Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Day 3 Of The 2017 NFL Draft Thread

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Welp, there's your RB - Jamal Williams

Jamaal Williams - wouldn't have been my choice, but not a horrible pick
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

OK so TT does pick a RB but I'm not overjoyed about this selection.:

Round 4 Pick NO. 28 (134 Overall) Packers Williams, Jamaal RB 6'0" 212 BYU 5.3

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profil...ams?id=2558204

OVERVIEW

Williams led the Cougars in rushing in all four seasons in which he played, even though he has had off-field and injury issues during his time in Provo. The all-state pick from California played immediately as a true freshman, starting eight games and rushing for 755 yards and 12 touchdowns on 166 carries. He also added 315 yards and a touchdown on 27 receptions. Williams was an FBS All-Independent team pick as the full-time starter in 2013, gaining 1,233 yards and scoring seven times on 217 totes (18-125 receiving). His junior season was derailed by a knee injury and suspension for multiple team code violations, including an underage drinking citation. He rushed for 518 yards and four scores in seven games that year, still leading the team in rushing. Williams sat out the 2015 season entirely after withdrawing from school for personal reasons, always intending to return for his senior season the following fall. He carried the mail for the Cougars 234 times in 2016, accumulating 1,375 yards and scoring 12 times, though he missed three games with an ankle injury. He finished fifth in the country with 137.5 yards per game last fall, in part thanks to a 287-yard, five-touchdown effort against Toledo before the ankle injury occurred.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Carries NFL size with a muscular build and good height. Able to bend at point of impact and attack with decent leverage. Uses his stiff arm as a weapon to escape tackles on an angle. Decisive runner. Sees it and goes. Not into dancing. Has a functional spin move he uses to spin out of tackles and grind out a few extra yards. Keeps his feet churning through contact. Above average ball security with a fumble rate of 140 (one fumble every 140 carries).

WEAKNESSES

Bulls through running lanes crashing into blockers rather than shifting with the contours. Doesn't have athleticism to create early yardage for himself. Missing a functional jump cut for sudden shift from gap to gap once line of scrimmage muddies. Hit or miss with run lanes he chooses. Excessive forward lean creates issues with contact balance. Too easily felled by arm tackles. Banger, but not a tackle breaker. Doesn't have the speed to turn the corner when runs spill outside.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 4-5

SOURCES TELL US "He's not very dynamic as a runner so he needs to carve out a niche for himself as a physical backup who can go cover on kickoffs. He hasn't been a special teams guy but he better start." - AFC West regional scout

NFL COMPARISON Stepfan Taylor

BOTTOM LINE His NFL size and physical nature give him a shot to make the back-end of the running back depth chart, but his inability to create for himself with broken tackles and elusiveness puts a ceiling on his draft value.

-Lance Zierlein
    Last edited by woodbuck27; 04-29-2017 at 12:53 PM.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Not impressed with this pick. I think there other players better at this spot then this guy. So, Whatever.

Senior Rat HOFer Carolina_Packer's Avatar
    I was thinking more of a Marlon Mack who does have better feet, better athleticism to make you miss. Woodbuck mentioned Brian Hill out of Wyoming. I like him too, as he seemed to be a poor man's Joe Mixon with size and speed. Well, we have Jamaal Williams now. I hope he is a difference maker.
    "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." -Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CutlerquitRat HOFer
    He will be a great change of pace to Jamaal Charles
    Swede: My expertise in this area is extensive. The essential difference between a "battleship" and an "aircraft carrier" is that an aircraft carrier requires five direct hits to sink, but it takes only four direct hits to sink a battleship.

Nice. He was my sleeper pick. Reminds a bit of James Starks. Not quite as athletic coming out.
    Last edited by HarveyWallbangers; 04-29-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

smallish (smaller than monty by 20 lbs +-), seems tenacious. this pick pretty much confirms Rip is the banger.

Fucking horse shit

RB sucks

Ted shitting the bed today

It sure looks to me like TT blew it in this round.

He could have taken a far better RB at the top of this round ie Samaje Perine and likely secured LB Vince Biegel with his last pick in this round.

Ted Thompson P L E A S E retire.
    ** Since 2006 3 X Pro Pickem' Champion; 4 X Runner-Up and 3 X 3rd place.
    ** To download Jesus Loves Me ring tones, you'll need a cell phone mame
    ** If God doesn't fish, play poker or pull for " the Packers ", exactly what does HE do with his buds?
    ** Rather than love, money or fame - give me TRUTH: Henry D. Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon494 View Post
    Ted shitting the bed today
    i'll bet this is ted's last draft. he's painful to listen to speak. 64 but seems 84.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    smallish (smaller than monty by 20 lbs +-), seems tenacious. this pick pretty much confirms Rip is the banger.
    Slightly taller and 9 pounds lighter than Montgomery coming out.
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by red View Post
    the problem with taking mack would be, who is your shot yardage guy? the fumbler, rip?

thats where blount would be a real nice addition
    Rip shouldn't be an answer at RB. Dude will always be remembered for the fumble.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Slightly taller and 9 pounds lighter than Montgomery coming out.
    i bet they had monty put on a little weight this off season...muscle and cushion. lol

don't think he's the 216 he's listed at anymore.

I just read the blurb on him on NFL.com and apparently Jeremiah has compared him to Starks. I had not heard the comparison before I posted. That actually made me feel pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    i bet they had monty put on a little weight this off season...muscle and cushion. lol
    Monty is big enough for his height. He doesn't need to put on more weight. Weight wise he's heavier than average.

Just not very excited about the last 3 picks. Adams, Biegel, Williams... I hope they prove me wrong and end up being good players. Isn't the first and won't be the last time I disagree with whatever TT is doing so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.