Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "DRAFT UNLIKELY TO PROVIDE HELP THE PACKERS NEED"........GUESS THE WRITER ??

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Last year was an odd year. Although the total number of injuries wasn't severe, The Packers were hit at certain positions very hard. They played several games minus their top 3 CB's (Shields, Randall, Rollins). Clay got moved inside when their 2 starting ILB's were hurt at the same time. Montgomery became the starting RB because Lacy, Starks and Don Jackson were all hurt at the same time. No team has the depth to deal with those types of situations. I think it was bad luck that won't likely be repeated. If they can keep the total injuries at a reasonable level, I think they'll fare better in 2017.
    The Packers team as a whole was injured at an average rate. But the defense bore the brunt of it, especially the DBs and OLBs.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post

But House has already stepped into the gaping hole and will make the backend better. Ted will draft someone because 2016 scared him about all 3 of the young guys and talented depth is a must.
    Pb, I respect your opinion on all things football, but I gotta ask. What is it about House that gives you any confidence at all? I see a guy who played one good game because the refs decided holding a WR was a good idea because it would benefit the 49ers D more than the Packers D. Other than that game I have not very fond memories of House. Add to that he was benched by....THE JAGUARS!
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Pb, I respect your opinion on all things football, but I gotta ask. What is it about House that gives you any confidence at all? I see a guy who played one good game because the refs decided holding a WR was a good idea because it would benefit the 49ers D more than the Packers D. Other than that game I have not very fond memories of House. Add to that he was benched by....THE JAGUARS!
    Don't look too much into the fact that House was benched by the Jags. First of all, it's not like they got better after he was benched. Second, maybe consider the possibility that the Jags are the Jags because they make bad personnel decisions. Paying House 6 mil per was one. Maybe benching him was another.

I remember House a little more favorably than you do. He had some good moments against big physical receivers. He's not the savior of the secondary, but he can play a positive role.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    We've gone 11 posts on this page, not to mention that article, many of them discussing edge rushers, and not one mention of Clay Matthews. He still is the best we've got when healthy, better than Perry, better than the two we lost, better than the two young replacements. I say that to point out that we don't really have a gaping hole at edge rusher. Of course it also demonstrates the fact that it's been a long time since we picked up a real difference maker - at all on defense, at all on the team.
    When healthy, yes, CM3 is our best edge rusher. That is the rub, tho. Clay has had issues staying healthy the past couple of seasons. I fully expect Ted to draft an EDGE guy because you can't have enough of those.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    as PB pointed out in another thread somewhere on here, we had average health last year

and probably the year before that and the year before that. its time to stop using the injury excuse every year, it happens to everyone every year. sometimes you just have to cover your ass better then "undrafted rookie #1-10" for depth
    Numbers wise we had average health last year. However, when a position gets hammered like CB did last year that will really screw your pass defense when you can't rush the passer and teams throw against you at will.

Don't look too much into the fact that House was benched by the Jags. First of all, it's not like they got better after he was benched. Second, maybe consider the possibility that the Jags are the Jags because they make bad personnel decisions. Paying House 6 mil per was one. Maybe benching him was another.

I remember House a little more favorably than you do. He had some good moments against big physical receivers. He's not the savior of the secondary, but he can play a positive role.
    Didn't the Jags change their defensive scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    He is serviceable. If he was suddenly present on the Packers roster at the end of last year he is starting opposite Gunter. So consider him tire fire insurance at one level.

Second as Pugger and Joe have said, he was benched for looking at the QB and getting beat behind him in a zone. I would rather have my CBs NOT do that, but he will get to play man to man again with the Packers.

He plays outside CB, where the Packers have a true gaping hole.

I don't consider him a long term solution. Just a bridge. My view of how he will perform varies between good enough and kinda poor. The reason I can't decide my faded memory of the Atlanta night game at Lambeau a couple of years ago. Either he or Shields started versus Julio and held him in check for more than a half. Then they got hurt and the backup came in. If the backup was House, he got roasted then (big Atlanta comeback fell short) and will likely be roasted against top competition again. If House got hurt and was the one who helped bottle Jones up, he might still have some upside.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I fully expect Ted to draft an EDGE guy because you can't have enough of those.
    Seriously, never ever ever can you have too many pass rushers now. If you can hit the QB on 35-40% of his dropbacks, you're going to win a lot of football games.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He is serviceable. If he was suddenly present on the Packers roster at the end of last year he is starting opposite Gunter. So consider him tire fire insurance at one level.

Second as Pugger and Joe have said, he was benched for looking at the QB and getting beat behind him in a zone. I would rather have my CBs NOT do that, but he will get to play man to man again with the Packers.

He plays outside CB, where the Packers have a true gaping hole.

I don't consider him a long term solution. Just a bridge. My view of how he will perform varies between good enough and kinda poor. The reason I can't decide my faded memory of the Atlanta night game at Lambeau a couple of years ago. Either he or Shields started versus Julio and held him in check for more than a half. Then they got hurt and the backup came in. If the backup was House, he got roasted then (big Atlanta comeback fell short) and will likely be roasted against top competition again. If House got hurt and was the one who helped bottle Jones up, he might still have some upside.
    House was the guy who came in and had some success against Jones.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...e-f690f30a793b

Practically every member of the Packers secondary took a turn against Jones, with little to no success. Cornerback Sam Shields didn’t practice all week due to his recovery from a concussion, and he wasn’t sharp. He eventually gave way in the fourth quarter to House, who held his own against Jones better than any of his teammates. House broke up one deep ball to Jones and then nearly intercepted a pass to him in the end zone.
    I remember reading the next day that House went to the coaching staff and begged them to put him on Jones.

Since this draft has plenty of corners, I would like to see Ted go after some pass rush - an OLB. Is JJ Watt a guy with superstar potential? I don't know much about the college kids.

He can try his luck again at corner in round two, I would say. Then go after a running back in round three to team with Montgomery. Then get a guard.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

House was the guy who came in and had some success against Jones.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-even...e-f690f30a793b

I remember reading the next day that House went to the coaching staff and begged them to put him on Jones.
    Cool. I just remember the comeback and assumed it was Jones led. I obviously had the details wrong but House having some success was the other takeaway I remembered.

You know, somebody on another thread had a great idea, complete with reasoning:

Ted drafts wide receivers like nobody's business. He hardly ever misses.

Ted can't draft defensive linemen to save his ass, except for Mike Daniels, the one diamond in a pile of what has been otherwise mostly poo.

Ted can find UDFA corners, but can't seem to draft them well higher up in the draft.

THEREFORE

Draft nothing but wide recievers early, then get your guard and running back and whatnot later.

Then trade Cobb (if you can) and some surplus wide recievers (does it matter which ones? Maybe. But trade some) to other teams, for their OLB's, an ILB, maybe a corner and a defensive lineman.

Problem solved.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    Since this draft has plenty of corners, I would like to see Ted go after some pass rush - an OLB. Is JJ Watt a guy with superstar potential? I don't know much about the college kids.

He can try his luck again at corner in round two, I would say. Then go after a running back in round three to team with Montgomery. Then get a guard.
    I've seen some mock draft boards that have Watt falling to the Packers in Round 2, which would allow TT to draft a starter-quality CB in Round 1.

One way or the other TT will have the opportunity to pick a pass rusher and a CB in Rounds 1 & 2. It all depends on who in particular the Packer powers that be like most or consider the best fit for them. How everything will shake out on draft day is unpredictable no matter what the "experts" say.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

How true that is. And then we'll act like we know how they're all going to pan out.

It's like getting married. You think you know what you're doing and who you're getting, but you really don't know shit.

KYPack

Blog Entries

Ted Hates Badgers
    With that being said TJ is going to be a very solid pro LB and is worthy of our #1 pick.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Bretsky, I'm going to whine a little bit here, then agree with something else you've said before.

So, the whining: I am tired of the Packers having "very solid pro" kind of guys, like Micah Hyde (I am actually glad he's gone) or Mike Neal or Letroy Guion or Jake Ryan or fill-in-the-blank. Even Clay Matthews is slumping into a "very solid pro." Would anyone call him a great player any more?

This team needs a star, needs a difference-maker. Can JJ Watt be that guy, do you think?

Okay, moving on - you've said before that TT can't seem to transform his defenses into top-ten powerhouses that can win you a SB. And there was a good article in the JSO on just that - how TT has used lots of draft resources (and he's even signed guys here and there, like Peppers) but he misses and misses and misses on them. Don't get me wrong, some of them can play - but they tend to be either just-okay guys or maybe that "solid pro" who is above average. But man, we all know that a defense needs playmakers, and Ted cannot seem to find those guys very well. Sure, it's hard for anyone to do, but some teams seem to build better defenses than Ted does without investing so many high-round draft picks, or if they do, those picks pay off.

I'm tired of watching our defenses get torn up, other teams going up and down the field freely. The stout defensive performances (the Seattle NFC championship game) are the exceptions, and they are few and far between. There are many, many more memories of teams abusing a helpless Green Bay defense - the Falcons and Cowboys this season, back to Colin Kaepernick and company doing anything they wanted. Good God, the Packer defense just can never seem to get off the field, and I am sick of that.

KYPack

Fritz, you want a playmaker? A difference-maker? You want TT to draft this guy:

Adoree' Jackson http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...son?id=2558065

To get him you'd probably have to trade up and/or spend your first round pick on him. And he'd plug a real need in our secondary... ...Maybe. Nothing is a sure bet.

There isn't one guy in the draft whose scouting profile is all strengths and no weaknesses.

Adoree' Jackson is also only 5'10" which would violate another TT rule for CB draftees. Plus, many scouts consider him a boom-bust guy. On the other hand, many more consider him another Devin Hester, but a Devin Hester who can play CB.

Did I mention he can also play on offense?

If you're TT, do you pull the trigger on him?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

I want Troy Vincent, not Terrell Buckley.

KYPack

I want Troy Vincent, not Terrell Buckley.
    But Troy Vincent was just a "solid pro" not a super star. (I'm just playing devil's advocate, you understand. )

How many difference makers does a team get a decade when you are good? Who was the last Patriots Hall of Famer on defense? Vince Wilfork?

Nick Collins was that pick and if Ted gets one more during his tenure (and it might have been Matthews) he's batting better than average. Woodson was the defensive POY once wasn't he?