Thread: vikings sign datone...

vikings sign datone...

Obviously not all contract drives are successful. It was probably time to move in and find someone better.

A change of scenery was probably in order. He is considered another first round bust in my book, never living up to expectations or improving all that much.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    A change of scenery was probably in order. He is considered another first round bust in my book, never living up to expectations or improving all that much.
    Players make the scheme. Schemes do not make players. He was drafted as an answer at 5 technique and never really showed out. They tried him at OLB and that wasn't a significant improvement. At some point when playing football, you either win one on ones or you don't. First rounders are supposed to win one on ones more consistently. I thought he would be better than he turned out to be for the Packers. First rounders should not be "meh". I hope his production remains consistent with his new team.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I won't be surprised if Jones ends up playing better for the Vikings as a 4-3 DE on a faster turf surface. I think he was miscast as a 5-tech DE because he wasn't strong/heavy enough and he had no business trying to play as a 3-4 OLB in space. I never really liked him as a #1 pick but I hoped that he would find a spot and become productive. I just never thought he was a good fit for a 3-4 D. He had the ability to apply some pressure and get close but he never seemed to be able to close the deal and get the sack. He was also notorious for committing a stupid penalty for what seemed like just about every game.

Hard to believe he's already had 4 years with the Pack. Where in the hell did that time go so quickly? Maybe it doesn't seem like he's been here that long because he never really did much of any consequence.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 03-14-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Players make the scheme. Schemes do not make players. He was drafted as an answer at 5 technique and never really showed out. They tried him at OLB and that wasn't a significant improvement. At some point when playing football, you either win one on ones or you don't. First rounders are supposed to win one on ones more consistently. I thought he would be better than he turned out to be for the Packers. First rounders should not be "meh". I hope his production remains consistent with his new team.
    Where does the fault lie in Datone's failure to live up to expectations? Personal commitment? Coaching? Scheme? Evidently the Vikings see something the Packers haven't been able to unearth and develop. He has demonstrated the physical talent to play defense whether his hand is in the dirt or not. Yes, he has committed some bone headed mistakes in critical situations - but what is the root cause? He is pretty well educated in the school sense, what kept him back in the football reality?

So he's off to the Vikings. My feeling is Mike Zimmer realizes the real possibilities and will develop Datone into a defensive asset the Packers just plain missed.

Just who is in charge of developing the Packers defensive players and scheme?

I thought he looked better in 2016. Didn't realize it was a contract year.

I feel like the Packers did develop the guy - just in time for him to leave.

The joke is on NFL fans who follow these annual pickup teams as if the players were somehow attached to their city.

Guess I'll feel better if Lacy gets dumped, but Ted will probably keep the only guy I'm tired of looking at.

Fuck this world and all the stupid people in it.

Lacy is gone.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QBME View Post
    Where does the fault lie in Datone's failure to live up to expectations? Personal commitment? Coaching? Scheme? Evidently the Vikings see something the Packers haven't been able to unearth and develop. He has demonstrated the physical talent to play defense whether his hand is in the dirt or not. Yes, he has committed some bone headed mistakes in critical situations - but what is the root cause? He is pretty well educated in the school sense, what kept him back in the football reality?

So he's off to the Vikings. My feeling is Mike Zimmer realizes the real possibilities and will develop Datone into a defensive asset the Packers just plain missed.

Just who is in charge of developing the Packers defensive players and scheme?
    So they'll do to Datone what we already did with Guion? At least when Guion's on the field and not serving a suspension. Grrrr.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

The Vikas cut Guion because their shitty coaches suck. That was before Zimmer, though.

Good call Smuggler. I hate that I like Zimmer. He just seems like a good dude. Took too damn long for him to get a HC gig. Sucks its with the Vikings. I do live in Dallas so there is some history here and a mini love fest depending on who you talk to.

One strike against Jones is he is dumber than a box of rocks. He was always good for at least one boneheaded play/personal foul a game.

I hope Fackrell or Elliott can step up.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Good call Smuggler. I hate that I like Zimmer. He just seems like a good dude. Took too damn long for him to get a HC gig. Sucks its with the Vikings. I do live in Dallas so there is some history here and a mini love fest depending on who you talk to.
    evidently the vikes don't like him too much. a number of them went to him and told him he was fucking up and how to fix it. turner quit. remember when they ignored his defensive call(s)?

I don't see any way that can be interpreted other than the Vikings players are fucking retarded and when they ignored his calls and failed, I think it reinforces it.

"I'm hungry to sack Aaron Rodgers this year." - Datone Jones

"If I'm the one guy he sacks this year, so be it." - Rodgers, probably

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    If you make the point that the Packers are ultimately responsible for the evaluation that got him drafted in the first place and that they were wrong about his ability to play the 5-Tech, I'd agree with that. We've seen that in other picks, too. I get that on some level these guys are football players and should be adaptable, like a college tackle being better suited to play guard in the NFL. Sometimes, I think a team can get too clever for it's own good and then the player really doesn't have a position at which they can excel, unless they are just so freakin' talented that you can plug them in multiple places and they will thrive. Datone needed to have more moments where he won his 1 on 1 battle and showed more dominance. Why he could not consistently show that, I don't know. For someone who is evaluated and picked that high in the draft, I typically think the production will be greater than what we saw from him.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    evidently the vikes don't like him too much. a number of them went to him and told him he was fucking up and how to fix it. turner quit. remember when they ignored his defensive call(s)?
    I definitely remember that GBGary, but it seems a bit hazy. Wasn't that just a couple DBs and not the whole defense that did that? Terrance Williams is a Zim guy too, and I think he just resigned. I could be wrong, but Aaron dissected them. Think Smug is right that it prob gives Zim more respect and reinforces his teachings. Guess time will tell. Still think he's a good dude and respected around the league.

It was in the first quarter of a game. And yes, it was the vet giving bad advice to a younger player. Not sure its still affecting them.

Xavier Rhodes was the young 'un and Terence Newman was the backseat DC.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 3h3 hours ago

Datone Jones Vikings deal $3.75M, $1.6M signing bonus, $1.5M salary, $31,250 per game active, $150K workout bonus, $1.25M sacks-pt incentive
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.