Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Official Josh Jones 2017 Second Round Choice

Deion Jones is the answer. I'm impressed. It's probably unfair to say he was drafted to play ILB, but I think he'll spend a lot of time there. Let's hope it goes as well as it did for Deion Jones.

Blog Entries
    I'd say he has great potential as an extra man in the box but if he's going to actually play ILB he'll need to be able to hold up against the run. That'll be a big test at 220 and new to the position in the NFL. Eventually perhaps but I don't think that's real likely for awhile. It'll be interesting to see if Burnett does some of that first. He'll match up against big TE's as a nickel/dime pass defender but not as an ILB as much I don't think...

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...every-nfl-pick

No. 61 Green Bay Packers: Josh Jones, Safety, North Carolina State

Strengths: Size, speed, experience, versatility.

Weaknesses: Instincts, gamble-and-guess habits.

Jones is a 220-pound safety who ran a 4.41-second combine 40 (with other outstanding drills). He started for a major program from his freshman year forward and lined up everywhere from the box to the slot to free safety for the Wolfpack. For all of this, he received almost no predraft buzz.

OK, this is a great safety class, so standing out from the crowd was more difficult than usual. But Jones’ combine results alone should have made him a draftnik binky. But no. It was “Jabrill Peppers” this and “Obi Melifonwu” that.

Maybe the name was the problem. “Josh Jones” may not be a cursed name like Mike Williams, but it is generic, suggesting that Jones is Defensive Prospect X and not Crazy Athletic Harrison Smith-Like Guy. Jones needs a proper 2017 safety name, the kind that combines a religious figure from history with a spicy food and lots of vowels.

From now on, Jones will be known as either Confucius Habanero or Zarathustra Hotwing.

On second thought, it won’t take long for Jones’ play to make a name for itself.

Packers GM Ted Thompson is stuck in "draft for the secondary" mode right now. It may not accurately reflect what we perceive to be the Packers' needs. But at least he is grabbing some good players.

Grade: B
    I said it in the other thread, I'm gonna make it stick. Josh "the ghostpepper" Jones.
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Ryan Wood‏Verified
    @ByRyanWood

Josh Jones, playing nickel LB, makes nice play cutting underneath TE Beau Sandland to break up pass. Good closing speed for #Packers rookie.

Wes Hodkiewicz‏Verified
    @WesHod

Josh Jones has had a few nice breakups thus far #Packers
    Last edited by gbgary; 05-23-2017 at 12:52 PM.

It's early, but he's kind of the talk of the defense so far.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...dded-practice/

“Josh Jones is exactly what we thought he was,” defensive lineman Mike Daniels said on Saturday. “He comes in, and he’s quiet, but he shows up with bad attitude and that’s what you need out there on the defensive side of the ball.”Jones has been playing a hybrid role at linebacker and safety early in camp. His size, speed and physicality could make him a tone-setting weapon for the Packers defense, especially in the middle of the field.

The rookie also made plays against the run on Saturday, including a slicing tackle for loss against running back Aaron Jones to end a team run drill. No. 27 seems to show up with one or two impressive plays every single practice.

Daniels and Jones appear cut from the same cloth.

“Just his demeanor alone, screams out that he’s here for business,” Daniels said. “That’s always welcomed, especially from young guys.”

I'm working with a little more than a chub from hearing that praise from Daniels.

Hopefully the bite is as good as the bark.

Second round safeties for the win.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I think the talent is there, it just comes down to coaching the kid up, and how they use him. That said, it will be a miracle if they don't make a mess of this kid... I have absolutely no faith that the Packers defensive coaching staff can even find the men's room, let alone develop a roving LB/S.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I have absolutely no faith that the Packers defensive coaching staff.
    Well fuck, that's a shocker. Next you'll be telling me that Rut thinks Thompson purposefully picks players who get injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3irty1 View Post
    This is museum quality stupidity.

Blog Entries
    I know.

Give it a little time, Wist.

Let us sheeple fan-types have our pre-season buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Well fuck, that's a shocker. Next you'll be telling me that Rut thinks Thompson purposefully picks players who get injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I know.

Sorry guys, but the facts and history don't bode well for our defense - sadly.

I would actually argue that if we had Wade Phillips as our DC, we would be the favorite to win the SB... and I'd be stoking the engine of that bandwagon; but, as long as dunderdummy is in charge, we'll just keep plodding along at 10-6, with more ignominious playoff exits. It is what it is...
    wist

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Sorry guys, but the facts and history don't bode well for our defense - sadly.

I would actually argue that if we had Wade Phillips as our DC, we would be the favorite to win the SB... and I'd be stoking the engine of that bandwagon; but, as long as dunderdummy is in charge, we'll just keep plodding along at 10-6, with more ignominious playoff exits. It is what it is...
    Your story has become tiresome

8-8
    13-3
    6-10
    11-5
    10-6
    15-1
    11-5
    8-7
    12-4
    10-6
    10-6

I have never met a playoff loss I liked. When you make the playoffs 8 straight years, and you don't win the SB every year, you will suffer playoff losses. You know you wouldn't trade the last 8 years for any team but the Patsies. And if you did, you'd be an idiot.
    "Never, never ever support a punk like mraynrand. Rather be as I am and feel real sympathy for his sickness." - Woodbuck

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    It's early, but he's kind of the talk of the defense so far.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017...dded-practice/
    He certainly has solid athleticism.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

I think the talent is there, it just comes down to coaching the kid up, and how they use him. That said, it will be a miracle if they don't make a mess of this kid... I have absolutely no faith that the Packers defensive coaching staff can even find the men's room, let alone develop a roving LB/S.
    I always respect a man that can tell it the way he does see it.
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?

with 11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus
    Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    I always respect a man that can tell it the way he does see it.
    You just like him because he agrees with you.

Quote Originally Posted by KYPack View Post
    I know.

Buuuuuuzzzz !

Quote Originally Posted by mraynrand View Post
    You just like him because he agrees with you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6RoOwSKI7M