View Poll Results: How do you rate the Packers Free Agency so far?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success

14 43.75%
  • So-so

11 34.38%
  • Failure

7 21.88%

Thread: Free Agency So Far

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    total fail. done NOTHING to improve the team so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    total fail. done NOTHING to improve the team so far.
    Really? The #1 TE in FA (and likely Top 5-7 in NFL) signed counts as "nothing"?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    He doesn't count because he was just replacing Cook, hadn't you heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    He doesn't count because he was just replacing Cook, hadn't you heard?
    I'll take 50+ catches and a handful of TDs over 30 catches and 1 TD everyday.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    nope...not really. cook was hungry for success and wanted to be here. Rodgers wanted him back. Bennett, although good, has lots of business distractions in his life, has a ring. i wonder how hungry he is now. to me the small talent difference is off-set by a question of "want to." so it's pretty much a wash. that was just tt covering his ass. but you know...offense wasn't what needed bolstering. it was the D and NOTHING has been done there to improve the team except bring in a back-up cb. the needs of the D are well known and back-up cb isn't one of them.

nope...not really. cook was hungry for success and wanted to be here. Rodgers wanted him back. Bennett, although good, has lots of business distractions in his life, has a ring. i wonder how hungry he is now. to me the small talent difference is off-set by a question about "want to." so it's pretty much a wash. that was just tt covering his ass. but you know...offense wasn't what needed bolstering. it was the D and NOTHING has been done there to improve the team except bring in a back-up cb. the needs of the D are well known and back-up cb isn't one of them.
    Cook may have "wanted" to be in GB but he reportedly declined an offer that was more generous than the one signed by Bennett. I agree that the difference between Cook and Bennett seems relatively small, but I don't think it's fair to say that TT dropped the ball on this one. It sounds like Cook was trying to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Cook may have "wanted" to be in GB but he reportedly declined an offer that was more generous than the one signed by Bennett. I agree that the difference between Cook and Bennett seems relatively small, but I don't think it's fair to say that TT dropped the ball on this one. It sounds like Cook was trying to break the bank.
    that report was discredited days ago. tt didn't drop the ball...he had to sign bennett after cook's agent fucked up. as i said tt covered his ass with the bennett signing. he had no choice. he offered less than market for cook and ended up signing bennett for market...and we know how he hates to do that.
    Last edited by gbgary; 03-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.

that report was discredited days ago.
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Where?
    packers-didnt-offer-jared-cook-more-than-martellus-bennett/

Bennett received three-year, $21 million package, a “clean” $7 million per year arrangement with no incentives or fluff. (The contract eventually will be filed and reported on, so the truth on that specific claim eventually will come out.) The source also says that the most the Packers offered Cook was $6 million per year, and that included incentives.

The Packers, we’re told, made it clear to Bennett that they are loyal to the players who played for them, and they were candid about the intense effort invested in trying to get a deal done with Cook. That loyalty actually had a positive impact on Bennett, even though it delayed the team’s effort to pursue him — and potentially would have made an arrangement between Bennett and the Packers moot.

Ultimately, the Packers decided to pay more for the man they deemed to be better player, and to let Cook look for a better offer elsewhere.
    Well so far La Canfora has been much more accurate than Demovsky or Wilde. At this point would not be surprised if the Cook offered more turned out to fizzle too.

Code:
    CONTRACT:3 yr(s) / $21,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$6,300,000 AVERAGE SALARY $7,000,000
    GUARANTEED:$7,200,000 FREE AGENT:2020 / UFA

YEAR BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP
    2017 $900,000 $2,100,000 $600,000 $250,000 $3,850,000 $7,200,000
    2018 $3,600,000 $2,100,000 $2,600,000 $250,000 $8,550,000 $4,200,000
    2019 $5,650,000 $2,100,000 $600,000 $250,000 $8,600,000 $2,100,000

nope...not really. cook was hungry for success and wanted to be here. Rodgers wanted him back. Bennett, although good, has lots of business distractions in his life, has a ring. i wonder how hungry he is now. to me the small talent difference is off-set by a question of "want to." so it's pretty much a wash. that was just tt covering his ass. but you know...offense wasn't what needed bolstering. it was the D and NOTHING has been done there to improve the team except bring in a back-up cb. the needs of the D are well known and back-up cb isn't one of them.
    Contributions on the field are more applicable to actual success than fans' projections on "hunger for success".

Code:
    Name		Rec	Targ	Rec%	Yds	Yd/Rec	Long	TDs	Car TD	Car Yr	TD/Yr
    Cook		30	51	58.8%	377	12.6	47	1	17	8	2.1
    Kendricks	50	87	57.5%	499	10.0	44	2	17	6	2.8
    Bennett		55	73	75.3%	701	12.7	58	7	30	9	3.3
    Kendricks is basically the replacement for Cook, and he had Goff & company throwing to him. Bennett is the over and above.

I'm not disagreeing regarding your comments as it relates to the defense. But to completely ignore the TE signing as "TT doing NOTHING" indicates a certain level of blindness as it relates to what the Packers have brought in so far. Just because the signings weren't where we were hoping doesn't mean they did "nothing". They vastly updated their receiving core, and gave M3 something to work with he has never had in his entire tenure: 2 starting quality TEs.

And honestly, considering Lacy was injured most of last year and fat most of the previous year, I don't really see it as a downgrade that he was signed elsewhere. He wasn't exactly reliable these last two years. The G is a downgrade, but I'll wait to see if it's a tire fire before calling the fire department.
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 03-17-2017 at 12:06 PM.