Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Jean Francois Signs With Packers

Ricky Jean Francois Signs With Packers

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
    Former Washington DT Ricky Jean Francois signed a one-year, $3M deal with Packers, per source.

Ted must be cryogenically frozen.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Well no shit. That's a pretty friendly deal too.

guess he'll take guion's place (who's been suspended 4 games) who'll have to show he's worth bringing back week 5. wouldn't surprise me if he gets cut.

Bye Bye Guion.

I don't think Guion is going anywhere this year. I think Francois is being signed for veteran depth and to essentially take the place of Pennel.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 03-23-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I don't think Guion is going anywhere this year. I think Francois is being signed for veteran depth and to essentially take the place of Pennel.
    there ya go! i knew they were going to be short there (he signed w/nyj). couldn't think of the circumstances.

These are the types of signings that I wish we would have seen more of over the years

Decent vet player, not a cap buster, but should help the team be better

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    These are the types of signings that I wish we would have seen more of over the years

let's hope so...but at this point it's one d lineman out/one d lineman in. hole plugged.

Pennel played so little last year it was almost like not even having him on the roster. Between the suspensions and injuries I think he only appeared in 7 games. I like this signing because now between Daniels, Clark, Lowry, Francois, Guion, Price, and Ringo I think we're in pretty good shape along the DL. Shouldn't even have to spend any picks in this area unless T.T. sees someone fall who he just can't pass up or they find an undrafted rookie who ends up being a diamond in the rough.
    Last edited by SMBASS; 03-23-2017 at 06:57 PM.

They say Francois is better than his statistics show - what does that even mean? That he doesn't do much, but he looks good doing it? I'm lukewarm about this signing. Let's wait and see; Hopefully he will be a positive part of the rotation.

BTW, didn't Guion get $1 million a year? Based on that, $3 million for somebody not expected to be significantly better is not all that cheap.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Now this is the kind of FA signing I like. This alone is not much, but added with the draft and possibly a little more FA activity and I really think it will help. Now if the o-line sucks and Rodgers goes down, none of it will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    They say Francois is better than his statistics show - what does that even mean? That he doesn't do much, but he looks good doing it? I'm lukewarm about this signing. Let's wait and see; Hopefully he will be a positive part of the rotation.

BTW, didn't Guion get $1 million a year? Based on that, $3 million for somebody not expected to be significantly better is not all that cheap.
    Think Gilbert brown or Ryan picket or Santana Dotson. Those guys never had a ton of sacks or tackles, but they were damn good players

RJF is a run stuffer, he takes up blockers so others can make plays

Like a 3-4 lineman should do, he's gonna do the dirty work and make guys like clay, perry and bevis and butthead look better

Overall, tt has been the most successful gm in the NFC during his time with the Packers. But the Patriots are better and do use FA more. I think it's a positive change for Thompson. I think the people who wanted to see more free agents were right. I also would have taken tt over all the other GMs because they're just plain worse at winning. But I'm glad tt seems to have changed. Should be good for our SB chances!!

Guion got 1 million his first year with the Packers. He's been getting about 3.5 million since.

Guion has now been suspended twice with the Packers. If Francois isn't as stupid, that alone could make him an upgrade.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

Totally agree and have thought the same. Perhaps TT has come to realize the issues with depth being mostly young players. The other thing about having RJF as depth is that if a starter misses any time prior to game 5, they can better survive Guion's absence. If they are all healthy and RJF is killing it, then Guion may have trouble finding a roster spot.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I don't believe we've had this much money to play with. When people criticize Thompson, they point to him not signing outside FAs. However, he generally resigns his own, and it hasn't left him much to play with. This year, a lot of our own guys got away. Thus, instead of resigning a Jared Cook, T.J. Lang, and Eddie Lacy, he signed Bennett, Kendricks, Francois, and House--outside of using a good chunk of change on resigning Nick Perry.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Good signing. A guy that plays his position and hold his ground, taking up blockers so the linebackers can make the play. Exactly how a 3-4 defense is played.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Now this is the kind of FA signing I like. This alone is not much, but added with the draft and possibly a little more FA activity and I really think it will help. Now if the o-line sucks and Rodgers goes down, none of it will matter.
    Definitely agree with you and GBGary. I wish we would have been making more of these signings through the years. Not sure what has changed, ARs comments? Fans getting unruly? Ted getting old and less stubborn? Who knows! But I'm glad he's finally going there. #gopackgo
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Definitely agree with you and GBGary. I wish we would have been making more of these signings through the years. Not sure what has changed, ARs comments? Fans getting unruly? Ted getting old and less stubborn? Who knows! But I'm glad he's finally going there. #gopackgo
    They don't usually lose this many guys. Harv is right, they let a lot of pricey players walk, plus Shields isn't coming back.

The Packers have been second lowest in League on number of active signed players the entire offseason. There were not enough draft picks to fill the holes.

I said earlier and Dougherty wrote about it for packersnews.com that Ted decided his vets needed upgrades, especially on defense.

I think he still sees those upgrades as coming from within, but they needed depth as well. Only exception so far was TE and CB. I think House might start.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    That's pretty good analysis PB. And a lot better reason for TT to make these signings. We did lose a larger number of role players than in years past. Which is also a change of pace for TT. I agree with him that the players lost signed bigger deals than I wanted TT to sign them to. So for that and for utilizing FA to plug holes, I tip my hat.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!