Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Official OTA's/Minicamp Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rutnstrut View Post
    Good point Patler. Special teams are under appreciated until they screw up. Janis is not only willing to play ST's, he's pretty damn good at it. He's worth keeping just for that. Besides they are going to want an experienced WR around when the fraud starts dropping passes the first part of the season.
    And we are very good at noticing ST fuck-ups around here. However much experience Janis has, he makes too many mistakes in route running. Other than two hail Mary's on one drive of one game, Janis hasn't done anything to justify keeping him on offense. He is very much the offense's version of Jarrett Bush. With all the receivers, Janis will be hard pressed to make the roster.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    And we are very good at noticing ST fuck-ups around here. However much experience Janis has, he makes too many mistakes in route running. Other than two hail Mary's on one drive of one game, Janis hasn't done anything to justify keeping him on offense. He is very much the offense's version of Jarrett Bush. With all the receivers, Janis will be hard pressed to make the roster.
    We always thought Bush would be hard pressed to make the roster, too; but he hung around for something like 9 years. Janis won't push anyone for playing time on offense, but I have a feeling that, like Bush for so many years, his spot on the 53 man roster might not be as tenuous as for some above him on the WR depth chart.

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    What's with the groin surgeries? Is the groin the new hammy?
    Rollins and Randall work out together in the offseason. I wonder if the Packers training staff might look at what their training regimen consists of. (Unintended joke opportunity here).

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Rollins and Randall work out together in the offseason. I wonder if the Packers training staff might look at what their training regimen consists of. (Unintended joke opportunity here).
    Maybe. But Randall (and I think Rollins) got hurt during games, not in the offseason. Bet its the more proximate cause.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Maybe. But Randall (and I think Rollins) got hurt during games, not in the offseason. Bet its the more proximate cause.
    Not sure what you meant by proximate cause. What I was suggesting is that perhaps their workout regimen doesn't focus enough on maintaining flexibility.

Not sure what you meant by proximate cause. What I was suggesting is that perhaps their workout regimen doesn't focus enough on maintaining flexibility.
    And I am saying since they did not get hurt in OTAs, minicamps, training camp or preseason games (that we know of, they could have tweaked it almost any time), I would bet the cause was game action.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...ctice-of-otas/

Similar to the first open practice last week, the Packers threw the ball a lot during Thursday’s session. By design.

McCarthy said back in January that his team would work on pass defense a lot this offseason.

“We’ve made that decision already,” McCarthy said. “We may not run the ball until July. That’s what this time of year is for.”

So far, he’s kept his word. In the no-huddle and offense versus defense portion, there was about three running plays with each group. Even in group drills, the running backs worked mainly on the passing game, running wheel routes up the sideline and check down passes in the middle.
    So far in the two open practices, Hundley has shown flashes – including a deep pass to Trevor Davis that beat the defense last week. During Thursday’s practice, Hundley hit tight end Lance Kendricks for a touchdown, but that was followed by an interception on the next play.

In the competition for the No. 3 quarterback job, Joe Callahan appeared to be the early leader. He took more reps than undrafted free agent Taysom Hill. In the no-huddle portion, Hill did not see any snaps, while Callahan did. Both Callahan and Hill rotated with each other in an early passing drill with the running backs that head coach Mike McCarthy monitored very closely.
    A forgotten player this offseason, Max McCaffrey might be a dark horse in the wide receiver group to push for a 53-man roster spot. McCaffrey made two catches on deep passes in a passing drill with the receivers and defensive backs. In the offense versus defense portion, McCaffrey was included with the second team offense with Jeff Janis and Trevor Davis over 2017 draft picks DeAngelo Yancey and Malachi Dupre. During the start of practice, McCaffrey was also returning kicks, which could be another way for him to make a case for a roster spot this offseason.
    Cornerback Damarious Randall once again lined up in the slot with the starting defense, while Davon House and LaDarius Gunter were on the outside. Quinten Rollins also made a nice pass breakup in the end zone on a Hundley pass to Martellus Bennett.
    There was a fight in practice between offensive tackle Jason Spriggs and rookie outside linebacker Johnathan Calvin that included punches. The scuffle was eventually broken up and the practice moved on without a hitch.
    How do 2 guys get mad enough in an unpadded practice to have a fight?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Tex, I'm on the bandwagon that Gunter can start in this league. He is pretty much a lock to make the roster.

HOWEVER...lets be clear. No one on that entire defense shut down just about everybody this side of Julio Jones. Controlled, contained. Didn't piss all over his shoes, yes. Shutdown? No.
    Joe Whitt is in Gunter's corner. http://www.packers.com/media-center/...7-1e6a11a85512 Comments about Gunter start at about 5:15.

Hundley has shown flashes – including a deep pass to Trevor Davis that beat the defense last week.
    please tell me that wasn't against the projected #1's.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    please tell me that wasn't against the projected #1's.
    Keep in mind nobody is trying to sack the QB. Offense should have the upper hand.

Davon House and LaDarius Gunter were on the outside.
    Gunter on the outside? Am I missing something here? I thought he was slow, damn slow. What happens when the damn WR runs a 9 or a 7?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Keep in mind nobody is trying to sack the QB. Offense should have the upper hand.
    i get that. it's that i hope davis didn't beat a #1 cb when the d pretty much knows what's coming.

if he beat an undrafted guy so be it.

Players with 5 years experience will again be excused from minicamp.

By that measure, there will be 16 players who won’t participate in this week’s practices. They are: quarterback Aaron Rodgers, receivers Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb, tight ends Martellus Bennett and Lance Kendricks plus offensive linemen Don Barclay, Bryan Bulaga and Jahri Evans on offense; safety Morgan Burnett, cornerback Davon House defensive linemen Mike Daniels, Ricky Jean Francois and Letroy Guion plus linebackers Nick Perry and Clay Matthews on defense; and kicker Mason Crosby.

I get it, but I would like to see Evans, House and Francois all get the reps.

Plus Barclay cannot afford to stand still.

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 1h1 hour ago
    McCarthy: Damarious Randall has had an outstanding off-season. Has been playing a lot of the "star" (slot) position.

McCarthy on DuPree: Definitely an accomplished WR in college. Probably has picked it up faster than any of the young perimeter players.

McCarthy on Josh Jones: Being taught in a progression, just like any player. We're not throwing him out there to see what sticks.

McCarthy on young players: Always made two laps on the installs. We've accomplished that. I've felt really good coming off the field.

McCarthy on intern Brandon Jackson: Looks like he could still play. Pat McKenzie wanted to give him a physical. Thought he was a player.

HE IS DOING PASS PRO COACHING WITH MONTY

McCarthy: Like the way Ty (Montgomery) has handled his off-season. Everybody else is following. All doing a really good job.

New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Photos: Packers Minicamp Day 1 http://ift.tt/2rrEbQI #Packers

More on Jones: He's made a lot of plays in space. He's not lining up at just one safety spot.

McCarthy on Fackrell weight gains: He can play, No. 1. He's bigger and stronger. Clearly feel he's making that jump. Has to keep weight on.

MM on Dean Lowry: He's active, instinctive. Very smart. He's had a great off-season, too.

MM on Hundley: Had three plays yesterday exactly what looking for. On one pass rush was coming and he threw a bullet over the middle.

OTA's: May 22-23, May 31, June 1-2, June 5-8

Minicamp: June 13-15

Last year hoping to learn Lacy had lost weight. This year hoping to learn Spriggs and Fackrell have gained weight.
    According to McCarren, Spriggs has put on 20 pounds and Fackrell 10.

According to McCarren, Spriggs has put on 20 pounds and Fackrell 10.
    And they are trying Murphy at Guard. He isn't going to start ahead of Evans unless something drastic happens, but it'll be interesting to see if he can do it.

Anyone have a subscription?

Packer Report‏ @PackerReport
    For our members: Randall looks like a star: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/sto...ks-like-a-star
    New dynamic at minicamp:

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus

For our members: Randall looks like a star: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/sto...ks-like-a-star
    New dynamic at minicamp:
    My subscription ran out in 1987
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

New dynamic at minicamp:
    Lazybones

http://rincon-sports.com/2017/06/14/...s-like-a-star/