Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The All-SPARQ Mock Draft

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar

The All-SPARQ Mock Draft

I've been watching the Three Sigma Athlete SPARQ Rankings for several years now. It's uncanny how many of TT's free agent and draft picks in the past have had high SPARQ Rankings.

"SPARQ is a formula developed by Nike which measures player athleticism by outputting a single composite score." The player's athleticism is then compared to the athleticism of players currently in the NFL. Some teams put a lot of stock in SPARQ Rankings, some don't. TT seems to.

So, what I did was use the CBS Big Board at Fanspeak On The Clock Mock Draft Simulator and did a mock draft for the PACKERS trying to select players in each round who had the highest SPARQ Rankings for their position.

It will be interesting if any of these players (or other players with high SPARQ Rankings) wind up being chosen by TT this year.

These are the results (SPARQ Position Ranking After Name):

29: R1P29
    CB KEVIN KING - #1 CB
    WASHINGTON

61: R2P29
    EDGE JORDAN WILLIS - #3 EDGE (#1 = Samson Ebukam; #2 Hassan Reddick)
    KANSAS STATE

93: R3P29
    G NICO SIRAGUSA - #6 OL (Highest ranked major college O-lineman)
    SAN DIEGO STATE

134: R4P27
    EDGE TANOH KPASSAGNON - #4 DL (#1 = Chris Wormley)
    VILLANOVA

172: R5P28
    CB BRIAN ALLEN - #12 CB
    UTAH

182: R5P38
    RB T.J. LOGAN - #18 RB (#1 Among Major College RB's = Alvin Kamara)
    NORTH CAROLINA

212: R6P28
    WR ROBERT DAVIS - #1 WR
    GEORGIA STATE

247: R7P29
    RB CHRIS CARSON - #22 RB
    OKLAHOMA STATE
    Last edited by Maxie the Taxi; 04-23-2017 at 07:42 PM.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

sounds like the al davis approach to drafting

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    sounds like the al davis approach to drafting
    Yeah, made to order for him. lol
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Could use it to decide between two similarly ranked players on your big board, unless SPARQ is the way you made your big board.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

How did the #1 WR drop that far? Simply the most athletic receiver with (probably) hands of stone and a brain of brick?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

So a poor man's Jeff Janis?

Some of the top SPARQ athletes never get drafted and turn out to be nothing burgers. You still have to have coaching, experience and football savvy.

On the other hand, you can't teach athleticism. Some guys have it; some don't. Most in the NFL have it.

I watched this SPARQ stuff for a few years. Let's put it this way. NFL talent tends to bunch at the top of the SPARQ rankings and the SPARQ Rankings can differ considerably from traditional scout rankings. Not too many players with rankings below the SPARQ median make it in the NFL, even players who are ranked in the upper tier by traditional draft scouts. Broadly speaking, those players above the SPARQ median usually do make it and usually stand out as great players.

FILE THE FOLLOWING IN "TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH" CATEGORY -

Based on athleticism measureables alone, SPARQy says the following big-name players are most likely to be competitive in the NFL (listed in order of most competitive), i.e., Packers are most likely to draft (if available at their pick):

CB's: Kevin King, Fabian Moreau, Marshon Lattimore, Chidobe Awuzie, Ahkello Witherspoon, Marlon Humphrey, Gareon Conley, Adoree Jackson

RB's: Aaron Jones, Alvin Kamara, Christian McCaffrey, Chris Carson, Joe Williams, Jeremy McNichols, Stanley Williams, Marlon Mack, T.J. Logan, Brian Hill

OL: Garett Bolles, Nico Siragusa, Forrest Lamp, Dion Dawkins, Taylor Moton

EDGE:
    Myles Garrett, Jordan Willis, T.J. Watt, Hassan Reddick, Solomon Thomas, Tyus Bowser, Trey Hendrickson, Derek Rivers, Daeshon Hall, Jeremiah Ledbetter, Carl Lawson, Keionta Davis, Deatrich Wise Jr., Tarell Basham, Ifeadi Odenigbo, Ejuan Price, Taco Charlton, Tashawn Bower

Based on athleticism measureables alone, SPARQy says the following big-name players are least likely to be competitive in the NFL (listed in order of least competitive), i.e., Packers are least likely to draft (if available at their pick):

CB's:
    Damontae Kazee, Teez Tabor, Cordrea Tankersley, Marquez White, Sidney Jones, Jourdan Lewis, Tre'Davious White, Rasul Douglas, Desmond King, Howard Wilson, Quincy Wilson

RB's: De'Veon Smith, Matthew Dayes, Dalvin Cook, James Conner, Tarik Cohen, Leonard Fournette, Elijah Hood, Donnell Pumphrey, Elijah McGuire, Wayne Gallman, Samaje Perine, D'Onta Foreman, Jamaal Williams, Dare Ogunbowale, Corey Clement

OL: Pat Elflein, Damien Mama, Tyler Orlosky, Jon Toth, Kyle Fuller, Chase Roullier, Dan Skipper, Ethan Pocic, Aviante Collins, Dan Feeney, Isaac Asiata, Danny Isidora, Will Holden, Dorian Johnson, Ben Braden, Jermaine Eluemunor, Jessamen Dunker

EDGE:
    Ryan Anderson, Bryan Cox, DeMarcus Walker, Josh Carraway, Derek Barnett, Dewuane Smoot, Garrett Sickels, Devonte Fields, Tim Williams, Takkarist McKinley, Charles Harris, Carroll Phillips,

Just as a frame of reference, in the 2015 Class of Defensive Backs, SPARQy predicted Damarious Randall would be among the most competitive players in the NFL (among Safeties).

Among CB's, SPARQy predicted Quinten Rollins and Ladarius Gunter would be among the least competitive players in the NFL.

Derek Barnett will be an interesting test case for SPARQ at the EDGE position. Read a mock in the last two days that had him going to Bengals as a pretty safe selection. He has production up the wazoo at Tennessee.

It was noted that chatter about him has subsided, so perhaps his limited measurables have come home to roost.

EDIT: no typo, I just can't read anymore
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-24-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Derek Barnett will be an interesting test case for SPARQ at the EDGE position (assuming the last name under most likely to disappoint "Barnett" is a typo). Read a mock in the last two days that had him going to Bengals as a pretty safe selection. He has production up the wazoo at Tennessee.

It was noted that chatter about him has subsided, so perhaps his limited measurables have come home to roost.
    I don't watch much Michigan football any more, but when I did tune in a couple of times, especially last season, Chris Wormley came up big, over and over. Lots of tackles for loss. He's super quick - but not just that cheating-on-the-snap-count quick - he's just quick. I think he'd be a dynamite OLB, as he isn't the heaviest guy in the world. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Green and Gold.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    I don't watch much Michigan football any more, but when I did tune in a couple of times, especially last season, Chris Wormley came up big, over and over. Lots of tackles for loss. He's super quick - but not just that cheating-on-the-snap-count quick - he's just quick. I think he'd be a dynamite OLB, as he isn't the heaviest guy in the world. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the Green and Gold.
    Wormley has the highest SPARQ Ranking of all Defensive Linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Derek Barnett will be an interesting test case for SPARQ at the EDGE position. Read a mock in the last two days that had him going to Bengals as a pretty safe selection. He has production up the wazoo at Tennessee.

EDIT: no typo, I just can't read anymore
    Another good SPARQ test will be Pat Elflein. At NFL.com an NFL "scout" called him a "safe pick." Yet, he's got the worst SPARQ Ranking of ANY Offensive Lineman in the draft. Zierlein says he should be "one of the first interior linemen to come off the draft board." We'll see. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Just as a frame of reference, in the 2015 Class of Defensive Backs, SPARQy predicted Damarious Randall would be among the most competitive players in the NFL (among Safeties).

Among CB's, SPARQy predicted Quinten Rollins and Ladarius Gunter would be among the least competitive players in the NFL.
    Pretty much what we saw athletic wise, Rollins and especially Gunter were a liability against speedy receivers, but at least they showed signs of knowing how to play. Randall had plenty of athletic talent to get the job done, but he didn't do the job.

SPARQ seems like a decent tool (although probably no better than the usual handling of combine numbers) to choose between players that are close in other aspects, but it can't make up for deficiencies in technical skill, coachablility, and football IQ. SPARQ is probably best suited to use by us fans.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Another interesting tidbit...Lucas Patrick, who is fighting it out with Barclay and Murphy for TJ Lang's position, was the #4 Ranked O-lineman by SPARQ in 2016, three ranks higher than...Jason Spriggs.

Another interesting tidbit...Lucas Patrick, who is fighting it out with Barclay and Murphy for TJ Lang's position, was the #4 Ranked O-lineman by SPARQ in 2016, three ranks higher than...Jason Spriggs.
    I like to use SPARQ as a tool, but you have to be careful comparing Combine results with Pro Day results. Pro Day results tend to be inflated (faster tracks, lack electronic timing, etc.). Spriggs tested at the Combine. Patrick tested at Pro Day. Even with that, how did Patrick beat out Spriggs? All of my numbers for Spriggs are better than Patrick.

40 - 4.94 vs 5.26
    Sht - 4.44 vs 4.66
    3-Cone = 7.70 vs 7.77
    Vertical = 31.5" vs 29"
    Broad Jump = 115" vs 106"
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    SPARQ is probably best suited to use by us fans.
    You'd think, but it seems Ted and others in the NFL use it as one of their primary tools.

For instance, Josh Hawkins whom Ted signed as a UDFA was the #8 SPARQ Ranked CB in 2016, 15 spots higher than Jalen Mills.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I like to use SPARQ as a tool, but you have to be careful comparing Combine results with Pro Day results. Pro Day results tend to be inflated (faster tracks, lack electronic timing, etc.). Spriggs tested at the Combine. Patrick tested at Pro Day. Even with that, how did Patrick beat out Spriggs? All of my numbers for Spriggs are better than Patrick.

40 - 4.94 vs 5.26
    Sht - 4.44 vs 4.66
    3-Cone = 7.70 vs 7.77
    Vertical = 31.5" vs 29"
    Broad Jump = 115" vs 106"
    Beats me. I just go by the SPARQ rankings at the website. Maybe they figure in height, weight, age, muscle mass, ??? LOL

Harv, I see the difference now. At the website they use a couple more measureables than you have listed. Patrick did better in these than Spriggs. Still, they two are very, very close raw number-wise. You can scroll to the right of the chart and get what they based the SPARQ on. https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings2016/ol/

You'd think, but it seems Ted and others in the NFL use it as one of their primary tools.

For instance, Josh Hawkins whom Ted signed as a UDFA was the #8 SPARQ Ranked CB in 2016, 15 spots higher than Jalen Mills.
    SPARQ just combines a bunch of performance numbers into one. I suspect that the Packers use the original numbers instead of SPARQ. When TT goes for UDFA's, he tends to go for the best athletes he can get his hands on, in the hopes that they can coach them into players. That will naturally lead to higher SPARQ ratings.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!