Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Romo to CBS

Romo to CBS

Jumped straight to the #1 broadcasting team, supplanting Phil Simms.

He must've had one heck of an interview. Because TV broadcasting isn't easy. Here's hoping he takes his football acumen and applies it in ways that no one else has done recently. I want to see some constructive criticism so I can continue learning about the game.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

But NFL qbs are suppose to all play into their 40s these day

They just don't call in quits at 36 for no reason

Glad to see this. Guy was going to end his career carried off the field on a stretcher the way he was going.

Shouldn't be too difficult to be an upgrade of Phil Simms.

Kickass Rat All-Pro CaptainKickass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    Here's hoping he takes his football acumen and applies it in ways that no one else has done recently. I want to see some constructive criticism so I can continue learning about the game.
    This is an unrealistic expectation.

At best he will read the same teleprompter or scripts as his predecessor and recite the same "talking points" as determined by CBS sports and the NFL. There will be nothing new that Romo brings to NFL broadcasting except for being less ugly and more tolerable to listen to than his predecessor.

"Everyone's born anarchist and atheist until people start lying to them" ~ wise philosopher

I think this might all be baloney, he could be Favre'ing it. Important part will be whether Cowboys put him on reserver/retired list or waive him. Its a better cap deal for them to waive him.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 14m14 minutes ago
    Tony Romo says he doesn’t “envision” coming back. Then says “it’s about 99 percent” he’s done. And adds “never say never.” So… yeah.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    But NFL qbs are suppose to all play into their 40s these day

They just don't call in quits at 36 for no reason
    He's actually been pretty fragile.

If he needs training wheels like Aikman did, they just will put a 3rd person in the booth. Aikman had both Collingsworth and Moose Johnston.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

meh

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post

Shouldn't be too difficult to be an upgrade of Phil Simms.
    No doubt.

But will he make it through the season without an injury from a falling microphone or a swivel chair incident.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Jerry let him keep the remaining signing bonus of $5M by cutting him and not putting him on the reserve/retired list.

I'm sure this was part of the deal to keep him from signing with another team (although he still could if he wants to).

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcheez1 View Post
    Jerry let him keep the remaining signing bonus of $5M by cutting him and not putting him on the reserve/retired list.

I'm sure this was part of the deal to keep him from signing with another team (although he still could if he wants to).
    I don't know if this is the entire story. Being on the retired/reserve list is better for the Cowboys cap. If he retired before he physically couldn't continue, then he would be subject possibly to recovery of the bonus.

If he pursued a trade or reported to camp, he keeps the money no question.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    At first I thought this was a ploy by Tony to get out from underneath Jerry's thumb. There was a really strange friendship between the Jones family and the Romo family. Jerry always seems to get attached to his players, but with Romo it went further than that. When reports leaked a couple weeks ago about Rooms release, Tony put out those videos saying goodbye to the fans. Then nothing happened, and on Monday Jerry again made a public statement about teams looking to trade for Romo. I think this really pissed Romo off and made him seriously look at the plush job at CBS. Lots of positives for taking the booth job. Barring an early Dak injury, I think Romo is finished.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Should be illegal having two Dallas QBs as announcers...
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Blog Entries
    Man, that is a tough spot to toss a green guy like Romo into.

They roll some teleprompter stuff for you, but you have to think on your feet with two people yelling at you in your earpiece. I wish the boy luck, well, not really. Even if he sucks, he'll be better than Aikman.

well we all know he's been a big hit. his play-call predictions have been lauded by most everyone except musburger and collinsworth.

watched the replay of the game a while ago. on the game winning td to Adams troy tried to do a romo and guess, from the formation, where Rodgers was going. it didn't work out for him. lol

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    I stick by my statement, so fire Aikman
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Tony is a Pack fan.

Blog Entries
    Per my previous post, he doesn't suck and he is light years ahead of Aikman.

A big thing about Tony R is the fact that he's a Wisconsin boy. There is something in the water that makes Wisco people very football knowledgeable and able to discuss the game in a pleasant, enjoyable manner. Well, not Red, but you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    well we all know he's been a big hit. his play-call predictions have been lauded by most everyone except musburger and collinsworth.

watched the replay of the game a while ago. on the game winning td to Adams troy tried to do a romo and guess, from the formation, where Rodgers was going. it didn't work out for him. lol
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/917418283384446976

To be fair to Troy, that was the area that was vulnerable. But there was no stopping that pass and that WR on the TD.