View Poll Results: How do you rate the Packers Free Agency so far?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success

14 43.75%
  • So-so

11 34.38%
  • Failure

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency So Far

Free Agency So Far

ESPN is running a poll about who has had the best free agency and the worst. They preselected about 7 teams each for the poll, and the Packers are one of the 7 worst in their opinion. What do you think?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Personally, I think it's been a success:

* The offense will be better with two talented TEs
    * Lang will be missed, but not at $9 MM per
    * The Packers only lost two notable FAs (1 count for Lang, 1 combined count for Lacy, Jones, and Tretter)
    * The defense will be better as I firmly believe last year was significantly below average performance for Rollins and Randall and they'll improve simply by regression to the mean.

Downsides are that the Packers need a RB. And could use another talented CB and pass rusher. But they aren't far, and I think it's absolutely ridiculous to call them one of the worst performers during the first week of FA. I think with two TEs, the Packers O will be even more difficult to stop than the end of last year (barring injuries).

I'm not a koolaid drinker (most of the time), but I'm more optimistic than it seems many others are.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Draft is very deep at cb and Rb

There is nothing better for a regular season than to lose the offense according to pundits.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I said so-so. I like the signing of the two TE's and keeping Perry. Those are the big moves. Bringing back Davon House is a good move, but we'll see how much he can really help.

I realize you have to leave some room for new guys that you draft, and guys that are still developing. That said, we are not deep at RB, so I'd be in favor of getting one in FA. I think we could kick the tires on AP and see what he has left in the tank.

The elephant in the room is the defense. How are they going to generate more pass rush to help the cover guys on the back end? How are the cover guys going to improve to help the DL? I distinctly recall the second game of the year when the D was getting after it with pressure on Bradford, and several sacks and a very stingy run defense. However, the achilles heel (broken record alert) was Randall getting torched by Stefon Diggs. If Randall doesn't have the quicks to be a cover corner, then perhaps he could fulfill the same type of role that Hyde was filling, and the Packers could go after a cover corner. The best guy available who would cost them is Malcolm Butler, but you could go Alteraun Verner or Nickell Robey-Coleman as veteran depth. CB may be a draft target.

I would switch my vote from so-so to success if they landed Connor Barwin.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Good post. I'd like Barwin and a veteran RB.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

I said so-so. Barwin would make it a success.

Blog Entries
    OFFENSE LOSSES JUMPING SHIP
    Cook
    Lang
    Tretter
    Lacey

OFFENSE GAINS COMING ABOARD
    Kendricks

DEFENSIVE LOSSES JUMPING SHIP
    Peppers
    Hyde
    D Jones

DEFENSIVE GAINS COMING ABOARD
    House

Kept Perry
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

About the best you can ever hope for with Ted is lateral movement - picking up somebody to cancel out somebody lost. This year, they haven't even done that. Another thing Ted has done in the past is to use high draft picks to replace players lost in free agency. I wouldn't be surprised if he does that again this year - thus, wasting the draft pick in terms of improving the team.

Despite all of that, I voted "so-so" because Ted correctly did not overpay for Lang or Hyde and because losing Lacy IMO is addition by subtraction. Also, they retained my favorite underrated/underplayed Packer (well, second after Janis), Jayrone Elliot. Keeping Nick Perry at that price is an OK move, not a great bargain but at least not losing a good player.

If would take signing a top level Corner (of which there probably aren't any left) AND signing Barwin for me to upgrade it to Good or Excellent.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I said so-so. Barwin would make it a success.
    Well, so much for that.

Blog Entries
    Thus far we've failed in free agency. Of course the jury is still out but I don't see us using the money that we saved by not keeping Lang or Hyde on many, if any quality free agents.

Did anybody really think Perry was leaving ? We were going to pay for Nick Perry.

Green Bay was far stronger before free agency than they are now; it's an annual thing. Of course our players will improve.....nobody else's will......and we'll use the draft to try to get back to near the level we were when we lost our last playoff game

it's an annual thing
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Thus far we've failed in free agency. Of course the jury is still out but I don't see us using the money that we saved by not keeping Lang or Hyde on many, if any quality free agents.

Did anybody really think Perry was leaving ? We were going to pay for Nick Perry.

Green Bay was far stronger before free agency than they are now; it's an annual thing. Of course our players will improve.....nobody else's will......and we'll use the draft to try to get back to near the level we were when we lost our last playoff game

it's an annual thing
    The Packers are stronger at Tight End
    Probably weaker at Guard
    Cornerback is about the same.
    A little weaker at OLB.

I think TT will still sign someone or 2. In the end, free agency will probably be a wash.

Blog Entries
    Probably weaker at Guard
    A little weaker at OLB.

I think TT will still sign someone or 2. In the end, free agency will probably be a wash.

The Packers are stronger at TE
    The Packers are much weaker at OG
    CB, maybe is about the same at best but I'd probably take Hyde over House for the same money
    The Packers are a much weaker at OLB after losing both Peppers and Jones without any replacements

Not sure how I feel about Losing Lacy.

Blog Entries
    Probably weaker at Guard
    A little weaker at OLB.

The options are dwindling; we're restocking via draft.

Probably weaker at Guard
    A little weaker at OLB.

Is this comparison with last year at this time (offseason) or just FA season this year?

Because cornerback is probably better, even if its not good enough, by just adding House to the existing trio. Whatever is lost with Hyde at slot is overshadowed by House outside.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Is this comparison with last year at this time (offseason) or just FA season this year?

Because cornerback is probably better, even if its not good enough, by just adding House to the existing trio. Whatever is lost with Hyde at slot is overshadowed by House outside.

This is just this year

Are we better or worse off compAred to a couple months ago

I say worse

House is a decent signing, and Bennett is a slight upgrade, Kendrick is might be a slight upgrade over dickrod

But we've lost a ton of talent, I know some of you guys like to shit all over ex packer players, but we lost some good players, and haven't replaced those guys (other then cook)

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar

it's an annual thing
    Gains from players healing alone usually make this untrue.

A "successful" free agency season is synonymous with failure in the draft. The fact that we need full price help at TE, OLB, CB, and RB is because players at those positions, players on rookie contracts well below market value, have disappointed. No amount of free agents can repay those opportunity costs. This idea that we're one or two overpaid guys away from a superbowl is stupid; we're 3 or 4 vastly underpaid guys away.

At one point the 2013 draft looked like a home run deep into the stands. It was squandered and now the whole thing (minus Bakhtiari) got away without any rings.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

OFFENSE GAINS COMING ABOARD
    Kendricks
    Martellus Bennett
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Gains from players healing alone usually make this untrue.

A "successful" free agency season is synonymous with failure in the draft. The fact that we need full price help at TE, OLB, CB, and RB is because players at those positions, players on rookie contracts well below market value, have disappointed. No amount of free agents can repay those opportunity costs. This idea that we're one or two overpaid guys away from a superbowl is stupid; we're 3 or 4 vastly underpaid guys away.

At one point the 2013 draft looked like a home run deep into the stands. It was squandered and now the whole thing (minus Bakhtiari) got away without any rings.
    Just WOW. Very well stated.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!