Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Reasons for Hope on Defense 2017 edition

"Experts" say that only 10 to 15 players have true first round talent in most drafts. When you consistently pick later than 24th in the first round, you get second round grades on those picks. You either take someone raw like a 20 year old NT with a high upside or a college safety that you project to play CB after a learning curve who also has a high upside. Another choice is to pick a position like G, RB, or S that is not highly valued so that you can get a first round talent with your late first round pick. Another choice, if you cannot find a trade partner willing to allow you to drop back to the 2nd round, is to choose someone at a highly valued position who is more polished but without the high upside that a first round pick usually has. In other words, a pick that would normally have 2nd round or later value. The last choice, one which the Packers do not usually make, is to take someone with significant character or injury risks, but with a high upside. Justin Harrell might have been the last choice we made with this type of pick.

This year's draft, as characterized by "experts" has the usual 10 or so first round talents but an unusually high number of 2nd and 3rd round talent, perhaps stretching into the 4th or 5th round at some positions. Positions that match our need. It will be interesting to see what we do on draft day and maybe even in the weeks after draft day in putting together the last 10 members of our roster.

Everyone moaning about Capers refuses to remember its been the defense rather than the offense playing the best ball in the postseason, 3 out of the last 4 years.

Its still too uneven, they get blown out WAY too often, but Dom has delivered more than the offense lately in the postseason.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Everyone moaning about Capers refuses to remember its been the defense rather than the offense playing the best ball in the postseason, 3 out of the last 4 years.

Its still too uneven, they get blown out WAY too often, but Dom has delivered more than the offense lately in the postseason.
    Not sure I quite follow your rationale PB. I don't remember losing many playoff games only giving up 20 points. I do agree that the offensive production versus the defensive production is very uneven and closing the gap is really what we need in a vague sort of explanation.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

Agree 100%. Its been a gripe of mine that the vaunted MM offenses seem to struggle in the postseason.

Not saying Capers D has been awesome, but generally adequate. I can't put a finger on why, its possible he game plans more intensely in the post season?
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Welp, Idk where my mind is PB, but over looking the last few years as a whole it seems you're on to something. Apologies good sir.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Not sure I quite follow your rationale PB. I don't remember losing many playoff games only giving up 20 points. I do agree that the offensive production versus the defensive production is very uneven and closing the gap is really what we need in a vague sort of explanation.
    Lets take a look.

2012- Held the Vikings to 10 points, but then had no answer for the read option. Primarily Eric Walden's issue, but nearly everyone on the D was at fault once.
    2013- Lost wildcard weekend, held 49ers to 23 points...20 most of the game.
    2014- Held the cowpies to 21 points, got 6? picks against seattle in championship game held seattle to 7 points through 3 Q. 22 in regulation. Offense couldn't put it away despite all that.
    2015- Held Redskins to 18, Held Cardinals to 10 in 3 Q, 20 in regulation...again, offense couldn't (wouldn't?) put it away...lost in OT.
    2016- Held Giants to 13 points, but stunk on ice the next 2.

So, looking at 2013/14/15 I would say the D was up to the task in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    Did you even watch Clark play last year? If he plays as he did in the playoffs last season, he was an excellent late first round pick. He contributed to a playoff run, so he's already a better pick than Datone.
    Agreed. Jones was a mistake. He never was a good fit. Let MN have him and his boneheaded penalties.

If Randall and Rollins are playing together next year, we ought to nickname them "Dollar Short" and "Day Late."
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries
    Dom is OK; I won't argue with those who think a change is needed to move in another direction....but I think anybody who bashes Dom endlessly ingnores all of the deficiencies Ted Thompson has left him with on defense. Boat without paddle at times
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I suspect Dom is highly regarded by his peers but not so much by the fans in the stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    If Randall and Rollins are playing together next year, we ought to nickname them "Dollar Short" and "Day Late."
    I really wish Fat Eddie would have stuck around. It would have been Cagney and Lacy in the backfield, Ponch and John at ILB, and Day Late and Dollar short at DB.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Lets take a look.

2012- Held the Vikings to 10 points, but then had no answer for the read option. Primarily Eric Walden's issue, but nearly everyone on the D was at fault once.
    2013- Lost wildcard weekend, held 49ers to 23 points...20 most of the game.
    2014- Held the cowpies to 21 points, got 6? picks against seattle in championship game held seattle to 7 points through 3 Q. 22 in regulation. Offense couldn't put it away despite all that.
    2015- Held Redskins to 18, Held Cardinals to 10 in 3 Q, 20 in regulation...again, offense couldn't (wouldn't?) put it away...lost in OT.
    2016- Held Giants to 13 points, but stunk on ice the next 2.

So, looking at 2013/14/15 I would say the D was up to the task in the playoffs.
    Haha, just now saw this Bobble. Thanks but already looked it up. I think the problem is with consistency. I wouldn't really say either side played their best ball. Offense or defense.

Haha, just now saw this Bobble. Thanks but already looked it up. I think the problem is with consistency. I wouldn't really say either side played their best ball. Offense or defense.
    Agreed, but if the narrative is that we are wasting Rodgers, I would argue that he needs to put 24 on the board in regulation to justify that argument.

Consistency would be good. A Plan C to avoid a blowout would also be welcome.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    I really wish Fat Eddie would have stuck around. It would have been Cagney and Lacy in the backfield, Ponch and John at ILB, and Day Late and Dollar short at DB.

Fat Eddie didn't leave because we low balled him - he left so he could play in a run first offense in Seattle and get out of the cold.

Right now I'm listening to WDUZ on the computer talk about the Pack and the local hosts are wringing their hands over the fact we have to get a RB in the draft instead of a vet. The only vet who got any attention so far is Eddie. There is a reason why the other guys including AP are still unemployed. Isn't RB the easiest position for a rookie to make decent contribution for his team?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post

Fat Eddie didn't leave because we low balled him - he left so he could play in a run first offense in Seattle and get out of the cold.

Right now I'm listening to WDUZ on the computer talk about the Pack and the local hosts are wringing their hands over the fact we have to get a RB in the draft instead of a vet. The only vet who got any attention so far is Eddie. There is a reason why the other guys including AP are still unemployed. Isn't RB the easiest position for a rookie to make decent contribution for his team?

I think they are all asking for way too much money; but teams may squeeze them as we approach the draft. Some teams, including GB, may be inclined to consider signing a RB and once the draft occurs and we draft one.....no mas in terms of interests.

JAMAL CHARLES......if he was healthy he's be the fit in GB
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?