Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ricky Jean Francois Signs With Packers

i don't think tt's changed. he's been plugging holes with FA. not really looking for upgrades so much. a lot of lateral moves. bennett is a slight upgrade, rjf may be too over pennel, who knows about house or kendrick. there's nothing all-in about this so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    i don't think tt's changed. he's been plugging holes with FA. not really looking for upgrades so much. a lot of lateral moves. bennett is a slight upgrade, rjf may be too over pennel, who knows about house or kendrick. there's nothing all-in about this so far.
    All in tends to mean sacrificing the future for (hopefully) results now. TT will never be that guy. The change is more of realizing there are more holes than can be filled in the draft / UDFA, and being better prepared for inevitable injuries (e.g. getting two TE's that are better than R.Rodgers.) Replacing Lang and Shields still needs to be done.

The Packers have enough talent to win, as long as there are no glaring holes to be exploited.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I don't believe we've had this much money to play with. When people criticize Thompson, they point to him not signing outside FAs. However, he generally resigns his own, and it hasn't left him much to play with. This year, a lot of our own guys got away. Thus, instead of resigning a Jared Cook, T.J. Lang, and Eddie Lacy, he signed Bennett, Kendricks, Francois, and House--outside of using a good chunk of change on resigning Nick Perry.
    We've always had the cap room to sign one or two of these types of guys (rig, house) every year

Every season we seem to leave 4 or 5 million in cap space on the table, and just keep kicking it down the road. Last season we left almost 10 million in free cap space.

2 or 3 of these types of players last preseason might just have gotten us another super bowl win

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    "All-in" tends to mean sacrificing the future for (hopefully) results now.
    not necessarily "sacrificing" the future but taking a bite out of it yes. Rodgers and company aren't going to be around much longer so go for it while they're still good. the future gm can fix it later when Rodgers is gone and nuclear winter sets in. there's absolutely no reason to be penny pinching now.

not necessarily "sacrificing" the future but taking a bite out of it yes. Rodgers and company aren't going to be around much longer so go for it while they're still good. the future gm can fix it later when Rodgers is gone and nuclear winter sets in. there's absolutely no reason to be penny pinching now.
    Except that TT is happy with being good for x number of years and not quite getting there as opposed to trying to be great. I like to call it hi grade mediocrity.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    We've always had the cap room to sign one or two of these types of guys (rig, house) every year

Every season we seem to leave 4 or 5 million in cap space on the table, and just keep kicking it down the road. Last season we left almost 10 million in free cap space.

2 or 3 of these types of players last preseason might just have gotten us another super bowl win
    You're right, Red. We have had the cap room to get these types of players. Perhaps the approach/philosophy changed a little after last year's debacle with DB injuries and only young depth that wasn't ready to contribute at a high enough level. I know people like scape goating the DB's, and there are reasons and excuses and the reason they weren't very productive IS because of injuries and youthful depth. That is partially on TT and MM in the roster building. They clearly needed a better mix of experience and youth. The pass rush also wasn't very consistent last year, which didn't help the DB's.

Also, as long as you have a need to fill, the cap hit is acceptable, and you are not stunting the growth of a promising young player, I'm cool with these types of signings. What do you do if coming out of camp the guy you sign for 1 year, 3 million is under-performing (not because of injury) compared with a young, developing player. For instance, if Christian Ringo comes in and tears it up, and RJF lays an egg in camp, but you can only keep one, do you clearly cut RJF since Ringo is an ascending player? I'm not saying that will happen, I'm asking what happens if that does happen? I suppose it would be more of a hard ship if you had more cap money committed than one year, but still, you have to have a roster spot and a role for the free agents that you sign, and hope that you don't have to cut an ascending player.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

All right, I go away for a couple of days and Ted signs another FA? We can't say Ted didn't dip his toes in this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    All right, I go away for a couple of days and Ted signs another FA? We can't say Ted didn't dip his toes in this year...
    just plugging holes he created. we're still in minus column though (more player out than in).

just plugging holes he created.
    Interestingly, Cowboys dumping a bunch of players this year too in FA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ensive-exodus/
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Interestingly, Cowboys dumping a bunch of players this year too in FA.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ensive-exodus/
    they have cap issues. Packers don't.

just plugging holes he created. we're still in minus column though (more player out than in).
    The only 2 glaring holes Ted hasn't plugged in FA are OG and RB. RB is one position where you can find immediate help in the draft so I don't know if you can say we are still in the minus column.

The only 2 glaring holes Ted hasn't plugged in FA are OG and RB. RB is one position where you can find immediate help in the draft so I don't know if you can say we are still in the minus column.
    absolutely...but the subject was FA.

gbgary, because we can plug that hole in the draft I didn't consider not signing a FA to replace Lacy a minus.

they have cap issues. Packers don't.
    Geez, I wonder why they have cap issues.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Blog Entries

Are you remotely happy with our four starting LB's ? Perry Matthews.................I think our pass rushing remains a huge hole we need to address.....as is team speed on defense
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I was just addressing what Ted did to replace our FAs that left with the FAs we added. ILB is still a big issue. Perhaps they are considering putting Clay back in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    jerrah renegotiating contracts year after year. a year or two ago he didn't have enough to even sign draft picks. i forget who he renegotiated to fix that. the romo contract was a killer, one trick pony dez. tried to build a team for aging romo like we should be doing for Rodgers. what's kicked dallas' ass was romo not playing last year...their best chance to win a sb. they lucked into dak and now don't have room to do anything this year. the chances that the Packers immediately run into a great qb to take Rodgers place is slim to none. no way the Packers could do it three qbs in a row. that's why i'm in favor of future cap disarray, for the next gm, to go for it now while Rodgers is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    i doubt they got there by signing a bunch of free agents to 1 year deals

The $4-7 million they have at the end of the season is for two things:

1. Emergencies. You need to sign guys if people get injured and they all count on the cap.
    2. Signing your own. I think given that this year the number carried over after signing a bunch of guys midseason indicates they thought they would sign one more guy prior to FA. Didn't get done last year after Bach.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

so, what does our new signing do with all his nfl money?

does he drink it?, smoke it?, put it up his nose? spend it on hookers?

nope he spends in all on dunkin donuts

and not the same way BJ raji or eddie lacy do it

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...aign=editorial