Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "PACKERS in PRIME POSITION TO TRADE DOWN IN DRAFT

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Hey, Smuggler, I like the way you think.

I've done mock drafts where Taco Charlton or Malik McDowell are still there at #29. If you're Ted, do you pick them?

And what if Dalvin Cook or Fornette slides to #29? Do you pick one of them?

I'm just curious. I think I'd take the defense guys but not the RB's, although I've watched Cook at Florida State for years and the guy is a weapon.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Cleveland has two second round picks, but I doubt they would throw a #33 and a #52 to move up 3 spots. If they really need one of the top available quarterbacks and want to jump Pittsburgh I could maybe see it happen. It is Cleveland after all.

Carolina has two first round picks and if Thompson was to get two second round picks for his first round pick Carolina would make the most sense. The 29th for the 40th and 64th.

Expect if Thompson was to trade back it would be second round pick and either a third or a team sending a 2nd and two 4th. Washington could swing a second and two fourths, and so could Indianapolis

I don't think this needs its own thread, but could Minnesota be interested in getting back into the end of the first round to take a QB, maybe by trading up from their spot in the middle of the second round, and giving up a third?

So how many posters who were moaning about how brilliant their Sam Bradford trade was last year still think so? That was the "all in" trade, no? Rolling the dice to go for the whole enchilada because they thought for sure they had the horses on defense, plus AP?

Time to pay the piper.

I wonder if Minny would rather have Sam Bradford coming back this year, with his injury history and shortcomings displayed last year, or the #14 overall pick they no longer own?
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

I think Minnesota should think about trading up to the first round, but it ain't gonna be with the Packers

There's (allegedly) plenty of CB's and RB's and decent OLB depth, so I'm in the camp that would be ok trading back 10 spots for an extra swing or two at the plate. He's found decent players at OL, for example, in the mid rounds.
    I don't think there's enough ammo to trade up high enough room #29 to get a difference maker and have much left. They have too many gaps to plug via draft IMO, and who would you take at #8 (for example) anyway?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    There's (allegedly) plenty of CB's and RB's and decent OLB depth, so I'm in the camp that would be ok trading back 10 spots for an extra swing or two at the plate. He's found decent players at OL, for example, in the mid rounds.
    I don't think there's enough ammo to trade up high enough room #29 to get a difference maker and have much left. They have too many gaps to plug via draft IMO, and who would you take at #8 (for example) anyway?
    The consensus best corner in the draft: Marshon Lattimore. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ore?id=2558061

Bottom Line Average-sized, one-year starter with explosive athleticism and a loaded tool box. He has the feet, hips and agility to be a lockdown cornerback and the ball skills to make teams pay for looking in his direction. His lack of experience could show up early, but he has the confidence and competitive nature that should help him overcome those issues. He has the ability to become a Pro Bowl cornerback early in his career.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

If Lattimore is that highly thought of, he probably will be long gone by the time we draft. Besides, as much as I love the Big Ten, I'm not that fired up about getting an Ohio State player. Teams with great team D tend to have their individual players seem better than they are. I kinda like Desmond King of Iowa - a guy who didn't have quite so much talent around him.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

King is moving to Safety. He could be nickel guy, but I wouldn't put more of a second round grade on him. He would be a plus addition to the Packers secondary. I think I had 1st round grades on 5 or 6 guys at cornerback after watching some film. That's why I would support a move down in the draft. The edge rushers and cornerback position is deep and so is the front end of the running back pool.

Corners 1st round possibilities
    Marshon Lattimore
    Gareon Conley
    Kevin King
    Chidobe Awuzie
    Adoree Jackson
    Tre'Davious White
    Marlon Humphrey

Quote Originally Posted by smuggler View Post
    I think there's probably *interest* in trading down. The tiers of players above us (1st/2nd tier) are comprised of about 20ish players. The 3rd tier may be 20 players or so. We pick 29th. Therefore, we may be interested in moving back like 7-8 spots and still getting a tier 3 guy and picking up a later round pick as additional draft capital. Those are just my general feelings about the draft pool, though. I don't claim to understand what the Packer board looks like. And it also is dependent upon none of those higher tier guys falling to our spot at 29. If we have a tier 2 player there at a tier 3 pick, our asking price would probably be too steep if it's an area of primary or secondary need.
    But...by your logic, if your board is 15% different than other GM's then you very well might land one of those 20 players sitting at 29.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I think Minnesota should think about trading up to the first round, but it ain't gonna be with the Packers
    ah...the famous oxymoron of doubling down on all in.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.