Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Official Josh Jones 2017 Second Round Choice

Official Josh Jones 2017 Second Round Choice

Packers 2017 2nd Round brought to you by Stan Lee.

Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Josh Jones, 7th rated safe according to pSparq (measure of athletic ability), 1 standard deviation above average.

PLAYER OVERVIEW: Josh Jones

A three-year starter at NC State, Jones started at strong safety his first two seasons for the Wolfpack before moving to free safety in 2016, spending most of his time in the boundary and seeing his productive skyrocket. He also saw snaps at cornerback and linebacker and lined up all over the formation as NC State's version of Jalen Ramsey. While he isn't the physical marvel that made Ramsey a top-five pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, Jones is a big, rangy athlete with the play strength, versatility and developing football intelligence that translate well to the NFL game.
    After redshirting in 2013, he became a starter at strong safety as a freshman in 2014 (eight starts) and finished second in the ACC with four interceptions. Jones started 11 games as a sophomore in 2015 and posted 64 tackles, three passes defended and one interception. He started all 13 games at free safety as a junior in 2016 and led the team with 109 tackles, 11 passes defended and three interceptions, but was overlooked for the postseason All-ACC team.

STRENGTHS: Looks the part with his height, length and build. Explodes out of a cannon on his tackling angles, accelerating in a flash. Speedy in pursuit to track down ballcarriers from behind. Aggressive hug-and-finish tackler in the open field. Creates stopping power with his downhill demeanor. Physical take-on skills to attack and tear through blocks. Evades blocks with bobs and weaves, finding the ballcarrier in the lane. Quick diagnose skills to sense what is about to happen, keeping his eyes on the prize. Steady at the catch point to find the ball and finish interceptions. Versatile experience across the secondary, including inside cornerback and both safety spots (32 career starts). Improved focus, work habits and maturity in 2016, showing better accountability.

WEAKNESSES: Upright in his movements, lacking sink to smoothly redirect his momentum. Late to flip and attach to receivers in coverage, losing momentum to wasted steps. Bites on the backfield action. Anticipates well, but he is still learning how to recognize various limbs on the route tree. Struggles with double moves and combos. Needs to tweak his tackling technique to consistently wrap and finish. Pad level can be problematic at times. Wild hands when taking on contact, allowing blockers to attack his chest and drive him backwards.

--Dane Brugler (2/5/17)
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I'd like to see him play ILB in Nickle and dime. Would have crazy speed on the middle of our defense then!

29 in red made a lot of plays in that video.

El Jardinero Rat HOFer MadtownPacker's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When is TT going to draft a white guy?

I think this guy is supposed to be the replacement for Micah Hyde even though he's not the same kind of player. He's the kind of big hard-hitting Safety many seem to crave. Myself, I prefer a Safety with strong cover skills. Bottom line, if we had to get a player of this type, Jones seems to be a really good one.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Jones looks like a linebacker too me. 220lbs already, frame to get bigger. I'd start him there.

It's ridiculous ILB speed. Exactly what we need! I'd keep Burnett and haha around.

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    They used Morgan Burnett a lot at the line of scrimmage and lining up over guards. Burnett doesn't seem to have the build to continue to do that and I think Jones is a perfect fit for that role in 2017. He has to have good vision and still under cut or go over the top of linemen and that is tricky because if you are guessing ala Clay Matthews you take yourself and other teammates out of the play.

This year he replaces Hyde, next year he replaces Burnett who is at the end of his second contract.

Tex, you only need one safety with cover skills, and that is haha. This was a good now and later piick
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHarrell View Post
    I'd like to see him play ILB in Nickle and dime. Would have crazy speed on the middle of our defense then!
    From strictly a size/speed standpoint I would agree with you, but watch some game tape and I think you'll rethink that.

Specifically the Vandy game... my God, was he bad. Couldn't diagnose, press the edge, disengage... in short, he was completely useless.

When they drafted him, roving the underneath zone was my first thought too, but after watching some of his tape I'm not sure he can handle it. Hell need to be really coached up, and I have exactly no faith in our defensive coaching staff.
    wist

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...every-nfl-pick

No. 61 Green Bay Packers: Josh Jones, Safety, North Carolina State

Strengths: Size, speed, experience, versatility.

Weaknesses: Instincts, gamble-and-guess habits.

Jones is a 220-pound safety who ran a 4.41-second combine 40 (with other outstanding drills). He started for a major program from his freshman year forward and lined up everywhere from the box to the slot to free safety for the Wolfpack. For all of this, he received almost no predraft buzz.

OK, this is a great safety class, so standing out from the crowd was more difficult than usual. But Jones’ combine results alone should have made him a draftnik binky. But no. It was “Jabrill Peppers” this and “Obi Melifonwu” that.

Maybe the name was the problem. “Josh Jones” may not be a cursed name like Mike Williams, but it is generic, suggesting that Jones is Defensive Prospect X and not Crazy Athletic Harrison Smith-Like Guy. Jones needs a proper 2017 safety name, the kind that combines a religious figure from history with a spicy food and lots of vowels.

From now on, Jones will be known as either Confucius Habanero or Zarathustra Hotwing.

On second thought, it won’t take long for Jones’ play to make a name for itself.

Packers GM Ted Thompson is stuck in "draft for the secondary" mode right now. It may not accurately reflect what we perceive to be the Packers' needs. But at least he is grabbing some good players.

Grade: B

Maybe the name was the problem. “Josh Jones” may not be a cursed name like Mike Williams, but it is generic, suggesting that Jones is Defensive Prospect X and not Crazy Athletic Harrison Smith-Like Guy. Jones needs a proper 2017 safety name, the kind that combines a religious figure from history with a spicy food and lots of vowels.

From now on, Jones will be known as either Confucius Habanero or Zarathustra Hotwing.
    You could go with Jesus Serrano, but that might be one of Madtown's relatives.

guy at pff thinks he'll mostly be playing lb.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    This year he replaces Hyde, next year he replaces Burnett who is at the end of his second contract.

Tex, you only need one safety with cover skills, and that is haha. This was a good now and later piick
    I'm not sure I agree with that - both the needing only one thing and the coverage skills of Haha. What I do agree with, though, is that he will get a lot of work as a de facto LB for the Packers, and that's a good thing.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Player one:
    6 ft, 1 in
    222 lbs
    32 3/8 arms
    9.25 hands
    4.38 40-yd
    1.52 10-yd
    2.52 20-yd
    4.26 SS
    7.13 3 cone
    35.5 vert
    10 ft broad jump
    16 reps

Player two:
    6'2"
    220 lbs
    32 arms
    9.375 hands
    4.41 40-yd
    unavailabe 10-yd
    unavailabe 20-yd
    4.40 SS
    7.05 3 Cone
    37.5 vertical
    11 ft broad jump
    20 reps

One of these players in Josh Jones. The other one is a current NFL star. Major hint: Josh Jones wasn't drafted to play safety. He'll probably be listed a safety for semantics, though.

Shazier?

Dione jones last year

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    Deion Jones? That's the comparison that came to mind for me when I saw video of Josh. If he were making the same switch Deion made we'll know right away. He'll be at least 230 by August.

No doubt the theme of this draft is speed.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.