View Poll Results: How do you rate the Packers Free Agency so far?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Success

14 43.75%
  • So-so

11 34.38%
  • Failure

7 21.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Free Agency So Far

total fail. done NOTHING to improve the team so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    total fail. done NOTHING to improve the team so far.
    Really? The #1 TE in FA (and likely Top 5-7 in NFL) signed counts as "nothing"?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    He doesn't count because he was just replacing Cook, hadn't you heard?

So-so.
    Love the TE upgrade.
    Good to keep Arod happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    He doesn't count because he was just replacing Cook, hadn't you heard?
    I'll take 50+ catches and a handful of TDs over 30 catches and 1 TD everyday.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

It's an upgrade if he/they stay healthy and if they play smart and motivated. It might have been exciting to see a full season of Cook playing with Aaron Rodgers. On the other hand, he might have been prone to injuries, and it seems like he missed a few assignments or whatever when he did play. I don't know anything about Bennett or Kendricks in those ways, but hopefully one or the other or both can do the job.

Still, this is just a little bit better than a lateral move. And combined with everything else, Ted gets about a C- or D+.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    OFFENSE LOSSES JUMPING SHIP
    Cook
    Lang
    Tretter
    Lacey

OFFENSE GAINS COMING ABOARD
    Bennett
    Kendricks

DEFENSIVE LOSSES JUMPING SHIP
    Peppers
    Hyde
    D Jones

DEFENSIVE GAINS COMING ABOARD
    House

Kept Perry
    Fixed for you

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think the jury is still out on Rollins and Randall. Both suffered through terrible seasons and injuries are most likely a big part of that plus add in the learning curve of being second year players, and then losing Sam Shields. Shields was a top flight corner in the league and the Packers sure fire #1 corner. Nobody truly expect to lose him for good. Unfortunately there is no player on the roster that is ready to step into the cleats vacated by Shields and Thompson was not going to pull the trigger on the higher priced free agents out there. I am not sure any of them were truly worth their contracts, but that is free agency. Teams are going to over pay for what is out there. I am truly fine with losing Hyde and picking up the cheaper House. House is actually a better cover corner but does not offer the flexibility of Hyde. I am still kind of scratching my head over letting Casey Heyward go. I know that he suffered through injury his last two years in GB but when he was healthy he was great in the slot and had a very high instinct, not signing him was magnified when Shields went out. Depth is an issue and right now there is no one player that has demonstrated #1 corner capabilities and that need can't be met with a rookie acquired in the draft.

The Packers still need depth behind the often injured Matthews and Perry. Frackrell didn't show enough last year as a rookie, and Elliot is still a question mark. No new players were brought in so the expectation is going through the draft.

The defensive line is getting thinner with the suspension of Guion. Nothing addressed in free agency.

The offensive line took a hit with the loss of Lang and Tretter. So far nothing has been addressed in free agency.

The Packers lost Lacy to free agency, they currently have a legit depth chart of one player - Montgomery. At this point nothing has been done to address the need

The Packers did make a move to acquire two very solid tight ends. I am one of those people that think Bennett is a top 5 tight end in the league. So free agency seems to have filled a need

So the Packers have a lot of holes right now that are apparently going to be addressed in the draft. The Packers lost more than they have gained during free agency. Right now this off season isn't screaming "Super Bowl or Bust!!!!"

I can work my way through the Hayward piece. You have Shields. Randall had a decent rookie year. Rollins and Gunther would fight for the 3-4 spot. Hyde can play some slot. In August of 2016 that group actually looked like it could be a strength of the team. Shields goes down. Randall gets hurt. Rollins regressed. Now you have a shit show.

The OLB and OL losses are the ones that I thought might be replaced by free agents this year. You can have a rookie OLB/edge guy that plays well so maybe that's the hope.

I would say about as expected. Lang leaving is the one thing that is probably going to hurt, but I wouldn't have wanted Ball to match Detroit's offer either. Bottom line is that this loss is survivable but we should be prepared to see lots of discontinuity on offense, at least early in the season. Fortunately, Packer fans have lots of experience with early season offensive dysfunction.

One saving grace about losing Lang is Ted is adept at finding gems in later rounds so perhaps he'll find another one next month?

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    nope...not really. cook was hungry for success and wanted to be here. Rodgers wanted him back. Bennett, although good, has lots of business distractions in his life, has a ring. i wonder how hungry he is now. to me the small talent difference is off-set by a question of "want to." so it's pretty much a wash. that was just tt covering his ass. but you know...offense wasn't what needed bolstering. it was the D and NOTHING has been done there to improve the team except bring in a back-up cb. the needs of the D are well known and back-up cb isn't one of them.

Maybe, but how often are those middle round guys able to step in and play well right away? Bakh was the exception, and his first year was not free of bumps. Lang, Sitton, EDS, they were all backups for at least a year before becoming dependable contributors.

nope...not really. cook was hungry for success and wanted to be here. Rodgers wanted him back. Bennett, although good, has lots of business distractions in his life, has a ring. i wonder how hungry he is now. to me the small talent difference is off-set by a question about "want to." so it's pretty much a wash. that was just tt covering his ass. but you know...offense wasn't what needed bolstering. it was the D and NOTHING has been done there to improve the team except bring in a back-up cb. the needs of the D are well known and back-up cb isn't one of them.
    Cook may have "wanted" to be in GB but he reportedly declined an offer that was more generous than the one signed by Bennett. I agree that the difference between Cook and Bennett seems relatively small, but I don't think it's fair to say that TT dropped the ball on this one. It sounds like Cook was trying to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
    Maybe, but how often are those middle round guys able to step in and play well right away? Bakh was the exception, and his first year was not free of bumps. Lang, Sitton, EDS, they were all backups for at least a year before becoming dependable contributors.
    yup. the o-line is weaker now.

Cook may have "wanted" to be in GB but he reportedly declined an offer that was more generous than the one signed by Bennett. I agree that the difference between Cook and Bennett seems relatively small, but I don't think it's fair to say that TT dropped the ball on this one. It sounds like Cook was trying to break the bank.
    that report was discredited days ago. tt didn't drop the ball...he had to sign bennett after cook's agent fucked up. as i said tt covered his ass with the bennett signing. he had no choice. he offered less than market for cook and ended up signing bennett for market...and we know how he hates to do that.
    Last edited by gbgary; 03-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.

nope...not really. cook was hungry for success and wanted to be here. Rodgers wanted him back. Bennett, although good, has lots of business distractions in his life, has a ring. i wonder how hungry he is now. to me the small talent difference is off-set by a question of "want to." so it's pretty much a wash. that was just tt covering his ass. but you know...offense wasn't what needed bolstering. it was the D and NOTHING has been done there to improve the team except bring in a back-up cb. the needs of the D are well known and back-up cb isn't one of them.
    Contributions on the field are more applicable to actual success than fans' projections on "hunger for success".

Code:
    Name		Rec	Targ	Rec%	Yds	Yd/Rec	Long	TDs	Car TD	Car Yr	TD/Yr
    Cook		30	51	58.8%	377	12.6	47	1	17	8	2.1
    Kendricks	50	87	57.5%	499	10.0	44	2	17	6	2.8
    Bennett		55	73	75.3%	701	12.7	58	7	30	9	3.3
    Kendricks is basically the replacement for Cook, and he had Goff & company throwing to him. Bennett is the over and above.

I'm not disagreeing regarding your comments as it relates to the defense. But to completely ignore the TE signing as "TT doing NOTHING" indicates a certain level of blindness as it relates to what the Packers have brought in so far. Just because the signings weren't where we were hoping doesn't mean they did "nothing". They vastly updated their receiving core, and gave M3 something to work with he has never had in his entire tenure: 2 starting quality TEs.

And honestly, considering Lacy was injured most of last year and fat most of the previous year, I don't really see it as a downgrade that he was signed elsewhere. He wasn't exactly reliable these last two years. The G is a downgrade, but I'll wait to see if it's a tire fire before calling the fire department.
    Last edited by Smidgeon; 03-17-2017 at 12:06 PM.

i imagine if cook hadn't missed so many games his stats would be better but there was no doubt about his impact when he was healthy. bennett will be bennett. like i said...a wash basically. kendricks will get dickrod's 20 catches. lost lang (starter) and tretter (good depth) on the oline, lacy (good when healthy), hyde (serviceable guy who made plays). all minuses. the team has not improved at all through FA...to this point.

that report was discredited days ago.
    Where?

Where?
    packers-didnt-offer-jared-cook-more-than-martellus-bennett/

Bennett received three-year, $21 million package, a “clean” $7 million per year arrangement with no incentives or fluff. (The contract eventually will be filed and reported on, so the truth on that specific claim eventually will come out.) The source also says that the most the Packers offered Cook was $6 million per year, and that included incentives.

The Packers, we’re told, made it clear to Bennett that they are loyal to the players who played for them, and they were candid about the intense effort invested in trying to get a deal done with Cook. That loyalty actually had a positive impact on Bennett, even though it delayed the team’s effort to pursue him — and potentially would have made an arrangement between Bennett and the Packers moot.

Ultimately, the Packers decided to pay more for the man they deemed to be better player, and to let Cook look for a better offer elsewhere.
    Well so far La Canfora has been much more accurate than Demovsky or Wilde. At this point would not be surprised if the Cook offered more turned out to fizzle too.

Code:
    CONTRACT:3 yr(s) / $21,000,000 SIGNING BONUS$6,300,000 AVERAGE SALARY $7,000,000
    GUARANTEED:$7,200,000 FREE AGENT:2020 / UFA

YEAR BASE SALARY SIGNING BONUS ROSTER BONUS WORKOUT BONUS CAP HIT DEAD CAP
    2017 $900,000 $2,100,000 $600,000 $250,000 $3,850,000 $7,200,000
    2018 $3,600,000 $2,100,000 $2,600,000 $250,000 $8,550,000 $4,200,000
    2019 $5,650,000 $2,100,000 $600,000 $250,000 $8,600,000 $2,100,000