Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
yet thousands of people show up for college games every week and high school games

and thousands show up up AA and AAA baseball games, but no one will show up for football ?

and it wouldn't be that big of a money pit, you wouldn't be paying these guys a half million dollars, you'd be paying them 1 or 2 thousand a week (for maybe 16 weeks) for maybe 40 guys. i bet with traveling and renting out local high school stadiums you could have a team for less then 1 or 2 million a year

and you really don't think people will show up? people are showing up by the hundreds to see 2 or 3 packers scrubs show up and schools, just because they're accosiated with the packers

every other sport in the world has figured out how to do developmental leagues, but the nfl

and if college is worried about losing players, maybe they should start paying for them. its almost like saying, "oh we could free the slaves", but the cotton industry would really suffer and the plantation owners would lose a ton of money"
High school and College are the NFLs D Leagues already. The NFL doesn't have to pay a dime to have their players already get developed. So again, why fix something that's not broke?

People coming to a meet and greet for a known Packer name does not equate to the tens of thousands that would be needed each game for each week to make some awful D-League team full of absolute nobodies to just break even on salaries. There's no way there's enough interest and money from the fans to make it financially worthwhile, and that's what matters to the league, the money.

Look at how fans even hate having to pay for and watch pre-season. The casual fan hates those games. They are full of scrubs anyways. You think a league full of the worst of them is remotely financially viable? Dream on.

I think you're way off on your estimate of cost for the team. Travel, hotel, and food costs are massive, NFL teams travel with anywhere from 120-160 total people. I'd think these guys could likely get by with 85-95. But your total budget won't even cover these items.

I just think the NFL is already on the down slide. Granted, it's from an unbelievable high point. But the ratings are dropping, the participation in youth is dropping, the game is changing to where people think it's too wussified and are losing interest. it's just too late in the game to start up a D league. Not when there's already an extremely comparable thing already in existence that's free.