Thread: PACKERS EMPHASIS ON EXPLOSIVENESS---JS

Blog Entries

PACKERS EMPHASIS ON EXPLOSIVENESS---JS

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

He is going analytical on us Bretsky!
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I thought the problem was that we were too small.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

After reading Dougherty's article the thing that struck me most was how little has changed so far this offseason. When the Packers eliminated the Cowboys and made it to the NFCC game the entire coaching staff saved their jobs. But in the end it sucked getting clobbered by the Falcons the way we did....

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I thought the problem was that we were too small.
    I think there is something to this. Not sure how fundamental the change is though, because except for maybe Hyde, each change on D so far in understandable as a typical Ted move.

Ted mentioned moving toward analytics a couple of years ago and last year someone ran the League's picks against the SPARQ measurement of explosiveness and the Packers came out pretty high for the last couple of drafts. The question of how you dramatically improve your D by watching SPARQ values is an open question, but it is definitely one approach.

Seattle is the franchise know for valuing those measurements for quite some time. But I there is a good chance he is paying more attention to ideas like this.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    After reading Dougherty's article the thing that struck me most was how little has changed so far this offseason. When the Packers eliminated the Cowboys and made it to the NFCC game the entire coaching staff saved their jobs. But in the end it sucked getting clobbered by the Falcons the way we did....
    Frustrating sure. But how much should an NFC game participant change the roster?

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    I think there is something to this. Not sure how fundamental the change is though, because except for maybe Hyde, each change on D so far in understandable as a typical Ted move.

Ted mentioned moving toward analytics a couple of years ago and last year someone ran the League's picks against the SPARQ measurement of explosiveness and the Packers came out pretty high for the last couple of drafts. The question of how you dramatically improve your D by watching SPARQ values is an open question, but it is definitely one approach.

Seattle is the franchise know for valuing those measurements for quite some time. But I there is a good chance he is paying more attention to ideas like this.
    Ted's always leaned a little towards the Al Davis side of the Football Player:Athlete continuum.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    Ted's always leaned a little towards the Al Davis side of the Football Player:Athlete continuum.
    Yeah he has. His public statement on this is to have his staff remind him to get good football players not just athletes.

My worry is that he has had 3 or so drafts in a row that people thought the choices were wise and a lot of them were on defense (Ha-Ha, Jones, D lineman). I want to get back to people being mad at Thompson's drafts because he found some real difference makers then (Collins/Jennings/Nelson).

Blog Entries
    Yeah he has. His public statement on this is to have his staff remind him to get good football players not just athletes.

My worry is that he has had 3 or so drafts in a row that people thought the choices were wise and a lot of them were on defense (Ha-Ha, Jones, D lineman). I want to get back to people being mad at Thompson's drafts because he found some real difference makers then (Collins/Jennings/Nelson).

Don't sell me short; I'm pissed at Thompson every year in the draft.....lol....Think Kylie Thornton and Richard the Plodder Rodgers. Not many were pissed on HaHa. But Nelson and Jennings bring back memories,
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Frustrating sure. But how much should an NFC game participant change the roster?
    Perhaps you're right. But many of us are wondering if our team has become "perennial playoff losers." I think you'd have to admit that we've endured a number of painful losses over the past few years, and I just tend to think that without more significant change we're in for more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    Perhaps you're right. But many of us are wondering if our team has become "perennial playoff losers." I think you'd have to admit that we've endured a number of painful losses over the past few years, and I just tend to think that without more significant change we're in for more of the same.
    I'm inclined to agree. I would like a young DC to come in and shake it up a bit. I wouldn't mind spending a few bucks to replace shields.

During the favre era we were perennial playoff losers due to his turnovers in big moments. Now its our letdown on defense (and at times offense) in big games.

HOWEVER....by all rights we had a second super bowl in the bag v. seattle before a fake FG and a bonehead play put us away. We were clearly the best team that year imho. But as long as we almost never sign a FA to fix a hole on D, we always seem to have one weak link. Be it Hawk, a second safety, OLB opposite clay or whatever.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Could there be an upgrade to Capers that helps? Sure. Its probably one of three or four guys if you want a guarantee.

Could there be an upgrade to the DC that would align the personnel to a coordinator who will adjust the plan to the players? Much more likely. But this is as much personnel side and coach side. Seems like it needs to happen. If you want a critique of a failure of Thompson/McCarthy, this is it. But be clear, the defense probably doesn't play better overall, but is more consistent and less likely to get blown out in playoffs. That might be enough.

Better and easier still: sometime after 2009, hit on a game changer of a defensive player in the draft.

Now we're in to some philosophical discussion that I can get into, ha-ha.

The team is so close as we were witnessed to during our ending 8 game regular season winning streak - what a thrill that was. Heck, at that point many of us thought the team was destined to go all the way. But to get killed the way we did versus the Falcons it pretty well muted all that excitement. For frick sakes, the season came to a screeching halt.

The fact that the defense has remained status quo, especially in terms of Dom Capers, is enough for fans to feel uneasy. The Packer D was shredded far too many times last season, and that was mostly through the air.
    Whenever a formidable passing team hits the field next year, expect to be holding your breath the same way we've become accustomed too.

I don't know how any defensive coordinator could've done much with Rollins, Randall, and Gunther as the top three corners at the end of the season.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack