Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: THOMPSON AND BALL ARE TRYING TO SAVE MONEY FOR RAINY DAY FUND

THOMPSON AND BALL ARE TRYING TO SAVE MONEY FOR RAINY DAY FUND

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...ual/100747464/

We'll try this Bretsky style. Here is what McGinn said he learned this week:

The team’s remarkable financial health was one reason why it was remarkable to learn that one of the driving principles in football decisions made by Thompson and Ball is money. Not cap savings, either. Saving for that proverbial rainy day.

They’re concerned that the NFL’s revenue-sharing system regarding network television and other endeavors might one day end, perhaps in the not-too-distant future. And, I’m told, if they can do their fair share and save some money in the football operation by coming in under budget, then so much the better.
    Last financial report had the rainy day fund at $275 million.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports...ual/100747464/

We'll try this Bretsky style. Here is what McGinn said he learned this week:

Last financial report had the rainy day fund at $275 million.
    McGuinn is being a douche and stiring up shit. I didn't bother to check and see if it was the same article, but he also posted a tidbit about the Packers coaches being "incensed" TT let Lang walk in free agency.

PFT pointed out that despite McGuinn saying the Packers are 'cheap' that they actually rank 18th, pretty near the middle of the pack, in the amount of salary cap they carry forward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-j-lang-walk/
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Aside from starting QB, who is the last Packer player to get a third contract from the team? It's not a quiz, I really don't know. I wonder how many guards are with the same team that drafted them for their entire career (salary cap era)?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The source is Lang or Lang's agent. Possibly Sitton, someone who has an axe to grind. Probably also provide the back of the line info from last year about Bach being first before the older vets.

It would be interesting if the same source gave Bob the "McCarthy is fed up with draft and develop" last year, but that was before the contract difficulties with Sitton and Lang I believe.

The story of the contract for Lang is one long whine fest. Giving a physical after hip surgery is very reasonable, and I would be astonished if he didn't take a physical with Detroit and Seattle before their offers. Bob lists this as a major concession. When they got three very similar offers, the teams got another bite and the Lions upped the guarantee and the Packers didn't move.

Its their third contract and they don't play tackle. This is not a Sherlock Holmes mystery. Funny though, that as Bob lists the way that the Packers blew it and have bow fallen out of favor with future players (the most hypocritical agent speak possible), no mention is made of each of their second contracts. Especially the one given to Lang, who was not thought to be a sure thing, Pro Bowl level Guard at the time.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiness View Post
    McGuinn is being a douche and stiring up shit. I didn't bother to check and see if it was the same article, but he also posted a tidbit about the Packers coaches being "incensed" TT let Lang walk in free agency.

PFT pointed out that despite McGuinn saying the Packers are 'cheap' that they actually rank 18th, pretty near the middle of the pack, in the amount of salary cap they carry forward.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-j-lang-walk/
    Also unmentioned, the Packers rank 4th in cash spent during the last four years.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/805867703466676224

I wil give red and Bretsky this though. The packers have $22.5 million in room now and their cash spending this year is 24th in the League. I am not sure why this year is so different.

THIS year he is not spending per normal, unless there is some future known cost I am unaware of.

Blog Entries
    I wil give red and Bretsky this though. The packers have $22.5 million in room now and their cash spending this year is 24th in the League. I am not sure why this year is so different.

THIS year he is not spending per normal, unless there is some future known cost I am unaware of.

Our rainy day fund is so f'cking stacked if the NFL shut down GB could sefl fund games for free for a few years )

We're the best set up fart in the wind I know
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Also unmentioned, the Packers rank 4th in cash spent during the last four years.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/805867703466676224

Ted plans for the future; he keeps the team good. This year he lost his wallet sooner because he may be extending AROD Soon.
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Ted plans for the future; he keeps the team good. This year he lost his wallet sooner because he may be extending AROD Soon.
    I agree. They're also not going to want to let HHCD reach FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Yup it's always a bright move to rebuild the motor. Then throw bald, shitty tires on along with a slipping transmission and plastic bumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I agree. They're also not going to want to let HHCD reach FA.
    The charge that they are saving for the actual rainy day fund makes zero sense, as they have been spending a ton of cash. Until this year that is (of course, this year isn't done).

But Rodgers getting a new deal and a lot of upfront money might explain it.

Or a another stadium upgrade?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Or the development of the new ice rink hill and upgrade to the game day experience.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

I kinda of doubt those. We have a rumor likely from an agent. If Ted and Russ got matching orders to reduce cash spent on payroll, the numbers suggest it was just this year. And the rumor is specifically about how Ted and Russ like to come in under budget when possible.

None of it adds up. I don't trust Murphy to be a true steadying hand should the Packers ever encounter difficulty, but I get the sense that he and Ted mean it when they say the budget for players is whatever Ted needs it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Or a another stadium upgrade?
    I don't think we can use this money on the stadium. The cap can only be used for player salaries from what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    I don't think we can use this money on the stadium. The cap can only be used for player salaries from what I understand.
    Bob's point was that his source said the penny-pinching was not all related to the Cap effects. Its also total dollars spent.

In the case of Lang, that would mean unwillingness to guarantee more of his money. For guarantees, cap number doesn't have to change (even the dead cap money can be massaged by not fully guaranteeing each "guarantee"), but the amount of cash spent can stay higher than it would otherwise be in the event of injuries or waiver.

So what? It's a business, at the end of the day. They can do what they want, so can the fans.

Also, as sad as I am to see TJ go, Bob calling it (and Sitton's release) an "unpardonable sin" is 14 year old drama queen level stuff. You can't pay every starter on your roster top 8 money or you'll have crap for backups when you have to play them...and yes, giving a guard with lots of miles on the tires a pricey third contract is not smart business.

Quote Originally Posted by run pMc View Post
    So what? It's a business, at the end of the day. They can do what they want, so can the fans.

Also, as sad as I am to see TJ go, Bob calling it (and Sitton's release) an "unpardonable sin" is 14 year old drama queen level stuff. You can't pay every starter on your roster top 8 money or you'll have crap for backups when you have to play them...and yes, giving a guard with lots of miles on the tires a pricey third contract is not smart business.
    But every Packer who's any good needs to retire a Packer or it's a sin. Didn't you know that?

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    This is all part of the NFL's devious and secret plan to foster parity...except in Cleveland.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    This is all part of the NFL's devious and secret plan to foster parity...except in Cleveland.
    Don't you know, Maxie, Ted studied economics in Austria. I was always kinda partial to Mike Sherman or Jerry Jones - pushing the limits of the salary cap i.e. creative financing.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?