Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Official Kevin King 2017 Second Round Choice

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    I think McGinn believes that King was the last available in the first tier of defensive backs. I think Thompson would have taken White if he had fallen to the Packers instead of traded but at the end of the day I would probably have taken King plus the fourth round pick.

I doubt Ted trades back unless he had another CB or LB in mind. That is the method he prefers and has said so. Bob's point is almost self-refuting; if it was King or bust, he doesn't move.

Thompson has also said they don't spend an appreciable amount of time trying to figure out what other teams will do.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...every-nfl-pick

No. 33 Green Bay Packers: Kevin King, Cornerback, Washington

Strengths: Height, jam-press coverage.

Weaknesses: Tackling, short-area quickness, injury history.

There are a lot of players like King in this year’s draft class:

Extra-tall cornerbacks;
    Who were part of secondaries chock-full of NFL prospects;
    Who lack the physicality to play safety;
    But don’t possess the lateral quickness to be shutdown cornerbacks;
    Yet tested well at the combine in shuttle-and-cone drills, so maybe they are quicker than they looked on tape.
    King falls in this category, as do Quincy Wilson, Ahkello Witherspoon and some others. It’s hard to tell what you are getting with them. Matchup nickel defenders? The next generation of shutdown cornerbacks? Fringe special teamers who were college system products?

The fate of players like King and the others may come down to what happens the first time they try to bring a tight end to the ground in training camp.

King played some slot and safety at Washington. That versatility will help him get on the field. He’s a special athlete, but special athletes just aren’t that special in this year’s cornerback draft.

The Packers allowed 153 points during a four-game losing streak last season which coincided with a rash of injuries in the secondary. It was covered by much of the media as an Aaron Rodgers slump, because "Famous Quarterback Suddenly Stinks" is a buzzier headline than "Several Cornerbacks Injured." The Packers know they need depth and upgrades in the secondary, even though the unit got healthy and rebounded later in the season.

I have several cornerbacks rated higher than King. But overall, this is a sound selection.

Grade: B
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

a guy a pff said king could be the next richard sherman.

It's an integral part of Capers' system of compensation and schemes to have at least one shutdown Corner. You never know if somebody is that until they do it on the field in the pros, but King shows a lot of promise IMO. The fact that he hasn't played Safety, doesn't look like a Safety, and almost certainly won't for the Packers, I see that as a good thing, considering our experience with different types of Corners.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?