Thread: "DRAFT UNLIKELY TO PROVIDE HELP THE PACKERS NEED"........GUESS THE WRITER ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This take is wrong. It was wrong when we discussed it in the other thread, and its wrong in its own thread. You want proof?

Every Packer beat writer is making it. This is the 2017 version of some veteran must be released due to high cap numbers despite there being no cap concerns.

The Packers did not have Eddie Lacy or Sam Shields for Run The Table or the playoffs yet still got to the Championship. One was replaced completely by Monty. The other was replaced by a gaping hole.

But House has already stepped into the gaping hole and will make the backend better. Ted will draft someone because 2016 scared him about all 3 of the young guys and talented depth is a must.

Edge rusher is a concern, mainly because of the injury history of the two starters. but between Fackrell and Elliot, someone will step up and Ted will draft someone here. But its not a gaping hole, its a depth and future talent problem.

Jones IS NOT AN ISSUE, because the one spot he provided some production from was interior rush. Otherwise he was mediocre depth at OLB. And his interior rush snaps will go to Clark, a better player.

Like McGinn who cannot remember all the successful Packer Decembers without a big running back, everyone has forgotten that Guard is the RB of the offensive line. Lang's replacement is on the roster. Only if a talent like Sitton is drafted in Round 4 will there be a rookie there.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    House has already stepped into the gaping hole and will make the backend better. Ted will draft someone because 2016 scared him about all 3 of the young guys and talented depth is a must.
    house will fight it out with the others for one starting spot. we need to draft a real starter at the other cb spot.
    Last edited by gbgary; 04-11-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    house takes hyde's place. we need a real starter at cb.
    House is outside at one CB spot. Gunter or Randall will be at the other currently. Rollins/Randall will be in the slot.

Plus the even younger guys in the mix: Dorleant, Goodson, Hawkins, Waters and draft pick.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

i was editing as you were posting. sorry.

But House has already stepped into the gaping hole and will make the backend better. Ted will draft someone because 2016 scared him about all 3 of the young guys and talented depth is a must.
    Pb, I respect your opinion on all things football, but I gotta ask. What is it about House that gives you any confidence at all? I see a guy who played one good game because the refs decided holding a WR was a good idea because it would benefit the 49ers D more than the Packers D. Other than that game I have not very fond memories of House. Add to that he was benched by....THE JAGUARS!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Pb, I respect your opinion on all things football, but I gotta ask. What is it about House that gives you any confidence at all? I see a guy who played one good game because the refs decided holding a WR was a good idea because it would benefit the 49ers D more than the Packers D. Other than that game I have not very fond memories of House. Add to that he was benched by....THE JAGUARS!
    Don't look too much into the fact that House was benched by the Jags. First of all, it's not like they got better after he was benched. Second, maybe consider the possibility that the Jags are the Jags because they make bad personnel decisions. Paying House 6 mil per was one. Maybe benching him was another.

I remember House a little more favorably than you do. He had some good moments against big physical receivers. He's not the savior of the secondary, but he can play a positive role.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Don't look too much into the fact that House was benched by the Jags. First of all, it's not like they got better after he was benched. Second, maybe consider the possibility that the Jags are the Jags because they make bad personnel decisions. Paying House 6 mil per was one. Maybe benching him was another.

I remember House a little more favorably than you do. He had some good moments against big physical receivers. He's not the savior of the secondary, but he can play a positive role.
    Didn't the Jags change their defensive scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He is serviceable. If he was suddenly present on the Packers roster at the end of last year he is starting opposite Gunter. So consider him tire fire insurance at one level.

Second as Pugger and Joe have said, he was benched for looking at the QB and getting beat behind him in a zone. I would rather have my CBs NOT do that, but he will get to play man to man again with the Packers.

He plays outside CB, where the Packers have a true gaping hole.

I don't consider him a long term solution. Just a bridge. My view of how he will perform varies between good enough and kinda poor. The reason I can't decide my faded memory of the Atlanta night game at Lambeau a couple of years ago. Either he or Shields started versus Julio and held him in check for more than a half. Then they got hurt and the backup came in. If the backup was House, he got roasted then (big Atlanta comeback fell short) and will likely be roasted against top competition again. If House got hurt and was the one who helped bottle Jones up, he might still have some upside.

He is serviceable. If he was suddenly present on the Packers roster at the end of last year he is starting opposite Gunter. So consider him tire fire insurance at one level.

Second as Pugger and Joe have said, he was benched for looking at the QB and getting beat behind him in a zone. I would rather have my CBs NOT do that, but he will get to play man to man again with the Packers.

He plays outside CB, where the Packers have a true gaping hole.

I don't consider him a long term solution. Just a bridge. My view of how he will perform varies between good enough and kinda poor. The reason I can't decide my faded memory of the Atlanta night game at Lambeau a couple of years ago. Either he or Shields started versus Julio and held him in check for more than a half. Then they got hurt and the backup came in. If the backup was House, he got roasted then (big Atlanta comeback fell short) and will likely be roasted against top competition again. If House got hurt and was the one who helped bottle Jones up, he might still have some upside.
    House was the guy who came in and had some success against Jones.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...e-f690f30a793b

Practically every member of the Packers secondary took a turn against Jones, with little to no success. Cornerback Sam Shields didn’t practice all week due to his recovery from a concussion, and he wasn’t sharp. He eventually gave way in the fourth quarter to House, who held his own against Jones better than any of his teammates. House broke up one deep ball to Jones and then nearly intercepted a pass to him in the end zone.
    I remember reading the next day that House went to the coaching staff and begged them to put him on Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    House was the guy who came in and had some success against Jones.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...e-f690f30a793b

I remember reading the next day that House went to the coaching staff and begged them to put him on Jones.
    Cool. I just remember the comeback and assumed it was Jones led. I obviously had the details wrong but House having some success was the other takeaway I remembered.