Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RANKING THE PACKERS TOP DRAFT NEEDS

Blog Entries

RANKING THE PACKERS TOP DRAFT NEEDS

Due to Roster Nees, Preceived Weaknesses...........JS ONLINE

Nice Article..........

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...eeds/99534806/
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    THESE ARE MY GUYS

At outside linebacker UCLA’s Takkarist McKinley would have to be tempting if his recent shoulder surgery keeps him available until the end of the round. And Wisconsin’s T.J. Watt is a real possibility if he’s still on the board.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I think the needs are RB, CB, OLB, and OL. We will probably draft an ILB, another CB, and another RB. One other pick will be a WR or TE.

defense, defense, o-line.

cb, move clay inside, draft olb, o-line (guard), rb depth maybe.

Just don't draft a fuggin fullback.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by esoxx View Post
    Just don't draft a fuggin fullback.

PASS RUSH PASS RUSH
    SPEED SPEED SPEED
    COVER GUYS COVER GUY COVER GUYS

the end

PS....would be cool to sign a guy who could help with the above so we don't head into the draft with so many needs

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    defense, defense, o-line.

cb, move clay inside, draft olb, o-line (guard), rb depth maybe.
    I agree with your positions and rankings GBGary. And the thread does say rank our needs. But I think we need to be careful when the draft actually gets here. I don't think we should go into any pick expecting any 1 postion. I'd be looking for 1 of 3 positions CB, OLB/EDGE, and Guard. If all the top CBs and Edge players are gone and if we can fill Lang's spot with a plug and play Guard, solidifying the O-line might be worth the pick. I'd hate to reach for one of those other positions and let a possibly great piece go that will help protect Aaron for possibly the rest of his career. I'd have to consider waiting till the 2nd and 3rd for the CB and OLB picks, in that circumstance. I know the defense needs as much help as it can get, and RJF and House don't plug the holes completely, but they do help. Another big CB in the 2nd or 3rd could go along way as we have had success with our coaching up of young DBs as of late. Anything can happen draft night, I think its Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News that says the nfl draft is a living and breathing thing that is ever changing.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Would bet against a Guard early.

CB, EDGE, ILB.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

CB, EDGE, ILB.
    Would bet on a 4th round OL. Typically a guy who played tackle in college but projects to an NFL guard. That's the MO at least. Any earlier and it's a guy who's a tackle in the NFL. Unless they want Beluga at guard this year and let aspriggs fight it out with a rookie.

CB, EDGE, ILB.
    I'd bet Guard before ILB. We've already spent 2 consecutive 4ths on ILB. With the loss of Lang, I could see Ted going G earlier than normal IF his tier level guys aren't around. There's plenty of CB and Edge talent that its prolly a moot point.

CB, EDGE, ILB.
    Depending upon how the draft falls if Lamp is the highest player on his board and is still there don't be surprised if he takes him. I know everyone will piss and moan but there was some consternation about Ted's first pick in 2005 too. I'm not saying Lamp will be the GOAT - just that Ted usually trusts his board.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Depending upon how the draft falls if Lamp is the highest player on his board and is still there don't be surprised if he takes him. I know everyone will piss and moan but there was some consternation about Ted's first pick in 2005 too. I'm not saying Lamp will be the GOAT - just that Ted usually trusts his board.
    so you read that same article i did where they talk about the options for replacing lang and the only option they said really works is to draft lamp?

kind of a dumb article imo

for me, theres a reason we drafted spriggs in the second last year, and it wasn't to sit on the bench, they're gonna start him at guard or Rt this year, unless he completely sucks

I'd like to see a WR drafted if value is there.
    I am better looking than you.

Bretsky's pretty much got it figured out early on: cornerbacks and OLB's. Then a running back, a wide receiver with speed, some fifth-round tackle who will someday play guard, an inside linebacker who has never played inside linebacker, in the sixth, and a nose tackle or d-tackle in the seventh round. We finally got the hang of Ted after all these years.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by arcilite View Post
    I'd like to see a WR drafted if value is there.
    Agreed, though best Ted bet might be second round. Not much is certain after Nelson and Adams. Nelson has been getting banged up and older, Adams has been hit with both injuries and some inconsistency. Cobb is best as the #2/3 option. After them its youngsters and special teamers.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If at all possible, we need a difference maker in the first round - somebody who is star-quality. You could argue we haven't had anything like that since Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews, and maybe Jordy, although it's hard to say how good he would be without Rodgers.

I don't think we need another unproven/unfinished product at Corner. We have quantity now, just not top quality. Same thing at OLB. It's probably not smart to use a #1 on a ILB. What else is there? Pretty much everywhere, we have quantity of decent but not outstanding players. I've never advocated trading up, but if it got us a near sure thing, it might be smart.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    His first round picks may not always pan out, but one thing about TT is that he will never panic to reach for a need-based player, but will consistently try to get the BAP, or at least look at the value of the pick and who is there to be picked. Late last season, of course the most talked about deficiency was the DB's, however, I think a close second would have to be the pass rush. They were just not getting home like they should have been, either due to injury (Clay's shoulder, Nick the one arm bandit, Elliot), age (Peppers), ability (Jones was mis-cast as an OLB), experience (Fackrell).

If you can't generate a consistent pass rush and move the opposing QB's feet, you could have really good corners who eventually get beat, or lousy ones that get torched. It won't matter.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Does someone have access to PFF's pass rush grades or team numbers?

Because while I have not seen it in one place, the sense I get from reading the end of season critiques is that the Packers pass rush was pretty good last year. So I don't think pass rush was anywhere close to the same priority as the DBs.

I have worried about the pass rush before. And Matthews was getting nowhere last season. But Perry, Daniels, Peppers and Jones had good years. Free agency losses have exacerbated this with losing Peppers and Jones, but you get Clark probably starting in obvious pass situations, plus a return to health for Matthews and one of Fuckdoggle or Holy Fackrell coming through.

That is a lot of moving parts and Matthews isn't getting younger. But the story of an anemic pass rush from last year that I see pretty often is overblown I believe.

To get the numbers ball rolling, the Packers Adjusted sack rate last year was 6th in the League at 7.2% (includes sacks and intentional groundings) from Football Outsiders. Doesn't measure pressures or hits though.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    so you read that same article i did where they talk about the options for replacing lang and the only option they said really works is to draft lamp?

kind of a dumb article imo

for me, theres a reason we drafted spriggs in the second last year, and it wasn't to sit on the bench, they're gonna start him at guard or Rt this year, unless he completely sucks
    Spriggs is no guard. I think he was drafted because Bulaga is no spring chicken and last season was the first time Bryan missed only a handful of snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Spriggs is no guard. I think he was drafted because Bulaga is no spring chicken and last season was the first time Bryan missed only a handful of snaps.
    I think Demovsky just put out an article that concurs with your thought process Pugger. Said MM told him Spriggs is the possible future LT of this team and doesn't want to take him away from him learning the tackle position. Went on to agree with other s in the forum that Murphy, Patrick, or Barclay could be the fill in, or a draft pick.