Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2013 draft...

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    not in my book

whether a player just sucks, or he's an all pro for another team, if he's no longer on the team after 4 years, thats a fail for TT

when you're a build and develop only team like we are (for the most part), you have to find 8-10 guys every single year that can play, and then you have to keep them for 5 or 6 or 7 years at least. you can't afford to loose the decent ones you find

TT did good drafting that year, he did terrible keeping those players. busts or all pros on other teams contribute the same amount to our team next year, nothing

nothing= fail. except for one home run on bahk
    Drafting was awesome for the year. Retention is completely different. I think 75% of the league would have taken our 2013 draft results

Blog Entries
    on paper the picks look fine had we kept them all. But I also don' t think it's unfair to measure TT,since he's pretty much draft and develop only....by how many of his picks warrant second contract. I don't think many if any of these guys wanted to leave. Ted didn't value them high enough to warrant paying them the market value and keeping them.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Or the market over valued them. 2013 was not a strong class. It increases their relative value unless you are a good drafting team. Can't be critical of the draft. You can of the lack of retention

So the criticism shifts from the picks to the retention...

How much would YOU have offered Datone, Lacy, Tretter and Hyde? I recall people posting about offering Lacy a 1 year deal for $2M plus incentives. The Packers gave Lacy an offer, Seattle beat it. It's not like TT and M3 didn't want him back, at least according to M3's comments. It's a good drat for RBs supposedly, so TT will find an in-shape, cheaper, non-injured replacement.

I've already mentioned Hyde.
    Tretter wasn't worth starter's money as a backup. Linsley is the starter for one thing, and Tretter can't stay healthy for another. Plus Cleveland offered him a ton of money, and even McGinn was talking the season before this one about how Tretter was likely gone.

Good for these guys for getting paid; I don't have anything against them. I just don't think their contracts are worth it.

pbmax is right about the problem with this draft being only one cornerstone.

Datone is a disappointing goof ball who will commit a personal foul at the worse possible moment. He will never have to worry about paying his MENSA dues. He has never been the pass rusher we had hoped for.

Lacy is a good back but I don't think he is as dedicated as he should be and having asthma isn't a good combo for a football player in GB. We can find a younger back in this draft to compliment Monty.

Tretter probably wanted a chance to start and we have one in Linsley. JC is a better tackle than guard and we have more tackles than we have spots for.

Hyde is good but is he better than House? House is faster and speed is one thing we need on this defense, especially with Shields gone.

The one FA we lost that leaves the biggest hole is Lang. Unless they have another Lane Taylor under wraps this development has me concerned the most.

I think theyll miss Tretter almost as much as Lang. O-linemen who can play multiple positions well aren't common. See Barclay, Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    on paper the picks look fine had we kept them all. But I also don' t think it's unfair to measure TT,since he's pretty much draft and develop only....by how many of his picks warrant second contract. I don't think many if any of these guys wanted to leave. Ted didn't value them high enough to warrant paying them the market value and keeping them.
    This is fair for Datone. Hyde got $6mil/yr and Tretter about the same. Lang got almost $10mil/yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I think theyll miss Tretter almost as much as Lang. O-linemen who can play multiple positions well aren't common. See Barclay, Don.
    I also wonder about the order of events. Is Tretter still on this team if Lang signed with the Lions first?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I also wonder about the order of events. Is Tretter still on this team if Lang signed with the Lions first?
    If they thought Tretter could replace Lang, I'm inclined to think they would have signed Tretter right away and not bothered to try and sign Lang. Younger and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If they thought Tretter could replace Lang, I'm inclined to think they would have signed Tretter right away and not bothered to try and sign Lang. Younger and less expensive.
    I think Tretter is a better tackle than guard.

For me the two losses that concern me the most are Hyde and tretter. Lang was going to get top dollar but tretter in and around 5/yr was likely worth it. Same with Hyde. Real question is whether they would have accepted 5/year from gb prior to fa.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I think Tretter is a better tackle than guard.
    Agreed. He's a guard in a pinch. If he could stay healthy he would be the starting center and we'd be wondering about Linsley as Langs replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Not inexpensive for a backup, though. However, he might have been just about the most versatile backup they have had since, what, Flanagan?

I don't think he starts at Guard even if he stays, but there is room in the budget even as the most expensive backup O line in the League.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'm ready to make my call.
    1) JT Watt OLB
    2) Quincy Wilson CB
    3) Joe Mixon RB
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'm ready to make my call.
    1) JT Watt OLB
    2) Quincy Wilson CB
    3) Joe Mixon RB
    Dammit...wrong draft thread!

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Dammit...wrong draft thread!
    How very Vikings of you bobble!

Nice pbmax. Too bad they drafted Kevin Williams when they made that blunder. ...

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Nice pbmax. Too bad they drafted Kevin Williams when they made that blunder. ...
    Well...if I'm going full vikings perhaps we have a stellar draft now.