Thread: Packers Offseason Project: 19 Week Gameplan and Self Scout

Packers Offseason Project: 19 Week Gameplan and Self Scout

McCarthy and staff took 2 weeks. They did normal opposition scouting of entire 19 week Packer schedule. Took one full week to do review and gameplan.

Spent second week discussing how they were attacking the other side.

Just days before they left for the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, the Packers coaching staff completed the most extensive self-scouting project that McCarthy has undertaken since he took over as head coach in 2006.

This wasn't the same old, same old, where the offensive coaches grade their own players and examine their tendencies, and the defensive coaches do the same with their guys. No, this was self-scouting to an extreme.

"The offense and defense took all 19 games and put it through a full breakdown like we were getting to play each other," McCarthy said. "We did a 19-game breakdown."

"I want to know what the strengths were, what the weaknesses are, the tendencies, the mannerisms and so on," McCarthy said. "There was a consistency at how you were looking at each other within the game-plan structure that we use."

He wasn't the only one. One of his longtime assistant coaches said at the combine, "It's the best project we've ever done as a staff."
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

This seems like something they should be doing every year.
    I am better looking than you.

Quote Originally Posted by arcilite View Post
    This seems like something they should be doing every year.
    They always self scout on the bye week and offseason. But not 19 games worth of film. And I don't think its defense reviewing offense, etc.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    They always self scout on the bye week and offseason. But not 19 games worth of film. And I don't think its defense reviewing offense, etc.
    like arc said, seems exactly like something they should be doing every year

This seems like common sense shit that should have been going on all along. The thing is, they can self scout all they want. But if they do nothing about the faults they find...

Love the criticism of an improvement. Sure, it sounds obvious, but how many teams do it? This is a good idea because when you are the offensive coach you have bias about your players. You might not be able to admit a weakness, but if Dom scouts it and builds an attack play he is going to be brutally honest (and vice versa). Perhaps they can break each other out of their personal bias and learn something.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I wonder, in this process, if McCarthy yanked down his shorts and self-scouted his balls to see if they are big enough to get the Packers to a Super Bowl again.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I wonder, in this process, if McCarthy yanked down his shorts and self-scouted his balls to see if they are big enough to get the Packers to a Super Bowl again.
    I just had dinner Fritz. Why are you doing this to me?