Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Vince Biegel 2017 Fourth Round Choice

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "NFL COMPARISON Frank Zombo"

That let the air right out of my sails on this guy.
    Lance Zierlein is everyone on football blogs. I am not sure how good of a scout he is, but I do know this:

Zombo was a UDFA, At a minimum, Biegel makes a better prospect.
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

I don't think he is comparing Biegel the prospect to Zombo the prospect, he is comparing Biegel the prospect to Zombo the 8th year veteran who started 11 games last year. I don't think it matters that Zombo was undrafted.

Then the comparison makes me even sadder.
    "The Devine era is actually worse than you remember if you go back and look at it."

KYPack

Pretty much saying he doesn't have much upside but he's assignment sure.

I didn't like the pick but I understand it, after losing Peppers we need depth at OLB because the chances of Clay and Peppers not missing a game are slim to none.

Perry, not Peppers
    Bud Adams told me the franchise he admired the most was the Kansas City Chiefs. Then he asked for more hookers and blow.

Smh don't know why I keep doing that haha

It can never be justified to over draft a guy just to fill a need. I want to fill needs, but would argue we either trade up to get the requisite value, or stay put and take a player at another position who is worthy of that pick.

Biegel may play a position of need, but I don't think he fills it - just as I don't think Fackrell fills it. That's 2 mid-round spitballs that Ted has thrown at a critical position, combined with the mid-round spitballs that are Ryan and Martinez. Everyone of those guys is athletically limited, and hence have low ceilings.

In short, TT is not filling holes in the starting lineup, he's playing his same old quantity game in hopes of hitting on one of them.
    wist

I cant post the video of Beigel in the LSU game as I'm on my phone, but go on YouTube and watch the tape... he doesn't make a single play of his own inertia. The couple of plays he does make are b/c he's unblocked.

He gets handled easily by the TE, he can't get off blocks, he lacks chase speed, on and on... watch the tape.
    wist

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
    "NFL COMPARISON Frank Zombo"

That let the air right out of my sails on this guy.
    I think Vince is a better athlete than Frank.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    It can never be justified to over draft a guy just to fill a need. I want to fill needs, but would argue we either trade up to get the requisite value, or stay put and take a player at another position who is worthy of that pick.

Biegel may play a position of need, but I don't think he fills it - just as I don't think Fackrell fills it. That's 2 mid-round spitballs that Ted has thrown at a critical position, combined with the mid-round spitballs that are Ryan and Martinez. Everyone of those guys is athletically limited, and hence have low ceilings.

In short, TT is not filling holes in the starting lineup, he's playing his same old quantity game in hopes of hitting on one of them.
    What EDGE player at that spot in the draft would have been a better choice?

There is ample evidence that teams cannot identify successful NFL players at better than a 50% clip. None of them do that well over time.

So quantity over "quality" is a winning strategy. That isn't to say you want all 7th round picks, but you do want more rather than less overall.

Quote Originally Posted by pbmax View Post
    There is ample evidence that teams cannot identify successful NFL players at better than a 50% clip. None of them do that well over time.

So quantity over "quality" is a winning strategy. That isn't to say you want all 7th round picks, but you do want more rather than less overall.
    You're missing the point...

The point is - if you don't trade up from a given spot, you can't force a pick for a player based on position. I would rather have seen him take a player with more upside at another position, than to spend a valuable mid-round pick on a guy with a low ceiling simply b/c he plays a position of need.

Like I said, watch his game tape of the LSU game.
    wist

Wolf Pack Rat HOFer Deputy Nutz's Avatar

The complaints that I have with Biegel are what is apparent in this film. He would have been a first rounder if he finished plays. He takes good angles on the backside and holds contain when he is on playside. He was the ground a bit much throughout the game. He was double teamed a handful of times, it was obvious that LSU was chipping him with backs and tight ends.

My feeling is that he holds value with the fourth pick. I used to be like a lot of you and thought I knew the draft and value of the players because I read websites and read draft magazines and complained at all the moves that didn't happen that I thought should have happened. These GM's hit record on the draft isn't real good and this is what they do for a living, Most likely this pick doesn't work out and other 4th rounders won't either. Some will and some of you will point to those successful fourth round picks and cry foul because you thought the Packers should have drafted that particular player. What ever helps you get through your lives.
    Last edited by Deputy Nutz; 04-30-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Well look at it this way. He isn't going to get chipped or double teamed this year.

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by wist43 View Post
    I cant post the video of Beigel in the LSU game as I'm on my phone, but go on YouTube and watch the tape... he doesn't make a single play of his own inertia. The couple of plays he does make are b/c he's unblocked.

He gets handled easily by the TE, he can't get off blocks, he lacks chase speed, on and on... watch the tape.
    You must be blind, wist. He blew up a critical 3rd and 1 play all by himself, and LSU had a blocker assigned to him. Biegel was fast enough to beat the blocker to the spot.

I don't think this kid in any way is our knight in shining armor at LB, but he's not a bad value in round 4. I do agree that Thompson needs to alter his approach to this position...it hasn't gotten him anywhere in 15 years.
    It's such a GOOD feeling...13 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!!

I stole this find from another site and thought it was pretty interesting:

Since 2005, in the first four rounds of the draft, there have only been nine college pass-rushers who have:

posted at least a 4.67-second 40-yard dash time
    were at least 245 pounds or heavier
    posted at least a 6.92-second three-cone time
    Here are those players:

Von Miller, second pick in 2011 draft
    Vic Beasley, eighth pick in 2015 draft
    Anthony Barr, ninth pick in 2014 draft
    DeMarcus Ware, 11th pick in 2005 draft
    Bruce Irvin, 15th pick in 2012 draft
    Connor Barwin, 46th pick in 2009 draft
    Cliff Avril, 92nd pick in 2008 draft
    Zak DeOssie, 116th pick in 2007 draft

Vince Biegel is the 9th

Author of the article (Justin Mosquera) has written for years on edge rushing prospects.

I still wish we would have signed Conner Barwin in free agency this year. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by King Friday View Post
    You must be blind, wist. He blew up a critical 3rd and 1 play all by himself, and LSU had a blocker assigned to him. Biegel was fast enough to beat the blocker to the spot.

I don't think this kid in any way is our knight in shining armor at LB, but he's not a bad value in round 4. I do agree that Thompson needs to alter his approach to this position...it hasn't gotten him anywhere in 15 years.
    Which play are you talking about?? Where he dove in and got the guy by the ankle?? I remember that one; and, I remember he actually had a sack in that game when he came in unblocked, overran the QB, the QB stepped up in the pocket but didn't get rid of the ball and Beigel was able to get him from behind.

Where on tape are talking about??

Overall, that video is not a pretty sight for Beigel. He simply is not an explosive athlete, not 'sudden, quick twitch... there's nothing about him that says he has a ceiling above anything more than a decent backup and special teams player.

I would be looking to grab those types of guys out of the ranks of undrafted FA's, and focus my draft picks on trying to procure guys that can be starters or have upside to be starters.
    wist