Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleepers and Under the Radar Prospects 2017 Edition

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar

Sleepers and Under the Radar Prospects 2017 Edition

Are there any sleeper or under the radar prospects who went to a school close to where you live that are worth a look?

If there is nobody local to your area, which player or players do you think will be the next to have a chance to make an impact?

Tarik Cohen is my favorite such player. He played for NC A&T in Greensboro, NC, just down the road from me. The odds are against a guy this size making it at the next level, but he's so much fun to watch, and you find me someone else who can do this:

Here is a nice video highlight of what he can do. Some call him Darren Sproles 2.0:

Last edited by Carolina_Packer; 04-23-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

6'5 from USC, almost world class high jumper, I saw a clip of him as a H.S. QB a few years ago, and his father was pretty good too:

Randall Cunningham II

I'd risk a 7th round pick on him, maybe even 6th.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    6'5 from USC, almost world class high jumper, I saw a clip of him as a H.S. QB a few years ago, and his father was pretty good too:

Randall Cunningham II

Found this online. That G looks familiar, but in this case, it's for Bishop Gorman H.S. in Las Vegas. Did he only do track at USC? Is he eligible for this year's draft?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Javancy Jones, LB, Jackson State (Would play him inside)

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Temple star Haason Reddick became of the big winners of the Senior Bowl after the long-time edge rusher proved that his agility and awareness translated to playing off the ball as a more traditional linebacker, as well. Savvy scouts noticed that Jones made a similar transition a week earlier at the East-West Shrine Game.
    Like Reddick, Jones' was featured as an edge rusher for the Tigers and he dominated the competition in the South West Athletic Conference. As a freshman in 2013, Jones was named SWAC Freshman of the Year and earned All-SWAC honors, registering 54 total tackles, including 14 tackles for a loss and five sacks. His sophomore (108 tackles, including 18 for loss and three sacks) and junior seasons (91 tackles, including an FCS-best 26 tackles for loss and five sacks) only reinforced that he was a virtual man amongst boys at this level.

Jackson took a leave of absence prior to the start of his senior season to aid his ailing mother, whose bout with neuromyelitis optica, also known as Devic's disease, contributed to his staying close to home to play at Jackson State despite offers elsewhere. He returned to earn All-American honors, leading JSU with 82 tackles, including 19.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and four sacks before turning heads at inside linebacker amongst top competition at the Shrine Game.

ANAYLSIS

STRENGTHS: Jones possesses a solid frame for linebacker with broad shoulders, thick limbs and good overall weight distribution. As an edge rusher, his initial burst, lateral agility and core flexibility made him tough to stop at this level. He is an agile and balanced athlete, showing the wiggle to elude would-be blockers in space, and locates the football quickly, possessing the change-of-direction and accelerate to stalk ballcarriers from behind and close in a flash. Jones showed impressive awareness at linebacker in coverage at the Shrine Game, handling Utah's speedy running back Joe Williams -- a legitimate NFL talent in his own right -- in the open field. Showed his toughness in 2014, playing the season with what later proved to be two broken hands. Passionate, enthusiastic player.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks the length and bulk to likely remain in the edge rusher role that he starred at Jackson State. A bit reliant upon his athleticism, showing a nice swim move but little else in terms of his pass rush and needs to work on his upper body strength and use of hands to disengage.

IN OUR VIEW: Jones is facing an obvious jump in competition but the fact that he stood in the all-star at a new position hints at his instincts, talent and hunger for success.

wist

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ne?id=2558138I

I really like running back Samaje Perine if we can get him in the 3rd or 4th round....had to share carries with Mixon at OU but he a big powerful runner who can step in right away and take Lacy's place.

Javancy would come from a similar collegiate background as Joe Thomas who came from SC State. Joe is 6'1, 227 and Javancy is listed at 6'2, with ESPN listing him at 230 and NFL.com listing him at 245. That's a bit of a disparity. I did read that he would likely have to move inside. Could be a good guy to get with either a comp. pick or priority free agent. Could he be a poor man's Deion Jones, or is he more of a thumper? Definitely a sleeper, but looks interesting.

That still of Perine for the Youtube video highlights reminds me of Robert Newhouse from the Dallas Cowboys. Perine, unlike Lacy, looks to be all muscle. I bet it's no fun to tackle this guy when he's running downhill. He seems to have some shake too, no matter what the NFL.com profile says; tape don't lie. I'm not sure how someone who broke records held by AP and Billy Sims could ever go under the radar. He also has a bit of the same look at Christine Michael, except that Perine looks like he has better vision to wait for his cutback lane to hit it. I could see the Packers drafting him as the pounder, getting him in the third or fourth round and being happy that they didn't over pay for a top running back, or have to spend a higher draft slot on a running back. Perine could be really good at the next level, but I would say that he's under the radar compared to others getting more talk.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ne?id=2558138I

I really like running back Samaje Perine if we can get him in the 3rd or 4th round....had to share carries with Mixon at OU but he a big powerful runner who can step in right away and take Lacy's place.

Wasn't he the one who broke Melvin Gordon's single game rushing record? Even though Gordon sat the 4th quarter and Perine only broke it by 20 yards or so?
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post

Found this online. That G looks familiar, but in this case, it's for Bishop Gorman H.S. in Las Vegas. Did he only do track at USC? Is he eligible for this year's draft?
    Yes, only track at USC. He was a junior a year ago, so I assume a senior now. I remember reading glowing things about him as a QB a few years ago, maybe coming out of H.S. He's 6'5 and skinny - varsity quarter miler in addition to the high jumping. He should be worth a look as either a QB prospect or WR - based on genes alone.

I wonder if old Randall is suffering some of those well known effects of too many hits and maybe told his son to stay away from the sport.

Randall Cunningham II

Didn't Cunningham's daughter try out for the Olympic team as a high jumper?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Didn't Cunningham's daughter try out for the Olympic team as a high jumper?
    Yes, I think you're right.

I've been on the Perine bandwagon for a while. He won't outrun many people, but he lives in the weight room and if you wanted to draft a hammer he might be your guy. I can't imagine he's fun to tackle in the 4th quarter.

I don't think he'll be drafted by TT though -- most likely they will give Ripkowski those 1 yard Kuhn dives and draft another Ty clone. Christine Michael and Don Jackson are not the answer.

Exactly what we don't need - another plodder like Perine. I'd rather we don't draft another RB at all, but if we do, it damn well better be "another Ty clone", Mixon for example. Ripkowski as a part time short yardage RB/part time FB, along with Michael as a back up with speed, those two with Montgomery would be good enough. Crockett is another possibility. After all, the key to winning is for this to be a PASS FIRST team.

Good article on MMQB about some long-shot prospects with interesting football journeys: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/14/n...-clemson-cody#

Alton Voss of Grand Valley State has a very interesting story of overcoming addiction. He's 28 and was recruited out of H.S. in FL as a QB back in 2007, but addiction changed his path, but he overcame it and ended up getting another chance at football. Check out his story.

At 6'3 and 240, he got his second chance and played LB at Grand Valley State. He was teammates with Matt Judon, who was drafted by the Ravens in 2016. He's 28 now, but with all the time away from football, if he was able to make an NFL roster, who knows?

Exactly what we don't need - another plodder like Perine. I'd rather we don't draft another RB at all, but if we do, it damn well better be "another Ty clone", Mixon for example. Ripkowski as a part time short yardage RB/part time FB, along with Michael as a back up with speed, those two with Montgomery would be good enough. Crockett is another possibility. After all, the key to winning is for this to be a PASS FIRST team.
    He won't be a big help getting the lead, but will be a huge help sustaining the lead, and perhaps expanding it. I'm okay if in the 4th

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    Wasn't he the one who broke Melvin Gordon's single game rushing record? Even though Gordon sat the 4th quarter and Perine only broke it by 20 yards or so?
    Yup that's him.

Nice you disagree...like my pick even more now.

Draft a Ty clone...we already have a Ty. Mixon will be a high 2nd round pick and Ripkowski shouldn't be getting carries at all imo. Perone has underrated hands and could provide great pass protection for Rodgers.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ine?id=2558138

Don't know why the link above didn't work but great breakdown of his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    Good article on MMQB about some long-shot prospects with interesting football journeys: http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/14/n...-clemson-cody#

Alton Voss of Grand Valley State has a very interesting story of overcoming addiction. He's 28 and was recruited out of H.S. in FL as a QB back in 2007, but addiction changed his path, but he overcame it and ended up getting another chance at football. Check out his story.

At 6'3 and 240, he got his second chance and played LB at Grand Valley State. He was teammates with Matt Judon, who was drafted by the Ravens in 2016. He's 28 now, but with all the time away from football, if he was able to make an NFL roster, who knows?
    A Matt Judon mention...

A 5th round pick by Baltimore last year.

Judon was a popular sleeper pick here on Packerrats last year... I wanted him, and I know a few others did as well. Not surprisingly, TT spit on Judon, and not surprisingly Judon ended up showing more talent and upside than any of the defenders TT selected in last year's draft.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    A Matt Judon mention...

A 5th round pick by Baltimore last year.

Judon was a popular sleeper pick here on Packerrats last year... I wanted him, and I know a few others did as well. Not surprisingly, TT spit on Judon, and not surprisingly Judon ended up showing more talent and upside than any of the defenders TT selected in last year's draft.
    Just out of curiosity, is there anyone from last year's draft you would have passed on in favor of Judon? Or, is there anyone that made the team out of camp in 2016 that you would have parted with in favor of Judon, assuming that he came in and did as well as he did for the Ravens?

Obviously, you have to have a roster spot for him. Perhaps they were confident that they had enough at LB, but I don't really know.

1. Jordan Willis, Edge-Rusher (Kansas State)
    2. Josh Jones, Safety (North Carolina State)
    3. Zay Jones, Wide Receiver (East Carolina)
    4. Obi Melifonwu, Safety (UConn)5. George Kittle, Tight End (Iowa)
    5. George Kittle, Tight End (Iowa)

All courtesy of http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...big-board-more
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.