Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 1st Round Of The NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    HISTORY! Bear first round picks inside the Top 5.

when jay cutler is by far the greatest QB your 100 year old franchise has ever had, you should quit trying

how can they never find a good one?

I don't see Fournette having a AP type career.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

we're already falling behind and we're only 4 picks in

WMU REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Corey Davis - WR - Western Michigan

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Outstanding four-year production. Alpha attitude on the field and not afraid to take on the challenge of heavy target load. Excellent competitiveness. Focuses like a laser when ball is in the air. Tracks the deep ball as well as anyone in college and understands how to stack cornerbacks and keep them on his hip. Has second gear to run under the long ball. Excels in intermediate and deep parts of the field. Route running showed improvement in 2016. Variable route speed creates indecision for defenders. Vertical routes are crisp and create tilt in off-corners and safeties that he is quick to take advantage of. Play speed features access to functional burst. Can defeat inside leverage. A quarterback's friend who works aggressively back to the ball. Dominates in red zone. High-point catcher who uses well-timed leaps and long arms to win the 50-50 throws. Increases physicality and acceleration out of routes when operating near paydirt.

WEAKNESSES Doesn't always sell his vertical routes aggressively enough to make cornerbacks open their hips. Drifts, at times, on in-breaking routes, allowing defenders to squeeze the route. Needs to improve quickness into and out of his breaks underneath. Elongated into breaks when working from slot. Has had some issues with focus drops on throws outside of his frame. Had 16 drops over last three years at Western. Free releases into his routes in college will turn into stern press challenges in the pros. Wasn't asked to do much meaningful blocking.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "Man, he breaks them off with those routes. It wasn't even fair the way he did those corners in that conference. A man among boys." -- AFC North regional scout

NFL COMPARISON Eric Decker

BOTTOM LINE Touchdown juggernaut who was a four-year model of production and consistency in college. Davis has the route-running and ball skills to become a starter in the league, but it is his competitiveness and production in the red-zone that should make him a good one.

Jets are on the clock.

If I took a wr with a top 5 first round pick, damn it, he better be good.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    Interesting to see who the Jets are going to take.

Cory Davis could be a very solid NFL player, I just don't know if it would have taken a 5th pick to secure him.

Another stretch - Corey Davis is decent but not that good to be 5th overall
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

browns wanted trubinski, now they're trying to trade their #12 pick for kirk cousins

The Bears stupidity is breathtaking!
    Who Knows? The Shadow knows!

Jamal Adams - S - LSU

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Natural-born leader of men. Well-built. Will not hesitate for one second as a hitter. Steps downhill looking to punish running backs to set a tone for defense. Toggles between patient and urgent in treks to the ball. Plays off blockers. Approaches target with open arms and wide, balanced base to limit escape routes. Intelligent field general. Gets secondary aligned properly. Plays with plus balance in coverage. Pattern reader who can digest combinations. Alert for misdirection keys from offense. Party crasher on screen plays. Can handle coverage responsibilities against tight ends. Five interceptions and two recovered fumbles over last two seasons at LSU. Special-teams terror as freshman and sophomore, notching 21 tackles. No penalties in 2016. Father, George, was a first-round pick of the Giants in 1984.

WEAKNESSES Handsy and too willing to clamp onto receivers down the field. Hard-charging downhill, but a little stiff when asked to retreat. Long speed appears to be average on tape. Eyes drop when targets approach his area. Anticipation is average, limiting his range as a center-fielder. Will give away some interceptions due to drops. Slower coming to balance as tackler on bursting runners between the tackles. Desire to limit cutbacks leads to challenging play-side tackles. Doesn't pursue with expected vigor from across the field. Aggressiveness opens him up against play-action.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "The people who have been at that program the longest think he might be the best leader LSU has had in years. He's a no-doubt first-rounder. He can play all over the field and he could have an immediate impact on defense just like Landon Collins did coming out. I love him. I think he's a winner." - AFC area scout

NFL COMPARISON Darren Woodson

BOTTOM LINE Interchangeable safety with a sheriff's mentality. Adams is a physical tone-setter who should thrive near the line of scrimmage or in a robber role. Should be a commanding presence in the locker room early on and his do-as-I-do play demeanor could be the catalyst for turning a struggling defense around quickly.

LSU with 2 of the top 6 picks.

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Another stretch - Corey Davis is decent but not that good to be 5th overall
    I agree. He's good, but I don't think he's Julio Jones good.

I guess they were trying to prevent anyone else moving up to take Trubinsky, I am not sure why but fuck I ain't no GM

Chargers are on the clock.

Chargers pick next

Holy moly

Mike Williams - WR - Clemson

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Prototypical height, weight, speed prospect. Fills out the uniform as well as any receiver in college football. Sells vertical push to create an early hip turn from backpedaling cornerbacks. Uses hands to create late separation on vertical throws. Long arms and big hands can go get throws at their highest point, snatching 50/50 balls away from his in-air competitors. Ball tracking is impeccable. Able to track it inside, outside or over his shoulder. Hands catcher who plucks it away from his body. Has body control to dig out the low balls and contort to grab throws Deshaun Watson leaves behind him. Concentration ramps up when routes take him between the hashes. Works middle of the field with no reservations about what is lingering. Has been asked to work all three levels of the field at Clemson. Can make cornerbacks miss after the catch and extend his play. Needs more commitment as a run blocker but has frame and strength to make a difference as a blocker.

WEAKNESSES Natural pass catcher who will occasionally run into focus drops. Drops issue found him over second half of the season. Route work lacks focus and energy. Creates very little indecision from cornerbacks with his head fakes and jab steps. Ability to win with physical traits could dry up on next level. Could use better understanding of route leverage to open wider passing lanes for quarterbacks. Plant-and-go at the stem lacks crispness as does acceleration from his cuts. Average release quickness. Gets hung up by press corners with a good lead jab. Needs to play to his size. Gets muscled against sideline too often. Fumbled twice this season. Neck injury forced him to miss entire 2015 season so until he clears combine medicals, teams may have a red flag on him.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 1

SOURCES TELL US "Really pretty looking when you watch him down on the field but he's not there yet. I think he'll get there but he's not there yet. I don't think he's going to run as fast as people think. When college players get up here and find out that cornerbacks are faster and more physical, there is an adjustment period. I think it will take him some time to figure things out but I think he'll do it. He's going to be good, I just don't know if he's going to be a star." -- NFC Pro Personnel Director

NFL COMPARISON Plaxico Burress

BOTTOM LINE Williams looks the part of a WR1 and has shown an ability to work all three levels of the field after coming back from his 2015 neck injury. Williams is tough enough to be a high-volume target while working the middle of the field and his size and ball skills make him a formidable foe in the end zone. He'll have to be coached up with his routes and releases, but he has the talent to become a big safety blanket for a young quarterback.
    -Lance Zierlein