Thread: Ricky Jean Francois Signs With Packers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't believe we've had this much money to play with. When people criticize Thompson, they point to him not signing outside FAs. However, he generally resigns his own, and it hasn't left him much to play with. This year, a lot of our own guys got away. Thus, instead of resigning a Jared Cook, T.J. Lang, and Eddie Lacy, he signed Bennett, Kendricks, Francois, and House--outside of using a good chunk of change on resigning Nick Perry.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't believe we've had this much money to play with. When people criticize Thompson, they point to him not signing outside FAs. However, he generally resigns his own, and it hasn't left him much to play with. This year, a lot of our own guys got away. Thus, instead of resigning a Jared Cook, T.J. Lang, and Eddie Lacy, he signed Bennett, Kendricks, Francois, and House--outside of using a good chunk of change on resigning Nick Perry.
    We've always had the cap room to sign one or two of these types of guys (rig, house) every year

Every season we seem to leave 4 or 5 million in cap space on the table, and just keep kicking it down the road. Last season we left almost 10 million in free cap space.

2 or 3 of these types of players last preseason might just have gotten us another super bowl win

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    We've always had the cap room to sign one or two of these types of guys (rig, house) every year

Every season we seem to leave 4 or 5 million in cap space on the table, and just keep kicking it down the road. Last season we left almost 10 million in free cap space.

2 or 3 of these types of players last preseason might just have gotten us another super bowl win
    You're right, Red. We have had the cap room to get these types of players. Perhaps the approach/philosophy changed a little after last year's debacle with DB injuries and only young depth that wasn't ready to contribute at a high enough level. I know people like scape goating the DB's, and there are reasons and excuses and the reason they weren't very productive IS because of injuries and youthful depth. That is partially on TT and MM in the roster building. They clearly needed a better mix of experience and youth. The pass rush also wasn't very consistent last year, which didn't help the DB's.

Also, as long as you have a need to fill, the cap hit is acceptable, and you are not stunting the growth of a promising young player, I'm cool with these types of signings. What do you do if coming out of camp the guy you sign for 1 year, 3 million is under-performing (not because of injury) compared with a young, developing player. For instance, if Christian Ringo comes in and tears it up, and RJF lays an egg in camp, but you can only keep one, do you clearly cut RJF since Ringo is an ascending player? I'm not saying that will happen, I'm asking what happens if that does happen? I suppose it would be more of a hard ship if you had more cap money committed than one year, but still, you have to have a roster spot and a role for the free agents that you sign, and hope that you don't have to cut an ascending player.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan