Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Apparently the on-roster replacements weren't enough - Jahri Evans signing

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    we had lang but let him go. if you agree that evans isn't as good as lang then you must agree we're worse at that position. i'd have given tt credit had he resigned lang.
    We most certainly DID NOT have lang. He was a FA. Unrestricted no less. He got paid like a tackle. Glad for him. Glad TT isn't the guy who did pay him.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

I wouldn't rule out Evans actually being an upgrade from Lang. Lang played way up in his contract year, and he has a history of injuries. Evans is 4 years older but without the history of injuries, and he has been a much better player for most of his career. Even last season, he was apparently decent. Drew Brees is nowhere near as mobile as Aaron Rodgers, and the Saints O Line including Evans protected him pretty well. Also, the Saints have been at least average as a running team over his career. If Ted got him for a million or so, I say good going.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    I wouldn't rule out Evans actually being an upgrade from Lang. Lang played way up in his contract year, and he has a history of injuries. Evans is 4 years older but without the history of injuries, and he has been a much better player for most of his career. Even last season, he was apparently decent. Drew Brees is nowhere near as mobile as Aaron Rodgers, and the Saints O Line including Evans protected him pretty well. Also, the Saints have been at least average as a running team over his career. If Ted got him for a million or so, I say good going.
    tex - the Seattle Seahawks didn't keep him and their offensive line is terrible. He was a stopgap for the Saints as well.

Injuries are one thing, but he isn't close to Lang anymore. He's closer to Taylor's level.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    We most certainly DID NOT have lang. He was a FA. Unrestricted no less. He got paid like a tackle. Glad for him. Glad TT isn't the guy who did pay him.
    all tt had to do to keep lang was pay him. cap wasn't an issue. we're talking about whether free agency has improved the Packers this season. has it? well obviously no. an upgrade at one position doesn't make it so.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    So when you compare an injured TE who can't block to Bennet and you compare Lang to Evans you don't call that a net win?
    cook vs bennett: upgrade with bennett. lang vs evans: downgrade with evans (evidently the Packers coaches were very upset about the lang loss)

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    tex - the Seattle Seahawks didn't keep him and their offensive line is terrible. He was a stopgap for the Saints as well.

Injuries are one thing, but he isn't close to Lang anymore. He's closer to Taylor's level.
    Tex does have a point though. He was part of a line that protected Brees very well. Only 27 sacks even though Brees led the NFL in pass attempts. Also, Schneider has admitted that not keeping Evans was probably a mistake. Maybe the Seahawks offensive line is horrible because they've made bad decisions.

I realize he's probably not as good as Lang. I just don't think RG will be a huge factor. And you could certainly argue that Evans has a better chance of playing 16 games than Lang does.

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    all tt had to do to keep lang was pay him. cap wasn't an issue. we're talking about whether free agency has improved the Packers this season. has it? well obviously no. an upgrade at one position doesn't make it so.

cook vs bennett: upgrade with bennett. lang vs evans: downgrade with evans (evidently the Packers coaches were very upset about the lang loss)
    You don't pay top dollar to the least important position on the offensive line. TT has a clear record of that, do we need to list them? Let me rephrase that. GOOD teams don't pay top dollar to Guards. That's why the Lions did....
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    You don't pay top dollar to the least important position on the offensive line. TT has a clear record of that, do we need to list them? Let me rephrase that. GOOD teams don't pay top dollar to Guards. That's why the Lions did....
    but are we better on the field for tt's thrift? we're simply not. THIS Packers team needs upgrades to go to the superbowl.

but are we better on the field for tt's thrift? we're simply not. THIS Packers team needs upgrades to go to the superbowl.
    But not all upgrades come from free agency. Upgrades also come from players getting healthy, players improving, the draft, better schemes etc.

I think the improvement at the TE position (Don't forget Kendricks) will at least offset the losses on the offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    But not all upgrades come from free agency. Upgrades also come from players getting healthy, players improving, the draft, better schemes etc.

I think the improvement at the TE position (Don't forget Kendricks) will at least offset the losses on the offensive line.
    i think guys improving on their own will be offset by guys not improving, and the guys who improved the year before, or the guys we lost

if things worked the way you say, then every team would get better every single year. and that just simply isn't the case

and like i've said before. i think bennett is a slight upgrade over cook, and kendricks might be a slight upgrade from dick rod. not a huge upgrade. plus both are only on one year deals, much like all our FA signings, which i can't get out of my head

I love the new Te----- Elliot Wolf.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    But not all upgrades come from free agency.
    true but that's what we were discussing. not the draft or the cap. just talent lost and talent picked up.

Were the terms of his contract ever reported?

Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Were the terms of his contract ever reported?
    nothing that i can find

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    true but that's what we were discussing. not the draft or the cap. just talent lost and talent picked up.
    That was a different thread. Pretty silly to only count that as the way to make improvements. You're strictly looking at FA and placing blame at TTs feet for what you don't like. TT has FA and the draft to improve his team. The main point here you aren't understanding is he's not going to sign the FA YOU want if he thinks he can fill the hole via the draft. That's wasting resources.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
    #Packers FA Guard Jahri Evans' one-year deal is worth $2.25M: $200K signing bonus, $1.15M base, $800K per game roster, $100K w/o, $225K LTBE
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.