Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Official Day 3 Of The 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    first time since 1974 that the packers have drafted 3 rb's in one draft

kinda smells of desperation, TT making damn sure he has a quality backup RB

no way we keep 5 rb's on the final roster, but TT doesn't like cutting rookie draft picks
    Seventh round is a grab bag anyway. Hard to say you are picking anyone in the 7th for need. I agree they want to avoid the pitfall of the Crockett group, where none of the holdovers came through.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    first time since 1974 that the packers have drafted 3 rb's in one draft

kinda smells of desperation, TT making damn sure he has a quality backup RB

no way we keep 5 rb's on the final roster, but TT doesn't like cutting rookie draft picks
    And everyone keeps leaving Devante Mays off the list! I think it's more likely that they carry 5 RBs (4+1FB) than 6WRs this year. I think they carried the extra WR last year hopping Janis would because the player they hopped, I'd be shocked if they kept him around again. OTOH Bush lasted how long?
    --
    Imagine for a moment a world without hypothetical situations...

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Aside from Vince Biegel in the 4th round, did the Packers do anything else to address pass rush? I would have been more in favor of a second pass rusher in the draft vs. a third running back. Draft one less running back, get another pass rusher, wherever the player fits the pick, and pick up another free agent running back post draft. There is likely more free agent running back help to be found at this point than pass rush help.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Where there any real good EDGE guys we could have taken after the 4th round?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    The Auburn guy was there but he had injury concerns with knee and hip issues

Pass rush and coverage feel like a chicken and egg scenario to me. Watch the Redskins game from last year. Cousins was holding the ball 3 seconds max. Most of the time it was 5 steps and fire and he had guys open all the time. Not much a pass rush can do. Maybe an improved secondary helps the pass rush more than we know right now.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    Pass rush and coverage feel like a chicken and egg scenario to me. Watch the Redskins game from last year. Cousins was holding the ball 3 seconds max. Most of the time it was 5 steps and fire and he had guys open all the time. Not much a pass rush can do. Maybe an improved secondary helps the pass rush more than we know right now.
    I wonder how many times during their struggles last season was the shitty play more about communications issues on defense vs. the physical limitations of the players on the field. If you don't know exactly where you are supposed to line up or where your responsibilities are supposed to take you as a young player, you can take false steps and get burned like a $2 steak.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Packers had no consistent pass rush and no coverage ability so it is really hard to place the blame on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zool View Post
    that's when you go into press coverage. we don't do that for some reason...except once in a while they let gunter do it. when i say press i mean actually jam at the line, not just attempt to stay close.

The Packers pressure numbers were far better than their coverage numbers. Someone with a PFF subscription could post the pressure numbers, but no freely available info I have contradicts that. So concerns about pass rush are understandable, but they were a magnitude less significant than coverage problems last year.

Press man is not for every CB. Wth a weak an injured backfield, they played a lot of zone after Shields went down and others got injured.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Not's not pretend that Thompson won't cut a draft pick. I doubt they keep 4 RBs over 6 WRs with the depth at WR. The three RBs are all late round picks, so it's not like they have three sure things and took the fourth guy. I think it's more likely they drafted the three hoping that two show something.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by woodbuck27 View Post
    Round 4 and Pick NO. 1 ....Packers (From Browns) Biegel, Vince OLB 6'3" 246 Wisconsin 5.2

One of the popular choices here. Sadly not the RB I hoped for Samaje Perine.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...m_campaign=nfl

Late-Round Steals - Samaje Perine

Let's start in Washington, where running back Samaje Perine was a fourth-round selection and could easily win the starting job over Robert Kelley next season.

Perine was dynamic at Oklahoma, managing to rush for over 1,000 yards in every season there despite sharing the starting job with Joe Mixon. And he's a player the team apparently was high on, per Grant Paulsen of 106.7 The Fan:

Grant Paulsen ✔ @granthpaulsen
    A #Redskins source told me pre-draft that Perine was the team's highest rated RB after Cook, Fournette and McCaffrey. They got their guy. ... 12:34 PM - 29 Apr 2017

Brad Evans of Yahoo Sports likened him to a running back (Jordan Howard) who excelled in his rookie season:

Brad Evans ✔ @YahooNoise
    Compare Samaje Perine to Jordan Howard. Washington may have just scored itself a seriously good RB on the cheap. Kelley on notice.
    12:40 PM - 29 Apr 2017

Comment woodbuck27:

It isn't often that there is a potential draft pick I hoped so much that TT would pick. At the top of Round 4 a lot of Media Experts on the NFL Network (take that for what it's worth)... but these people were calling for TT to go RB and 'No Brainer Pick' ... Samaje Perine.

TT went local and 'D' and LBer Pass Rush Prospect (Vince Biegel) and soon after Perine came off the Board to Washington.

I have this left. This man RB Samaje Perine will be a good watch for me in this upcoming season.
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 05-01-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Watch him prove to be mediocrity personified.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
    Where there any real good EDGE guys we could have taken after the 4th round?
    YES. THERE WAS ONE

VINCE FRICKIN BIEGEL !!!!!!!!!
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

I don't understand the fascination of getting all hung up on certain players in the draft, especially one particular player. Perine was a decent prospect but so were 5 or 6 other running backs in his tier. I was surprised when Pittsburgh took James Connor in the third round but it was a good story and I think Connor has a high ceiling after coming back from Lymphoma, but who is to say that he is going to any better or worse than any other running back taken in this draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    I don't understand the fascination of getting all hung up on certain players in the draft, especially one particular player. Perine was a decent prospect but so were 5 or 6 other running backs in his tier. I was surprised when Pittsburgh took James Connor in the third round but it was a good story and I think Connor has a high ceiling after coming back from Lymphoma, but who is to say that he is going to any better or worse than any other running back taken in this draft?
    We are!
    No longer the member of any fan clubs. I'm tired of jinxing players out of the league and into obscurity.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    i'll bet this is ted's last draft. he's painful to listen to speak. 64 but seems 84.
    You saw it and I saw it .
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau