Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2017 Packers Third Round Pick Montravius Adams

Official 2017 Packers Third Round Pick Montravius Adams

Finally, a name I had never heard before.

PLAYER OVERVIEW: Montravius Adams

One of the top defensive line recruits a few years ago, Adams started 10 games as a sophomore in 2014 and led the team in quarterback hurries (17), adding 8.0 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks and 43 total tackles.
    With the Tigers' crowded defensive tackle depth chart in 2014, Adams split snaps on the edge and inside, but with Gabe Wright, Angelo Blackson, Jeffrey Whitaker and Ben Bradley no longer on the roster, Adams is now a veteran on the line and a player the Auburn coaches have high expectations for in 2015.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

He carries his 296-pound frame very well with the initial quickness and lateral agility to attack gaps and penetrate the backfield. Adams has been dinged for his lack of consistency in the past, but new defensive coordinator Will Muschamp should be able to get the best out of the gifted lineman.
    --Dane Brugler (8/17/15)
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

He is 21st on D Line for pSparq athletic measurement. Very average. Likely to be an interior and not EDGE guy. If he play 5tech, would imagine base 3-4 only.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    He is 21st on D Line for pSparq athletic measurement. Very average. Likely to be an interior and not EDGE guy. If he play 5tech, would imagine base 3-4 only.
    Pretty athletic. Had the best 40 time at the combine among 300+ lb DT's. 3rd among DT's overall. Only average on bench press. Still, his success won't be decided by measurables.

I noticed in that clip he used his body a lot like a doorknob jam, sticking his feet back and just hanging on for dear life. Is that a produce of strength deficiency or technique deficiency?
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by Smidgeon View Post
    I noticed in that clip he used his body a lot like a doorknob jam, sticking his feet back and just hanging on for dear life. Is that a produce of strength deficiency or technique deficiency?
    I think its either lack of leg strength or bend and snap. However, when he uses his arms to get off that block, he is effective. So he has some upper body strength.

He just can't get into a shoving match with the Guard or Center and not use his arms to get off the block.

He gets moved by double teams though not terribly. He has some quickness off the line. If he remembers to use his hands and arms, might be able to rush the passer.

Bluck
    wist

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Bluck
    Yeah, I mean Damn, what was TT thinking? I don't get this pick at all.

When they kept showing their war room, I thought who is that senile old man walking around like he owns the place. Why, that was none other than the architect of the Green Bay Packers.

We are doomed...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    OBNDY, Wist, et al., what is it you don't like about the pick? You don't see where he fits into the defense? You don't think he has a chance to be a productive NFL player?
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    OBNDY, Wist, et al., what is it you don't like about the pick? You don't see where he fits into the defense? You don't think he has a chance to be a productive NFL player?
    He has a chance. But who knows if he'll remind us of Mike Daniels or Khyri Thornton? He seems to have good quickness off the line, but so did Thornton and Worthy. A lot of college DT's look good on film because they're quicker than the Guards they line up against. Then they get to the NFL and it's a different story. He played better as a senior than as a junior. Hopefully that's a trend.

I think they felt he has more upside than some of the other D lineman.

Senior Rat All-Pro oldbutnotdeadyet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolina_Packer View Post
    I am of the camp that we had way more pressing needs, edge rusher, Guard, running back, that to pick a relatively unknown interior lineman seemed somewhat odd...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    They traded up to get Worthy. There are no guarantees of translation. Getting hurt early in their careers derailed Worthy. I recall Thornton was hurt too, but many here projected that they just found out he couldn't play. With this guy having a 4'8 40, and some quickness, hopefully he can be an upfield penetrator, with a chance of living in the backfield. I also hope he's a willing run stopper.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I like this pick. No one is left at this point in the draft who is guaranteed to be an immediate starter. This kid needs some serious coaching and hopefully has a decent work ethic. However, his physical talent would suggest he could've gone much higher. He has a higher ceiling than just about anyone else taken at the end of the 3rd round. Is the kid a project? Yes. However, he's also a big body that we need in terms of depth on the DL. There certainly wasn't an edge rusher available that would see the field as often as this kid probably will this year. If he can be part of the DL rotation and get 10-15 snaps a game as a rookie, this will have been a good pick.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joemailman View Post
    Pretty athletic. Had the best 40 time at the combine among 300+ lb DT's. 3rd among DT's overall.
    40 time is absolutely meaningless for DL. How often are those guys going to be running full speed for 40 yards? The only thing a good 40 time tells you is that the kid is in shape, which is a good thing to know.

The only timed measurements that work for those guys are short burst speed and acceleration drills.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

40 time is actually somewhat meaningful for linemen. It shows how much burst they have off the gun. Burst is pretty important in the NFL Especially if you look at their 10-yard takeoff

Physically, this guy is first round quality. It's up to coaches and maybe other players to get him to play up to that ability. I MUCH prefer a player like this - assuming he's motivated - rather than somebody like Guion for example. Having him in the line with Daniels and Clark would seem to be really good.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Quote Originally Posted by texaspackerbacker View Post
    Physically, this guy is first round quality. It's up to coaches and maybe other players to get him to play up to that ability. I MUCH prefer a player like this - assuming he's motivated - rather than somebody like Guion for example. Having him in the line with Daniels and Clark would seem to be really good.
    Nah, I don't think so. He's not testing like Tarzan and playing like Jane. He's ranked 21st athletically by pSparq. That is not terrible, he is literally the definition of average here, but its not remarkable for the third round.

His broad jump is lower than all but three lineman rated ahead of him athletically (8.83 feet). One was worse, two were tied. Its worse than than 4 of the five behind him.

His bench (22 reps) is toward the low end (18 above him beat it). His short shuttle was worst among the 21.

On the more positive side, his three cone was beat only by 10 of the 20. And his 40 was good, including a 10 yard split that was only beat by the top two D lineman (Wormley, Findlater).

He needs to get stronger and more explosive. I don't know how to distinguish between 3 cone and SS, but one of them is not bad, the other might improve.
    Last edited by pbmax; 04-29-2017 at 01:15 PM.

He looks stiff in all his videos. His torso looks like he had metal rods up his back and he turns his back to the o line a lot. That's the parts I didn't like. Another boom bust pick I suppose. I'm very meh on this one. I like the first 2. Time for a RB.

Quote Originally Posted by oldbutnotdeadyet View Post
    Yeah, I mean Damn, what was TT thinking? I don't get this pick at all.

When they kept showing their war room, I thought who is that senile old man walking around like he owns the place. Why, that was none other than the architect of the Green Bay Packers.

We are doomed...
    No kidding. The funny thing is that there are still posters here that don't see it.

I wonder mmmmm ....are these the guy's that would see 'a certain whhhaaaattt' serve a second term.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau