Thread: Sleepers and Under the Radar Prospects 2017 Edition

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Good article on MMQB about some long-shot prospects with interesting football journeys: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/14/n...-clemson-cody#

Alton Voss of Grand Valley State has a very interesting story of overcoming addiction. He's 28 and was recruited out of H.S. in FL as a QB back in 2007, but addiction changed his path, but he overcame it and ended up getting another chance at football. Check out his story.

At 6'3 and 240, he got his second chance and played LB at Grand Valley State. He was teammates with Matt Judon, who was drafted by the Ravens in 2016. He's 28 now, but with all the time away from football, if he was able to make an NFL roster, who knows?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Good article on MMQB about some long-shot prospects with interesting football journeys: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/14/n...-clemson-cody#

Alton Voss of Grand Valley State has a very interesting story of overcoming addiction. He's 28 and was recruited out of H.S. in FL as a QB back in 2007, but addiction changed his path, but he overcame it and ended up getting another chance at football. Check out his story.

At 6'3 and 240, he got his second chance and played LB at Grand Valley State. He was teammates with Matt Judon, who was drafted by the Ravens in 2016. He's 28 now, but with all the time away from football, if he was able to make an NFL roster, who knows?
    A Matt Judon mention...

A 5th round pick by Baltimore last year.

Judon was a popular sleeper pick here on Packerrats last year... I wanted him, and I know a few others did as well. Not surprisingly, TT spit on Judon, and not surprisingly Judon ended up showing more talent and upside than any of the defenders TT selected in last year's draft.
    wist

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    A Matt Judon mention...

A 5th round pick by Baltimore last year.

Judon was a popular sleeper pick here on Packerrats last year... I wanted him, and I know a few others did as well. Not surprisingly, TT spit on Judon, and not surprisingly Judon ended up showing more talent and upside than any of the defenders TT selected in last year's draft.
    Just out of curiosity, is there anyone from last year's draft you would have passed on in favor of Judon? Or, is there anyone that made the team out of camp in 2016 that you would have parted with in favor of Judon, assuming that he came in and did as well as he did for the Ravens?

Obviously, you have to have a roster spot for him. Perhaps they were confident that they had enough at LB, but I don't really know.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is there anyone from last year's draft you would have passed on in favor of Judon? Or, is there anyone that made the team out of camp in 2016 that you would have parted with in favor of Judon, assuming that he came in and did as well as he did for the Ravens?

Obviously, you have to have a roster spot for him. Perhaps they were confident that they had enough at LB, but I don't really know.
    Fackrell, Martinez, and Lowry... I would have picked Judon over all 3 of those guys.

I didn't like Fackrell at all - had him on my 'do not draft list'. I like Lowry, despite the short arm issue, but would have taken Judon over him.

The rub with the Packers is Capers - as always. Judon would not likely have played much, as dunderdummy is locked into playing a static 2-4 down-in and down-out. With Peppers gone now, Judon would be penciled in as the starter on the left side.

TT and the Packers have a long history of failure when it comes to trying to field a competent defense. They're just not very good at evaluated defensive talent.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Fackrell, Martinez, and Lowry... I would have picked Judon over all 3 of those guys.

I didn't like Fackrell at all - had him on my 'do not draft list'. I like Lowry, despite the short arm issue, but would have taken Judon over him.

The rub with the Packers is Capers - as always. Judon would not likely have played much, as dunderdummy is locked into playing a static 2-4 down-in and down-out. With Peppers gone now, Judon would be penciled in as the starter on the left side.

TT and the Packers have a long history of failure when it comes to trying to field a competent defense. They're just not very good at evaluated defensive talent.
    Right side? I hadn't heard they would be moving Perry