Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the on-roster replacements weren't enough - Jahri Evans signing

Apparently the on-roster replacements weren't enough - Jahri Evans signing

No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Apparently the guy is healthy, and at age 33, he should still have something left. He was supposedly the highest paid guard in the league 7 years ago, and he finished his big contract or close to it. There is at least reason to be hopeful. I assume he signed cheap and could be cut with no great harm if he isn't any good.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Why not sign some depth? The first injury and everyone will be after TT for not having some veteran experience.

This is the kind of move I think a lot of people wish TT would make more often. Acquire a solid veteran who can be a stop-gap until your young guys are ready to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    This is the kind of move I think a lot of people wish TT would make more often. Acquire a solid veteran who can be a stop-gap until your young guys are ready to start.
    I'm not against this move, but TT did try this kind of thing a couple of years ago with a guy by the name of Jeff Saturday. Hope he's a good stop-gap, but they better be prepared if he isn't.
    Fire Murphy, Gute, MLF, Barry, Senavich, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I'm not against this move, but TT did try this kind of thing a couple of years ago with a guy by the name of Jeff Saturday. Hope he's a good stop-gap, but they better be prepared if he isn't.
    I thought about Saturday too. You never know for sure when a veteran will fall off the cliff. Still, this strikes me as a no risk/moderate gain move. Evans clearly is past his prime, but he was pretty solid last year.

You want him on bench, and for a youngster to start
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Wait, will he cost a compensatory pick?
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Except this isn't a step forward move. This is Tightwad Ted realizing he screwed the pooch royally with Lang and now trying to cover his worthless ass.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Jeff Saturday was almost 40 when the Packers signed him...Evans is only 33. Plus, Evans was a better player in his prime than Saturday ever was.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

33 and no major injuries ain't bad for an O Lineman. Saturday, as I recall, in addition to old, was undersized - predictable he would fail. Evans, unless there is stuff we don't know, could be a decent starter for a couple of years. It wouldn't take much to be better than Barclay, and Rodgers' mobility makes everybody seem better.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Good signing...now we can focus on defense in the draft.

Something isn't right here

How did he play last year?

And why was he cut by Seattle last year before the regular season. I get why the saint first cut him, he was expensive, but he was only counting a million against the cap in Seattle, that's cheap even for a backup

Sure he was once awesome, but is he any good anymore?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Good signing...now we can focus on defense in the draft.
    Agreed! Evans was the 5th best pass blocking Guard in football last year. Lang was 2nd. For the price TT might come out ahead on this if they can show him an opportunity to win and get a couple years out of him.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Good signing. I like this new TT. Gut feeling - TT is handing over more of the reigns to some of the younger staff knowing they are gonna be running the whole ship in two years.

Blog Entries
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Blog Entries
    Evans played well last season w/ the Saints. He's got at least one, mebbe two years in his tank. Even tho he's a Pennsylvania boy, it's always been his dream to play for the GBP. He excels at both run blocking and has great pass pro. The question with him is durability. 33 yr olds get hurt easier than the kids. They need to be careful with him, he doesn't need a ton of Pre season snaps. This could be a good addition for us.

PFF had him ranked #36 and Lane Taylor at #41 at OG last year. Putting both in the average starter range, but that would be good enough with Aaron Rodgers at QB. Especially considering the money they are spending at the position. I still think Patrick might be a sleeper. The organization seems to like his potential. I think this puts Barclay at super utility, where he belongs. It will likely be Evans starting with Patrick and Murphy challenging this year and possibly replacing next year.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Great pass blocker, average run from what I've read.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    This was a solid move by Thompson.