Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "PACKERS in PRIME POSITION TO TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT

Blog Entries

"PACKERS in PRIME POSITION TO TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT

LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

i think this is something we've all believed every year that the great white penny pincher has been GM

and thats what sucks about drafting towards the end every year, you sit around for 2 or 3 hours waiting for our pick, only for us to trade out of the first. night wasted

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    i think this is something we've all believed every year that the great white penny pincher has been GM

and thats what sucks about drafting towards the end every year, you sit around for 2 or 3 hours waiting for our pick, only for us to trade out of the first. night wasted
    red, get your glasses un-fogged. This is the weekly entry in "things that won't happen but make for a great headline because fans believe it happens all the time" from JSO.

To wit, the article self-refutes the headline in its first paragraph:

GREEN BAY - Just once in Ted Thompson’s 12 drafts for the Green Bay Packers has the general manager traded out of the first round.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

If TT doesn't have a 1st round grade on Watt though, I think it could happen. (see mymock draft)

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    If TT doesn't have a 1st round grade on Watt though, I think it could happen. (see mymock draft)
    If it does happen, its because this draft, while very, very deep, has very few first round locks. Its not because of the Packers needs or position.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    It's all perception, of course, but I see this draft as top heavy. Why wouldn't TT trade up? Go for quality instead of quantity. Get 4 or 5 first tier guys rather than 10 second tier.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    red, get your glasses un-fogged. This is the weekly entry in "things that won't happen but make for a great headline because fans believe it happens all the time" from JSO.

To wit, the article self-refutes the headline in its first paragraph:
    thats why i said it the way i did

every year we here that this could be a trade down year

PACKERS in PRIME POSITION TO TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT
    please no! if anything trade UP! get an impact starter. all-in!

I would love it if he does but don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    Nothing is guaranteed...we can take that 1st and turn it into a high 2nd and 3rd round and be able to pick up two quality cornerbacks in this draft.

I hate their videos btw, that guy looks horrible with a bald head...wear a hat!

GREEN BAY - Just once in Ted Thompson’s 12 drafts for the Green Bay Packers has the general manager traded out of the first round.
    And IIRC, that one time was the year they drafted Jordi. I'll accept that!
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    And IIRC, that one time was the year they drafted Jordi. I'll accept that!
    yup, thats the one

sat around all day waiting for that pick, and the guys i wanted were there for the taking

luckily, it wasn't like it is today where you have to wait a whole day for round 2

#5 A. J. Hawk
    #9 B.J. Raji
    #16 Justin Harrell

#24 Aaron Rodgers
    #21 HHCD
    #26 Clay Matthews

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Trading up can also mean getting some extra #2's and #3's for your #4, #5's, #6 and #7, right?
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    It's all perception, of course, but I see this draft as top heavy. Why wouldn't TT trade up? Go for quality instead of quantity. Get 4 or 5 first tier guys rather than 10 second tier.
    I keep reading that outside of QB, there are 4-6 players who are definite first rounders. The QBs are not considered quality first round material.

I could be wrong, I have seen no one score this.

Blog Entries
    I got a kick out of this part...........but the answer is probably .....YES........

“You have to have an answer to be a championship-caliber team,” the personnel man said. “They have to attack some areas. Or you can just bank on (Aaron) Rodgers pulling (expletive) out of his (expletive). At some point that’s going to fail, right?”
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

And if TT trades three picks, trades up, takes the "sure thing", and he flops, you'd be roasting TT on a spit.
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    And if TT trades three picks, trades up, takes the "sure thing", and he flops, you'd be roasting TT on a spit.
    no. he's had plenty of flops already. all the gm's have. he needs to take a shot. i'm not saying he's got to go all the way up into the top 10 but move up 10 to #19 to get someone who he thinks can make a difference...yes!

I think there's probably *interest* in trading down. The tiers of players above us (1st/2nd tier) are comprised of about 20ish players. The 3rd tier may be 20 players or so. We pick 29th. Therefore, we may be interested in moving back like 7-8 spots and still getting a tier 3 guy and picking up a later round pick as additional draft capital. Those are just my general feelings about the draft pool, though. I don't claim to understand what the Packer board looks like. And it also is dependent upon none of those higher tier guys falling to our spot at 29. If we have a tier 2 player there at a tier 3 pick, our asking price would probably be too steep if it's an area of primary or secondary need.