Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The All-SPARQ Mock Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post
    Harv, I see the difference now. At the website they use a couple more measureables than you have listed. Patrick did better in these than Spriggs. Still, they two are very, very close raw number-wise. You can scroll to the right of the chart and get what they based the SPARQ on. https://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings2016/ol/
    I still don't see how he's ahead, and it shouldn't be close. Spriggs has him beat in everything except 10 shuttle and 20 shuttle. Most categories he's comfortably ahead. Patrick weighed 3 more pounds, but Spriggs has a distinct height advantage on him.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

SPARQ doesn't make someone a football player, but if you want a fast and athletic defense, then those numbers are important. Look at the Seachickens D.

It can't be the first metric you account for, but it has to weigh in. Otherwise you get a lot of good college performers who are outclassed physically in the NFL.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    I still don't see how he's ahead, and it shouldn't be close. Spriggs has him beat in everything except 10 shuttle and 20 shuttle. Most categories he's comfortably ahead. Patrick weighed 3 more pounds, but Spriggs has a distinct height advantage on him.
    Patrick's 10 and 20 yard splits in the 40 were faster than Spriggs (unsure of source of numbers).

Patrick is a 122.6 pSparq and Z-score of 1.6. Spriggs was 122.6 and 1.4. pSparq is a positional score (Patrick compared to Guards, Spriggs to tackles) and the Z-score is the deviation from the population of Guards or Tackles.

So Maxie's ranks are telling us that Patrick was a freaky Guard and Spriggs was a slightly less freaky Tackle in terms of athletic traits.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I think you've got to take the ratings for offensive players with a grain of salt. More is obviously still better but since defenders do not know what's coming, they need some degree of make-up-speed to be successful. A slow WR who can run precise routes and explode out of their cuts or a slow running back with outstanding vision can both be NFL worthy by exploiting the element of surprise. Ted seems to prefer these types on offense. Possible exception being his offensive linemen. He likes em big, quick, and positionally ambiguous.

On Defense though I would be surprised if Ted didn't pluck one or two of these high-Sparq guys.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Senior Rat HOFer Maxie the Taxi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxie the Taxi View Post

These are the results (SPARQ Position Ranking After Name):

29: R1P29
    CB KEVIN KING - #1 CB
    WASHINGTON

61: R2P29
    EDGE JORDAN WILLIS - #3 EDGE (#1 = Samson Ebukam; #2 Hassan Reddick)
    KANSAS STATE

93: R3P29
    G NICO SIRAGUSA - #6 OL (Highest ranked major college O-lineman)
    SAN DIEGO STATE

134: R4P27
    EDGE TANOH KPASSAGNON - #4 DL (#1 = Chris Wormley)
    VILLANOVA

172: R5P28
    CB BRIAN ALLEN - #12 CB
    UTAH

182: R5P38
    RB T.J. LOGAN - #18 RB (#1 Among Major College RB's = Alvin Kamara)
    NORTH CAROLINA

212: R6P28
    WR ROBERT DAVIS - #1 WR
    GEORGIA STATE

247: R7P29
    RB CHRIS CARSON - #22 RB
    OKLAHOMA STATE
    So far, so good.
    One time Lombardi was disgusted with the team in practice and told them they were going to have to start with the basics. He held up a ball and said: "This is a football." McGee immediately called out, "Stop, coach, you're going too fast," and that gave everyone a laugh.
    John Maxymuk, Packers By The Numbers

Bump.

Again, kudos to Maxie for digging up this info.

Its clear a lot of teams (Packers included) are trying to get more athletic and this kind of ranking helps explain what they are doing what they are doing.

As 3itry1 opines, as offenses get weirder and more pass whacky, the athleticism of your defense becomes more important. Because you aren't holding up a wall at the front of the defense, you are chasing players across the width and depth of the field.