Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RANKING THE PACKERS TOP DRAFT NEEDS

See, the good, honest, earnest and trusting posters here at PackerReason.com are taking Mike's word as his bond. And I probably agree, that Spriggs is not the plan. Now.

But let's say Ted takes a college Tackle who projects to Guard in the 4th and its going to take him a year to get ready, if not more. Barclay could be Barclay from 2015 and Murphy might not make the transition to Guard. Patrick might take a second year jump right to another team if he doesn't improve (see MacDonald, Nick).

The moment Rodgers gets knocked around from the RG spot the third game in a row, in will come Spriggs (unlike the other 4 prospects, he will be active each game) and he will not get mauled.

He probably isn't a guard and wasn't much in the run game last year. But he has a Tackles' ability to grab on and throttle a pass rush. And that means, plan or no, Spriggs is the backup to the backup at RG, no matter what Mike says this offseason and camp.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Also, if Barclay is Barclay from limited exposure in 2016, then I am even less worried about Guard. It might be fourth on the list.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Barclay is Barclay
    Ugh

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    See, the good, honest, earnest and trusting posters here at PackerReason.com are taking Mike's word as his bond. And I probably agree, that Spriggs is not the plan. Now.

But let's say Ted takes a college Tackle who projects to Guard in the 4th and its going to take him a year to get ready, if not more. Barclay could be Barclay from 2015 and Murphy might not make the transition to Guard. Patrick might take a second year jump right to another team if he doesn't improve (see MacDonald, Nick).

The moment Rodgers gets knocked around from the RG spot the third game in a row, in will come Spriggs (unlike the other 4 prospects, he will be active each game) and he will not get mauled.

He probably isn't a guard and wasn't much in the run game last year. But he has a Tackles' ability to grab on and throttle a pass rush. And that means, plan or no, Spriggs is the backup to the backup at RG, no matter what Mike says this offseason and camp.
    Ya gotta take what any of these coaches and GMs say with a grain of salt. I don't necessarily trust them word for word. Anything can happen btwn now and week 1. You have to read btwn the lines with no absolutes. Do I trust MM when he says he wants Spriggs to learn only tackle? Sure, but wants and needs change from day to day.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Barclay is a serviceable guard but a dreadful tackle.

Also, if Barclay is Barclay from limited exposure in 2016, then I am even less worried about Guard. It might be fourth on the list.
    I always felt Barclay could play guard better than tackle. Problem is he is an awful tackle and a below average guard.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    If at all possible, we need a difference maker in the first round - somebody who is star-quality. You could argue we haven't had anything like that since Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews, and maybe Jordy, although it's hard to say how good he would be without Rodgers.

I don't think we need another unproven/unfinished product at Corner. We have quantity now, just not top quality. Same thing at OLB. It's probably not smart to use a #1 on a ILB. What else is there? Pretty much everywhere, we have quantity of decent but not outstanding players. I've never advocated trading up, but if it got us a near sure thing, it might be smart.
    In 2013 with Rodgers sidelined with a broken collarbone Jordy put up decent numbers.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats...0/jordy-nelson

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I always felt Barclay could play guard better than tackle. Problem is he is an awful tackle and a below average guard.
    come oooon...he's gotten better as time has gone along. so did what's his name we all used to rag on. lol...dang it...name is on the tip of my tongue. i hate getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    come oooon...he's gotten better as time has gone along. so did what's his name we all used to rag on. lol...dang it...name is on the tip of my tongue. i hate getting old.
    Barclay is bad. I would bet the is the last option to start at guard. It means all other plans fell through. That being said you know what you are getting. He is not a turnstile. He is a solid back up.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.