember about a year ago? Most people thought we were in excellent shape at Corner. Now, we are the same - minus Shields and plus House. Who knows, if we don't get hit hard by injuries, we could be OK.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    House is most likely our no. 2 at the beginning of the year with Randall our no. 1. Rollins, Gunter, and the 1st or 2nd round draft pick will probably fight over the 3rd starting CB spot with the other 2 grabbing the 4 and 5 slots. The draft pick may fight for the no. 2 spot during the year, but that depends on the pick. I was in the group that wanted House brought back. He fits our scheme and has a bigger body. Now we have 2 bigger bodied CBs in House and Gunter with a few available in the draft. Again TT uses FA but its not good enough. House on this team last year and the 4 game losing streak wouldn't have happened, then we get the 2 seed and play ATL at home. Not saying House woulda fared better vs Julio, but House and the cold and who f'n knows. No point in talking about it. I like the signing.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Blog Entries
    As I noted several times, I expected TT to sign hm ; he did fine here......knows the coaches...no brainer. He either is good enough to start of at least be a serviceable #3. They probably got him cheap too.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Say good bye to zone in 2017 boys!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

IMO the #1 Corner spot is Gunter's to lose - unless lightning strikes and Ted signs a star quality Corner or Randall suddenly gets about ten times better than he has played in the past. House might be in the mix, but I doubt he is better than Gunter.

Zone D can always be taught. It's not really a matter of "good bye". We never really used it much, and probably we won't, as it isn't really a part of the Capers schemes that are basically needed to keep the Packers D as competitive as it is.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    IMO the #1 Corner spot is Gunter's to lose - unless lightning strikes and Ted signs a star quality Corner or Randall suddenly gets about ten times better than he has played in the past. House might be in the mix, but I doubt he is better than Gunter.

Zone D can always be taught. It's not really a matter of "good bye". We never really used it much, and probably we won't, as it isn't really a part of the Capers schemes that are basically needed to keep the Packers D as competitive as it is.
    GUNTER A #1 ?

IF we enter the season with a marginally talented overachiever (that I do appreciate) like Gunter as our #1 we're throwing another yr of having the top player in the NFL out the window
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

We will draft a CB high and go into the season with the high pick, Randall, House as the likely top three. Gunter and Rollins likely as backups. Dorleant, Hawkins, and others (another draft pick perhaps) fighting it out for 1 more spot.

Well, at least he knows they D and isn't costing us an arm and a leg...

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post

Zone can be taught, but the closing speed you need to be successful can not.

I agree with most everything else you said here. Gunther is the best CB on the roster atm (yikes ) and unless Randall improves, which he should that won't change.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Randall regressed last year (injuries, attitude, whatever). He and Rollins both played well their rookie year. I do expect improvement (regression towards the mean and whatnot), but to say he needs to get ten times better than the past is ignoring what he did two years ago. He has flashed big play ability this last year too.

I think he needs to just get out of his head and play. Up to the coaches there.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Say good bye to zone in 2017 boys!
    good. the good teams play physical man and push the rules. so now we have two back ups who can play that way...gunter and house. we need a #1 who can.

What year did shields become good? I would argue his 3rd.
    What year did haywood become good? His first, then injured in the second then came back the third and was good.
    what year did tramon williams become good? His 3rd.

What are the odds that either Rollins or Randall get back on track this year? I would say at least one of them will be good for sure.
    So with that in mind we have Gunter and House as our 2 and 3 or 3 and 4.
    Plus HaHa is becoming better each year, and Burnett is stead, so maybe the secondary isnt as bad as we think it is.

Perhaps pass rush is actually a bigger priority for the d than cb. And ILB....
    Last edited by Upnorth; 03-15-2017 at 12:15 PM.