Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for Hope on Defense 2017 edition

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    There was an article mid season said he got injured in the first week but tried to fight through until he finally had surgery. He was injured all year except week 1 where he dominated. So no, I disagree with you and bet he'll be better.
    That is what I remember but I cannot find that article. Its not in the injury news of rotoworld or similar, it must have been a deeper piece on JSO about his year.

Thumb injury versus Vikings: http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...back/91479202/
    Last edited by pbmax; 03-21-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

There was an article mid season said he got injured in the first week but tried to fight through until he finally had surgery. He was injured all year except week 1 where he dominated. So no, I disagree with you and bet he'll be better.
    From mid season when he had the surgery

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...y-groin-injury

First injured in week 4, tried to play the next week but didn't make it to halftime

A good write up that seems to support my side of the Randall equation

https://www.totalpackers.com/2016/12...rious-randall/
    Last edited by red; 03-21-2017 at 08:49 PM.

Got it: http://www.packersnews.com/story/spo...g-do/92797420/

Its a little bit speculative though I think it fits with his performance.

Randall is believed to have suffered the injury during the Week 2 game at Minnesota. He wasn't on the injury report the following week but said after the victory over Detroit on Sept. 25, that he was "a little banged up."

He showed up on the injury report on the first day of practice after the bye and then dropped out of the New York Giants game. He tried to come back against Dallas, but lasted only 17 snaps before dropping to the ground in pain and exiting the game.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/nflnation...-made-it-worse

Randall’s injury first surfaced in the week leading up to the Oct. 9 game against the Giants.

So, he was either injured in week 2 or week 3.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    He was injured very early so anyone making long term judgements is going to be eating their words.

I think my articles say he was hurt during the by week

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Reasons for Hope.

But some of these are unique to right now. Name the last D lineman you thought was going to start ahead of Daniels or Raji/Guion.

It might have been undrafted free agent Mike Pennell.....but deep down I thought he was juicing....but I liked him for a while

TT has failed multiple times via the draft here....TRIVIA...who was that worthless POS third round draft pick most of us hated from day one ? I'm surprised as I'm usually pretty good with remembering picks but I can't even recall his name.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Khyri Thornton?

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/nflnation...-made-it-worse
    Randall’s injury first surfaced in the week leading up to the Oct. 9 game against the Giants.
    I think red's links, and frankly the majority of stories from a Google search, reference red's date. But the reason they do that is because its easily verifiable as he appears on the injury report for the first time.

But I trust Silverstein knows something he is not at liberty to reveal, otherwise he wouldn't give a Randall quote from Sept 25 but date the injury a week earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    It might have been undrafted free agent Mike Pennell.....but deep down I thought he was juicing....but I liked him for a while

TT has failed multiple times via the draft here....TRIVIA...who was that worthless POS third round draft pick most of us hated from day one ? I'm surprised as I'm usually pretty good with remembering picks but I can't even recall his name.
    Fair point. But I think there are real upsides to be had on the front 7. The backend has more holes in its hope quilt.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think red's links, and frankly the majority of stories from a Google search, reference red's date. But the reason they do that is because its easily verifiable as he appears on the injury report for the first time.

But I trust Silverstein knows something he is not at liberty to reveal, otherwise he wouldn't give a Randall quote from Sept 25 but date the injury a week earlier.
    Or when you article mentions that Randall said he was "a little banged up", he could update have been talking about something unrelated to his groin, like bumps and bruises, like every player has during the season

If he was injured in week 2, and didn't show up on the injury report for a "groin", then the packers would have broken the rules just like the Seahawks did with Sherman or the steelers did with bell or the jets did with favre

He was injured very early so anyone making long term judgements is going to be eating their words.
    It all depends on when the injury happened

Weeks 2 and 3 he was horrible and looked like the exact same player he was after the injury

So if he really was injured week 2, then he had a very probable excuse. However, if he was only hurt during the bye week(week 4. Then imo there's huge reason for concern because he showed the same shitty problems that he showed at the end of the year

He also, if I'm not mistaken had one or two really bad game at the end of the previous season

So I see a pattern before and after the injury after he lost his swagger

Unless they didn't know about it. Sometimes a player thinks he's just dinged up a bit and doesn't go to the team doctor right away. Happens quite often. Regardless, he was listed as questionable on the first injury report after the week 3 game, so he was very likely injured in week 3. There's a chance he was initially injured in week 2 or had something else bothering him. A player doesn't usually talk about being dinged after two games if he's not dealing with something. The fact is he was dealing with injuries most of the year. Count me in the camp that he'll rebound. He showed me a lot his rookie year. This is similar to Hayward's career projectory.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Reasons for hope. In the draft thread we are picking Dalvin Cook apparently. So, TT and MM plan on running the ball 50 times a game to keep the D off the fields as much as possible.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Reasons for Hope on Defense 2017 edition
    9. they can only be better as they can't be much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Reasons for hope. In the draft thread we are picking Dalvin Cook apparently. So, TT and MM plan on running the ball 50 times a game to keep the D off the fields as much as possible.
    Where did you here that? Cook would be a damn good pick if indeed we go for an RB. He's basically a Montgomery type speed back - the best of that type IMO in the draft. That still doesn't - and damn well shouldn't - run 50 times a game or anywhere near it. It just means having an even more effective change of pace to Aaron Rodgers passing first and most.

The way D enters into it is you score and score and score some more, and force the opponent to take some chances. Then you get ball hawkish and come up with turnovers.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Nice write up and hopefully we can get a rookie or two who will make an impact on defense. I was all about getting a CB in the 1st but now I think we should go pass rusher, CB in the 2nd with it being a heavy draft for that position, than OL in the 3rd but who the fuck knows with Ted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Gunter. Some people seem to disrespect him for lack of speed, but I'd say instinct - which he has plenty of - trumps speed. I'd rather we had a top notch #1 Corner and Gunter as #2, but as of now, Gunter is the best we've got.
    Gunter has the best pre-snap mechanics of any of the CBs. He's no speed demon, but has good field sense. I'd like to see him work into Casey Hayward's old gig. Capers likes a cover 2-like deploy of the safeties. There are a few jobs he can do and do 'em well. He's no iso corner, but he is a decent defensive back.