Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Official Vince Biegel 2017 Fourth Round Choice

The way he played, he looked like a Green Bay Packer edge rusher to me - a dollar short and a day late.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    The way he played, he looked like a Green Bay Packer edge rusher to me - a dollar short and a day late.
    Don't under estimate the value of team chemistry.

Hands-to-the-face Rat HOFer 3irty1's Avatar
    I'm excited to see what Biegel can do in the NFL. This talk of his supposed low-ceiling makes no sense. This man's an NFL athlete:

6'03"
    246 lbs
    forty-yard dash: 4.67
    three-cone: 6.92
    20-yard SS: 4.30 (combine) 4.15 (proday)
    Bench Press: 21 reps
    Vert jump: 33.5 inches
    Broad jump: 9' 10"

He moves like Haha Clinton-Dix but carries 30 extra pounds. This is a size-speed prospect. What Watt has over him (other than name) is his jumps and age. TJ's vert and broad jump are spectacular for his size, he's got the explosive ability to be as good as he wants rushing the passer. Biegel is unlikely to become the double digit sack monster that TJ could be but he's not some try-hard tweener either. He's got the attitude and the athletic traits of a difference maker from sideline to sideline and in coverage.
    70% of the Earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Al Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by SMBASS View Post
    I stole this find from another site and thought it was pretty interesting:

Since 2005, in the first four rounds of the draft, there have only been nine college pass-rushers who have:

posted at least a 4.67-second 40-yard dash time
    were at least 245 pounds or heavier
    posted at least a 6.92-second three-cone time
    Here are those players:

Von Miller, second pick in 2011 draft
    Vic Beasley, eighth pick in 2015 draft
    Anthony Barr, ninth pick in 2014 draft
    DeMarcus Ware, 11th pick in 2005 draft
    Bruce Irvin, 15th pick in 2012 draft
    Connor Barwin, 46th pick in 2009 draft
    Cliff Avril, 92nd pick in 2008 draft
    Zak DeOssie, 116th pick in 2007 draft

Vince Biegel is the 9th

Author of the article (Justin Mosquera) has written for years on edge rushing prospects.

I still wish we would have signed Conner Barwin in free agency this year. Oh well...
    that's impressive. i seldom watch college football but he seems pretty good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by beveaux1 View Post
    I'll repeat what I said before. If TJ Watt had the last name of Biegel, he and Vince would have been drafted within a round of each other. The difference being the ages of the two players.
    I don't know. I knew Rocky Beigel....he is a big name in wisconsin sports around my era
    I don't hold Grudges. It's counterproductive.

Boo. Though he seems to be evaluating him solely at ILB.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-3-report-card

No. 108 Green Bay Packers: Vince Biegel, Linebacker, Wisconsin

Strengths: Motor, instincts, experience.

Weaknesses: Foot injuries, power game.

Biegel is your central-casting, old-school Big Ten linebacker. He has the tools to be a run-thumping NFL inside linebacker, but a long history of foot injuries cloud his potential, and he needs to become better at converting his size and his effort into block-shedding and gap-plugging. Also, old-school thumpers just aren't as useful as they used to be. The Packers are really leaning into the defense in this year's draft. Grade: C.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Biegel isn't really old school thumper, is he? Also, didn't he play in a school record 54 games?
    "There's a lot of interest in the draft. It's great. But quite frankly, most of the people that are commenting on it don't know anything about what they are talking about."--Ted Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyWallbangers View Post
    Biegel isn't really old school thumper, is he? Also, didn't he play in a school record 54 games?
    Sorta. Be isn't terribly strong but he does fine with contact. He could play inside. Not precisely old school, but the review is trying to forecast him as an ILB.

The foot injury is listed because I believe it came up twice and foot injuries do tend to repeat.

He missed two games his senior year after getting screw inserted into his foot.
    Last edited by pbmax; 05-01-2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I really don't he him as an ILB. If he's good, he might make it possible to use Matthews inside more. I'm guardedly optimistic about Biegel based on his junior year. Arguably (as I read somewhere) teams game planned for him, which had something to do with why T.J. Watt looked so good.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

Blog Entries
    Dude is a tough nut; he came back from his 4 week injury in two weeks.

I may have preferred the RB but Vince was the next best guy on he board there.

He's a smash mouth football player. Bottom line. And he can rush the passer. He's a guy you try at ILB but he's going to pressure and get to the QB. SOLID PICK TT

Tampa Bay called him at 7:00 AM in the morning and let him know he was theirs if he got to them
    LIFE IS ABOUT CHAMPIONSHIPS; I JUST REALIZED THIS. The MILWAUKEE BUCKS have won the same number of championships over the past 50 years as the Green Bay Packers. Ten years from now, who will have more championships, and who will be the fart in the wind ?

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar
    He is not an inside linebacker at this point. He does one thing really well and that is rushing up the field

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Nutz View Post
    He is not an inside linebacker at this point. He does one thing really well and that is rushing up the field
    If you're only going to do one thing well, nothing beats making a QB a bit nervous.

[QUOTE=wist43;927504]I cant post the video of Beigel in the LSU game as I'm on my phone, but go on YouTube and watch the tape... he doesn't make a single play of his own inertia. The couple of plays he does make are b/c he's unblocked.

He gets handled easily by the TE, he can't get off blocks, he lacks chase speed, on and on... watch the tape.[/QUOTE

He did about as much as Watt did in that game. They both played disciplined rushes and forced lsu to throw the ball. Biegel also had one of only two sacks.

I thought he played very well.

And if that is the tape to use to claim Biegel was over drafted, then in that same breath you can also say Watt was a major reach in rmd 1.

[QUOTE=Sparkey;927862]
    Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I cant post the video of Beigel in the LSU game as I'm on my phone, but go on YouTube and watch the tape... he doesn't make a single play of his own inertia. The couple of plays he does make are b/c he's unblocked.

He gets handled easily by the TE, he can't get off blocks, he lacks chase speed, on and on... watch the tape.[/QUOTE

He did about as much as Watt did in that game. They both played disciplined rushes and forced lsu to throw the ball. Biegel also had one of only two sacks.

I thought he played very well.

And if that is the tape to use to claim Biegel was over drafted, then in that same breath you can also say Watt was a major reach in rmd 1.
    The Badgers won, and did so mainly with defense. Either Biegel and Watt - the two top Badger defenders - were doing something right or else they were so damn good that L.S.U. gameplanned so much against them that the rest of the D came through big.

All of that being said, though, Badger homer that I proudly am, I am just slightly worried that Biegel - being one cog in the machine of a great D - might just turn out to be kinda mediocre with the Packers. I hope I'm wrong, but I guess we'll see.
    What could be more GOOD and NORMAL and AMERICAN than Packer Football?

had foot surgery.

Bretsky is to blame.
    C.H.U.D.

Quote Originally Posted by gbgary View Post
    had foot surgery.
    He's Packer People.

I have been wanting to post this for a week.

FUCK!

579!

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I don't know. I knew Rocky Beigel....he is a big name in wisconsin sports around my era
    Where you from---I went to school with Rocky and TD.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    Which play are you talking about?? Where he dove in and got the guy by the ankle?? I remember that one; and, I remember he actually had a sack in that game when he came in unblocked, overran the QB, the QB stepped up in the pocket but didn't get rid of the ball and Beigel was able to get him from behind.

Where on tape are talking about??

Overall, that video is not a pretty sight for Beigel. He simply is not an explosive athlete, not 'sudden, quick twitch... there's nothing about him that says he has a ceiling above anything more than a decent backup and special teams player.

I would be looking to grab those types of guys out of the ranks of undrafted FA's, and focus my draft picks on trying to procure guys that can be starters or have upside to be starters.
    so, for posterity sake...who would you have taken with first pick in 4th.