Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Official Kevin King 2017 Second Round Choice

Pete Prisco at CBS gives the Kevin King pick by the Packers an A+. The only A+ of the 2nd round. Says Prisco, "Love this kid. Love this pick. Smart move by Ted Thompson. He's a hell of a corner".

Quote Originally Posted by Packgator View Post
    Pete Prisco at CBS gives the Kevin King pick by the Packers an A+. The only A+ of the 2nd round. Says Prisco, "Love this kid. Love this pick. Smart move by Ted Thompson. He's a hell of a corner".
    I always said Pete Prisco was smart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    I'm pretty sure TT projects him as a starting CB.

On our team TT could project any CG as a starter
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Wrong thread.

Fantasy Guru Rat Veteran
    I'm pretty sure TT projects him as a starting CB.
    i don't have much faith in that. TT hasn't exactly done a good job of drafting corners. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I just haven't seen or read anything that makes me think he's anything other then just another TT CB.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbarnes101 View Post
    i don't have much faith in that. TT hasn't exactly done a good job of drafting corners. I hope I'm wrong, I really do. I just haven't seen or read anything that makes me think he's anything other then just another TT CB.
    So what do you want him to do? Stop drafting cornerbacks?

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    Shut down CB
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Strongly disagree with this. Jury is still out on Rollins and Randal. I think after ol and wr secondary talent is his strength

All the more reason to not like this pick. Let's settle for the lousiest of the best and the best of the lousiest.
    Its usually better if Bretsky doesn't like someone. Otherwise, they tend to get arrested.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    Its usually better if Bretsky doesn't like someone. Otherwise, they tend to get arrested.
    Time will tell if Tedology works
    I've been saying for a long time with the draft being so deep at CB you have to go with an OLB/Edge Rusher in round one cause there will be plenty of secondary help in runds 2-4. I think I was right. Plenty of very capable round 2-3 CB's and it's likely some will be as capable as King. Meanwhile the pot of edge rushers are pretty empty and it appears TT doesn't view that as much of a need and instead is using a round one and round two pick at the exact same position he went for two years ago

Consider me ET right now....calling out..............

ELIOTTTT
    ELIOTTTT
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

King is alright. He's a borderline first round talent, and we got him at the very top of the 2nd round. I like his size...having a 6'3" guy in the secondary capable of running with most NFL WRs is a luxury. Time will tell if he will ever reach his maximum potential based on his physical talent.

I did like the fact that the kid was the only guy who stuck around until Day 2 to hear his name called, spending the day working out rather than on the town. Football seems important to him. He isn't a character risk. He came out with all the right words immediately when Green Bay became his new home. While I would've preferred standing pat in the first round and nabbing a pass rusher, I think King could be a valuable contributor.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

So what do you want him to do? Stop drafting cornerbacks?
    Apparently. Folks here and elsewhere were all saying we need a corner. Ted takes arguably the best one left at #33 and folks here bitch about it. I seriously doubt TT can do anything right for some. Maybe we should just tank the 2017 season so we can pick in the top 10 in 2018? Or will Ted F that one up too?

What we need is a #1 Corner. Randall and Rollins, and more to my liking, Gunter, might turn out to be decent 2nd or 3rd Corners, but unless they play a whole lot better than they ever have before, they aren't #1 Top Notch Out-On-An-Island Corners (Gunter is the closest to that of what we had last season). I don't know if Kevin King is that; I don't even know for sure he is the best Corner in the draft named King, but from what I read, I'm hopeful. On the negative side, a rule of thumb for me is that D Players from great D teams tend to be overrated ....... and what did we get? One of three first round Corner picks from the same great D team - who arguably each made the others seem better than they are.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    What we need is a #1 Corner. Randall and Rollins, and more to my liking, Gunter, might turn out to be decent 2nd or 3rd Corners, but unless they play a whole lot better than they ever have before, they aren't #1 Top Notch Out-On-An-Island Corners (Gunter is the closest to that of what we had last season). I don't know if Kevin King is that; I don't even know for sure he is the best Corner in the draft named King, but from what I read, I'm hopeful. On the negative side, a rule of thumb for me is that D Players from great D teams tend to be overrated ....... and what did we get? One of three first round Corner picks from the same great D team - who arguably each made the others seem better than they are.
    I think a lot of folks in here missing something. A no. 1 corner and a shutdown, on an island corner, are 2 very very different things. There are very few 'island' corners in this league. There are 32 no. 1 corners in this league.

You don't find 'island' CBs drafting in the 20s every year. A lot of you peoples expectations are way over board. Good grief.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I said from day one that the Packers first need was to try and find a number 1 corner for this team, secondly they needed a pass rusher. Still no pass rusher but I gotta say at least Ted addressed a huge hole on this roster. We can't predict how King is going to turn out, so you can't really hate this pick.

Personally I thought Awuzie was the better defensive back and had more tools in his box but Ted did his job.

Quote Originally Posted by BZnDallas View Post
    I think a lot of folks in here missing something. A no. 1 corner and a shutdown, on an island corner, are 2 very very different things. There are very few 'island' corners in this league. There are 32 no. 1 corners in this league.

You don't find 'island' CBs drafting in the 20s every year. A lot of you peoples expectations are way over board. Good grief.
    OK, let's just say somebody who SHOULD be a #1 Corner.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Rat-A-Tat-Tat Veteran BZnDallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    OK, let's just say somebody who SHOULD be a #1 Corner.
    I think Kevin King gets every possible opportunity to be our no. 1 corner. Who knows what he develops into. He'll be the one to cover the Julio's and the Dez's. Maybe not at first, but he'll be given the opportunity soon.
    Now what y'all know about dem Texas boys
    Comin' down in candied toys, smokin' weed and talkin' noise!!!

Happy with this pick. He's the guy I wanted with their own 2nd round pick, but maybe it was a pipe dream he's last to that spot.

Zach Cunningham almost fell to the Pack, I wonder if they would've stayed put and listened to Brandon if he had?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Quote Originally Posted by Bretsky View Post
    Time will tell if Tedology works
    I've been saying for a long time with the draft being so deep at CB you have to go with an OLB/Edge Rusher in round one cause there will be plenty of secondary help in runds 2-4. I think I was right. Plenty of very capable round 2-3 CB's and it's likely some will be as capable as King. Meanwhile the pot of edge rushers are pretty empty and it appears TT doesn't view that as much of a need and instead is using a round one and round two pick at the exact same position he went for two years ago

Consider me ET right now....calling out..............

ELIOTTTT
    ELIOTTTT
    Or TT doesn't have a high grade on ANY of the edge rushers available at the point you made this post.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Here's how Bob McGinn can drive you nuts. In his article on how the signing of Evans at guard freed Thompson up to use his picks to address other needs (he spells "other needs" as "c-o-r-n-e-r"), he says this about the draft's crop of defensive backs: "an exceptional scout such as Thompson recognized months ago just how talented and deep the pool of defensive backs would be."

Then, a few lines later, he says this: "It’s hard to say why Thompson was willing to take the risk and trade four slots down and out of the first round. With Tre’Davious White gone to Buffalo at 27, my sense at that point was it had to be Kevin King or bust at cornerback.

Okay...so the first point you make is that this was an exceptionally deep class at corner, then in the next breath you say had he not gotten King then he was screwed.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack